Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Buttons are nice, but I quickly got past not having them on a Nook ST. Well, actually it does have buttons, but they are so awful I wouldn't dream of using them.

I picked up an old PRS-650 and it was kinda weird having buttons again, though not in a bad way.

Re: not page turning in landscape mode, and not scrolling menus, etc. It shows Amazon got a basic version of the software out the door, and presumably will extend it later. I suppose that makes sense. There's less that can go wrong. Either that, or they simply are working on a tight deadline for release before xmas.
This is the FW style they have used for at least two years now, so not much hope of seeing improvements in menus are the return of 180 degree mirroring.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But wouldn't it look weird upside down? (For text rotated 180 degrees in order to swap the locations of the page turn buttons, as discussed above.)
Yes of course. The last Kindle I had that could be rotated to any side was the Keyboard, and having the keyboard rotated to the top was really weird looking. But some people used it that way I guess.
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #63
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Re: not page turning in landscape mode, and not scrolling menus, etc. It shows Amazon got a basic version of the software out the door, and presumably will extend it later.
But if the SW had been properly designed, adding page turn buttons would be done in one place. It is especially egregious, since the buttons worked in landscape on previous kindles.

Ages ago, the Pocketbook 360 had user reprogramable page turn buttons and D-ring with long and short press options. The reprogramed functionality rotated with the text for all 4 rotations.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #64
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But wouldn't it look weird upside down? (For text rotated 180 degrees in order to swap the locations of the page turn buttons, as discussed above.)
Sure, if that's what you're looking at. I tend to be looking at the screen while navigating or reading. I don't look at the "top" of the Kindle unless reaching for the power button, which would then be at the bottom. YMMV

ETA - I don't/can't rotate it 180 so not worried about it. The charging port still gets in the way, so I charge before reading or read in landscape.

Last edited by pghaworth; 10-27-2014 at 12:30 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #65
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
But do you hold the Voyage with just one hand? I do, and that becomes problematic as a fat thumb is difficult to position without causing accidental page turns. Holding with two hands it is easier to avoid accidental page turns, but I prefer single hand hold and operation.
Yes, I do read holding with one hand and haven't had a problem. Forgive me if you've indicated this already, but have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the page turn to the lowest setting?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone that owns or has used a Voyage reported to Amazon that the page turn buttons do not work in landscape?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #67
javadoo
Connoisseur
javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
IMO only, the KV buttons are really dogs. I prefer the function of those older buttons to the KV. I think the KV is Amazon seeking to find an answer to the button question in a touchscreen world. They didn't find it for me. I turned them off and kept them off, despite numerous attempts to use them. For me, they just aren't where they need to be, technologically speaking. The touch interface is much faster than the buttons and they way they were designed makes them useless with the way I hold my Kindles and read.
And I am one that didn't care for the old page turn buttons on my Kindle Keyboard. They clicked and were so obnoxious. It wasn't a loud click, but it was just enough to be distracting to me every time I had to turn a page. Really interrupted the reading experience for me. I like the Pagepress "buttons" on the KV because they still work like buttons but they are much more subtle than the KK buttons.

I tend to hold my Kindle on the sides, so the buttons on the KK forced my to shift my grip to avoid the buttons on the side. With the KV I can hold it where I find it most comfortable without buttons in the way.
javadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #68
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I really like the "buttons." It's nice to be able to hold it single-handed and be able to turn the pages without moving my thumb. I have mine on the lightest touch setting, not having any trouble with accidental presses.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #69
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I was used to the buttons on the KK. Now I am getting used to the KV buttons. I like them but one does have to adjust. I have the haptic feedback turned off — I can see when the page turns. I have the sensitivity for page turning on the highest setting. I am still able to rest my fingers on the page turn "buttons" without unintentionally turning a page "most of the time". Happy happy!
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Really like the page forward buttons. I'm using medium sensitivity / high feedback. Page back is awkwardly situated, though: tapping the screen is easier on the rare occasions I need it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
So you now actually have the Voyage, the H2O, and the T68? Are you going to use all of them, or is only one going to stay?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #72
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I'm doubleplus happy with my buttons. I read mostly nonfiction with too many internal links to have ever reliably used page-tapping, and swiping 1000 times per book never felt comfortable either. Page-turn buttons were the one thing I've keenly missed since switching to the Paperwhite, so yay that they're back. This was literally 50%+ of the reason I upgraded.

With pressure at medium (and feedback at high; love the feedback) they feel natural and I haven't had an issue with spurious page turns, except one time when I reached across my desk with my other hand to grab something and inadvertently jumped forward a few pages. We'll see how they work with winter gloves.

They are a bit low for my generic-sized hands, so though small-handed people might be happy, our big-handed compatriots will probably find them inconveniently placed. With the KV corner in the palm of my hand, my thumb rests precisely between the forward and reverse buttons. Good for no spurious page-turns, bad for just being able to squeeze a little, like I used to do for the K3. Gotta move that thumb a whole centimeter; oh the inconvenience.

All in all, the happy outweighs the facepalm.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #73
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I'm going to post a Voyage page turn button poll of people that actually have used a Voyage. I prefer to limit this particular poll to the sensitivity/responsiveness of the buttons. I understand that button placement and accidental page turns are issues, but I wand to leave those for a separate poll or discussion. The choices I am planning are:
Code:
Too hard to trigger even at most sensitive
Most sensitive is best setting for me
I would prefer between most and middle
Middle (default) is best setting for me
I would prefer between middle and least
Least sensitive is best setting for me
Least sensitive is too sensitive for me
Buttons turned off, don't want
I object to page turn buttons on the Voyage
but I am open to considering suggestions for changes.

Tags
voyage