Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Question K3 Keyboard has a few non-responsive keys

Broke the screen on my Kindle Keyboard 3-4 years ago. A new screen was about $75 at the time (so it was just de-registered & stored it in a drawer and got a PW)

But about 6 months ago saw that new screens were only ~$25 and a new battery ~$12. So I bought them and replaced them myself. Everything was working great. But i still had my PW so never really used the K3.

Today I decided to start it up and load it up with books. But needed to register it with Amazon first.... Tried entering my Amazon e-mail/password and discovered that the "Q", "W", & "E" keys were not responding, but all the other ones worked. (need W and E)

I really, really don't want to take this kindle apart again to troubleshoot it.

I am almost positive that all the keys were working when I reassembled it after replacing the screen. (its been so long ago I cant remember, but I am sure I would have tested everything when I finished putting it back together)

And I am wondering if anyone knows what might be the cause of them not working now.

Kindle Keyboard 3g/WiFi (USA) B006

Its been years since I have used it, but I am pretty sure the K3 did Not have an on-screen keyboard for A-Z, like it does for the "sym" keys. Correct?

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 11-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Why don’t you just change your amazon name and password (temporarily, just to register your K 3, if you don’t want to change them forever) so you don’t need to use these keys?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Yes, the Kindle Keyboard does not have an onscreen keyboard for the letters. You could contact Amazon and have them register it to your account from their end.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
You could contact Amazon and have them register it to your account from their end.
Hmm I will see if I can do that.

Re:temporarily changing Name and password on the account. The only thing I see for Name on login, is your E-mail address. I do Not want to un-link my e-mail from my account, and AFAIK you cant add extra e-mails for log on purposes.

EDIT: Hmm I wonder if I can somehow do copy/paste at the amazon logon screen on my Kindle Keyboard. Will have to check that out too.

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 11-19-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
Hmm I will see if I can do that.

Re:temporarily changing Name and password on the account. The only thing I see for Name on login, is your E-mail address. I do Not want to un-link my e-mail from my account, and AFAIK you cant add extra e-mails for log on purposes.

EDIT: Hmm I wonder if I can somehow do copy/paste at the amazon logon screen on my Kindle Keyboard. Will have to check that out too.
Good point, I forgot it is tied to your email. I just log on to amazon automatically, so that’s why I forgot. Can amazon customer service help you sign in to your K3 from their end perhaps?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've had success getting unresponsive buttons on telephones and remote controls working by simply cleaning their motherboards with Q-tips and alcohol. It's worth a try.

Last edited by montalex; 11-25-2018 at 05:49 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I've had success getting unresponsive buttons on telephones and remote controls working by simply cleaning their motherboards with Q-tips and alcohol. It's worth a try.
Yeah that's what I will probably end up having to do, I was hoping I would not need to take it apart again.

To quote Johnny 5, "No Disassemble!"
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I get it, but all you have to do is pop the faceplate off, and the keyboard part of the circuit board is right there. To tell the truth, I have no idea how a simple cleaning helps with keys/buttons. It may not with Kindle, as the keys are closed bubbles on the circuit board. All right, laugh at me for not remembering what those are called... But they aren't like buttons on a cordless phone.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
JohnnyBook
Groupie

Its been awhile since I tool it apart, so don't remember the steps at this time (I followed several Utube and web site disassembly descriptions for screen replacement, If the keyboard CB is that accessible, then I should have no problems.

Thanks,

Tags
k3g, kindle keyboard