Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2022, 03:07 AM   #1
Elder Raven
Elder Raven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
DRM problem with Kobo H20

I've been using Calibre for a very long time, and have had the same Kobo reader for several years. Until now, I have never had problems with either Calibre or the reader

The last couple of times I loaded books onto the reader and tried to open them I got a message saying the file couldn't be opened because it was protected by DRM. This is not the case.
When I reset the reader, those files had disappeared.
I tried again just now with two books I downloaded from Amazon. They were AZW, which I converted to Epub using Calibre, and there was no indication of any DRM. The books open fine in calibre, but once again I got the same error message on the reader.

This is extremely frustrating. Has anyone else had similar problems, or have any bright ideas for a fix?

Thanks in advance
Elder Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What Firmware on the H2O?
Try and open the book FROM the DEVICE VIEW, using Calibre. ?? what happens
Also was the book format SUPPOSED TO BE on the device EPUB or KEPUB?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:10 AM   #3
Elder Raven
Elder Raven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi. I don't have the Kobo to hand at the moment, so I can't tell you the firmware. Suffice to say it's the same firmware that has worked for over 1500 books so far without a hitch (until now).
All the books are in Epub format - some converted from Mobi, some from AZW. Previously, being a converted book caused no problems when trying to open or read.
I've successfully opened the book in Calibre, but will try your suggestion of trying "device view".
Thanks
Elder Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:13 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are not running 4.34, I suggest you install 4.34.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
Cemeles
Cemeles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm having the same issue, using firmware 4.34.20097, downloaded through KoboUtilities. All newly added books I open show a DRM warning and I can't read them.

The KoboUtilities plugin doesn't find any new updates. I have only tested opening epub files converted from markdown with pandoc.

I don't connect my Kobo to the internet, but that is probably irrelevant.

Edit: The books open fine in Calibre, obviously, since they're just pandoc output.

Last edited by Cemeles; 12-21-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Cemeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350546

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemeles View Post
I'm having the same issue, using firmware 4.34.20097, downloaded through KoboUtilities. All newly added books I open show a DRM warning and I can't read them.

The KoboUtilities plugin doesn't find any new updates. I have only tested opening epub files converted from markdown with pandoc.

I don't connect my Kobo to the internet, but that is probably irrelevant.

Edit: The books open fine in Calibre, obviously, since they're just pandoc output.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote