Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Question Kindle App in Emulated Android/iOS: Naughty Idea

Let's say we're in Windows and want to have an emulated Android. There are some options, Bluestacks and Windroy come to mind. Installed them. Tried to install Kindle App, couldn't. Sideloaded the corresponding apk file (Kindle 3.8.2.4.apk)
Now Amazon Kindle app is installed but can't get to run. The error thrown involves a file called "drmserver.exe"

Have you guys done this before? What do you suggest? I simply want to run Kindle App inside emulated Android/iOS (NOT "Kindle for Windows" or "Kindle for Mac" applications)

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-06-2013 at 09:02 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Let's say we're in Windows and want to have an emulated Android. There are some options, Bluestacks and Windroy come to mind. Installed them. Tried to install Kindle App, couldn't. Sideloaded the corresponding apk file (Kindle 3.8.2.4.apk)
Now Amazon Kindle app is installed but can't get to run. The error thrown involves a file called "drmserver.exe"

Have you guys done this before? What do you suggest? I simply want to run Kindle App inside emulated Android/iOS (NOT "Kindle for Windows" or "Kindle for Mac" applications)

Any ideas appreciated.
Install the DRM server maybe?
I.E: Most likely your Android/iOS emulation is incomplete (not equip'd to handle DRM protected media).

Last edited by knc1; 11-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmmm.. and you are sure this isn't some malware issue. Only references I can find to that in the last 7 years! point to a malware infection.... I thought MsPMSPSv.exe handled windows DRM stuff? at least for media player AFAIK.

I'm just gonna ask point blank... have you run a malware checker lately?
Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by twobob; 11-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install the DRM server maybe?
I.E: Most likely your Android/iOS emulation is complete (not equip'd to handle DRM protected media).
Well knc1, it's not really worth installing a DRM server! A simpler solution was preferred.
The emulator in fact is incomplete OR Kindle App has a way to detect it's not being run on a legitimate device.

twobob: Yes, this is a virgin Windows 8.
I believe drmserver.exe is not malware though.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's my confusion: 3 scenarios

a) the kindle app - android - explicitly making a request of/for an .exe. gotta be no.

b) if as you say, the emulator is incomplete then why would something that doesn't have enough knowledge of something (DRM in this instance) know enough about it to make an intelligent request for an underlying .exe that doesn't exist?

c) Even just assuming that windows 8 was doing some funky parsing of the "type of request" - why then would it make a request of itself for an uninstalled/configured part...
(an .exe) - you sure it says exe?

either way it doesn't add up in my mind... none of it.
has to be something windroy? is doing?

and it's not a virgin system, you already said you installed 2 things on it

That said...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...s_78_natively/ and
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2118164&page=4
there was some mention on there of drmserver issues - although no .exe

Last edited by twobob; 11-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It seems drmserver.exe is part of Windroy itself. Likely the reason the Kindle app failed is the same reason the Google Play app fails - it uses native ARM code and that hasn't been fully emulated yet. See here
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Well knc1, it's not really worth installing a DRM server! A simpler solution was preferred.
The emulator in fact is incomplete OR Kindle App has a way to detect it's not being run on a legitimate device.

twobob: Yes, this is a virgin Windows 8.
I believe drmserver.exe is not malware though.
yup that was a typo: s/complete/incomplete/
your emulation should include emulation of the in-core DRM services but it does not.

Media processors implement DRM in hardware, where it can't be messed with by the end-user.
A thing difficult to emulate.

Also a thing difficult to discuss here while staying within the rules and guidelines of Mobileread.

Plus, add in a little bit of application mis-programming:
Should be reporting the missing DRM support, but continue to run so that it can be used with unprotected documents and media.

You should probably move your questions from this forum site over to the forum site of the emulator that is in-complete.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It seems drmserver.exe is part of Windroy itself. Likely the reason the Kindle app failed is the same reason the Google Play app fails - it uses native ARM code and that hasn't been fully emulated yet. See here
Yes Paul. Thanks for the hints. Yes, that seems to be the case. If you can give BlueStacks + Kindle App a try, that'd be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Here's my confusion: 3 scenarios

a) the kindle app - android - explicitly making a request of/for an .exe. gotta be no.

b) if as you say, the emulator is incomplete then why would something that doesn't have enough knowledge of something (DRM in this instance) know enough about it to make an intelligent request for an underlying .exe that doesn't exist?

c) Even just assuming that windows 8 was doing some funky parsing of the "type of request" - why then would it make a request of itself for an uninstalled/configured part...
(an .exe) - you sure it says exe?

either way it doesn't add up in my mind... none of it.
has to be something windroy? is doing?

and it's not a virgin system, you already said you installed 2 things on it

That said...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...s_78_natively/ and
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2118164&page=4
there was some mention on there of drmserver issues - although no .exe
hahahaha good points twobob.
latepaul has it right: Windroy destroyed!

P.S. I can't believe I'm actually using my eReaders for reading!!! What on hell/heaven/Earth has gotten into to me? I'm losing my developer spirit I guess!!! ?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-07-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Yes Paul. Thanks for the hints. Yes, that seems to be the case. If you can give BlueStacks + Kindle App a try, that'd be appreciated.
I didn't actually try anything I just did a quick google.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I'm using an emulated android inside Vmware, and I can run everything is not 3D on it...
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
nice catch. I'm not familiar with Windroy,

Also, very much enjoy your blog.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
I tried the kindle app in bluestacks for mac. doesn't work either. did anyone find a solution yet? I'll continue checking for alternatives.

I'd love to be able to use whispersync on mac with my sideloaded books too.
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
update: I got the Kindle for Android app running on my mac, with the "Genymotion" android emulator.
Guess it will work the same way on Windows!

How to do this:
-install genymotion
-install Android Developer Toolkit
-install "ARM Translation" on your VM
-either install google play on your VM or copy the Kindle.apk directly into your emulated Android tablet!

Voila, Personal Documents and whispersync on your Mac.

If you have any questions, please PM me!
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote