Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Announces New Fire HD 8 Tablet

Introducing the All-New Amazon Fire HD 8 with Alexa Hands-Free

Quote:
The all-new Fire HD 8 offers a stunning 8” HD display with over 1 million pixels, a quad-core processor, 16 GB of internal storage with support for up to 400 GB more via microSD, and up to 10 hours of mixed use battery life—only $79.99

Introducing always-ready, hands-free access with Alexa on your Fire HD 8 tablet—simply ask Alexa to play a movie, make a video call, set a timer, dim the lights, find a recipe, or show your smart home security camera—using just your voice
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 6, 2018-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced the next generation Fire HD 8—now with always-ready, hands-free access to Alexa. With up to 10 hours of mixed use battery life, the all-new Fire HD 8 offers a stunning 8” HD display with over 1 million pixels, a quad-core processor, 16 GB of internal storage with support for up to 400 GB more, plus hands-free access to Alexa—only $79.99. The all-new Fire HD 8 is available for pre-order today at www.amazon.com/firehd8.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0906005525/en/

“Fire HD 10 customers love having easy, hands-free access with Alexa and we’re excited to bring that same experience to the all-new Fire HD 8. Just ask Alexa to turn on the lights, play a movie, or make a video call—even when the tablet screen is on standby,” said Kevin Keith, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “The Fire HD 8 features a beautiful HD display, a fast quad-core processor, all-day battery life, and more expandable storage, plus everything you love about Alexa, hands-free and still only $79.99.”

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Nice price, but I'd rather stick with the devil I know (Google) then switch to a new one (Amazon.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yay!! I'm not in the market for a new Fire since I have an old version, and honestly like some of its features offered back then even if it's slow, but I rarely use it other than for digital comics, digital cookbooks and color needs.

I'm salivating waiting to hear - and hopefully not be disappointed - of any new released e-ink models this year. Here's hoping but you never know. They are trying to push their Alexa devices quite a bit, which gives a bit more incentive to release another fire that supports it, so that doesn't necessarily guarantee other e-reader releases.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I hate Alexa... keep mine turned off Amazon Still manages to send updates thru

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-06-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Things get better and better!

I have seriously thought about the new Fire HD with stand alone Alexa, but still we have so many devices in the house, I just have balked at adding to the collection without some major breakthrough. This is cheap enough that maybe it comes under the oh-hum category. This will be especially so when the sales come at Thanksgiving.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I hate Alex... keep mine turned off Amazon Still manages to send updates thru
Hate it so much you refuse to use it's actual name?

Ignore me, I'm in one of my weird humor moods. Must be because of the heat in here - the office AC is not working.

I don't have Alexa personally. It's a cool seeming device but it's not something I'd actually use. Unlike most people, I don't use the services it offers for my music, being an 8Tracks subscriber and old fashioned MP3 player lover instead. I have a retro radio setup in my kitchen if I ever want to turn on the music outside my computer room where I usually camp (with surround speakers) anyway, so I don't see any benefit for me personally. I use Roku and not the Firestick so that's not compatible either, and I don't mind old fashion remote controlling.

It's nice that this supports this for users, though, and if I ever actually get into it.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't use Firestick it wont work at my house. Yet Ruko & Vudu work great.

Funny how folks complain about Amazon taking over ebooks & such Yet Jump on other Amazon devices like they gods gift...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't use Firestick it wont work at my house. Yet Ruko & Vudu work great.

Funny how folks complain about Amazon taking over ebooks & such Yet Jump on other Amazon devices like they gods gift...
I like Amazon and technology advancements if I actually get a use out of them -- me, the speakers look too small on these devices to be any music benefit even if I did listen to the services they offered.

We've had a few Rokus over the years and I really enjoy them, so I have no desire to change to the stick right now.

I also love the Android system with Google and their phones, so have no desire to try another phone either. We work with what suits us I guess.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Hate it so much you refuse to use it's actual name?

Ignore me, I'm in one of my weird humor moods. Must be because of the heat in here - the office AC is not working.

I don't have Alexa personally. It's a cool seeming device but it's not something I'd actually use. Unlike most people, I don't use the services it offers for my music, being an 8Tracks subscriber and old fashioned MP3 player lover instead. I have a retro radio setup in my kitchen if I ever want to turn on the music outside my computer room where I usually camp (with surround speakers) anyway, so I don't see any benefit for me personally. I use Roku and not the Firestick so that's not compatible either, and I don't mind old fashion remote controlling.

It's nice that this supports this for users, though, and if I ever actually get into it.
Picture this. Early in the morning or late at night, dark outside, still in the bed, eyes bleary and still shut, muscles stiff, "Alexa what time is it? Alexa what is the weather? Alexa set an alarm for: ,
Alexa Fox News, Alexa CNBC , Market news, bitcoin, Cancel, Alexa play Simple Man.",
and so on.

You never have to move or open your eyes.

I will go into the music, etc., in another post.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Picture this. Early in the morning or late at night, dark outside, still in the bed, eyes bleary and still shut, muscles stiff, "Alexa what time is it? Alexa what is the weather? Alexa set an alarm for: ,
Alexa Fox News, Alexa CNBC , Market news, bitcoin, Cancel, Alexa play Simple Man.",
and so on.

You never have to move or open your eyes.

I will go into the music, etc., in another post.
Picture this. Alexa, get dressed and go to work for me
Old 09-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Picture this. Alexa, get dressed and go to work for me
The Surrogates
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Surrogates
Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Sadly, the new machine doesn't come close to the resolution of the old Fire HDX 7. The site claims the new one has 189 ppi, while the old HDX 7 has over 300 ppi. I'd love to get a new Fire, but not until the new one is at the level of the old one!
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm still wondering why this is being announced as if it was a major change. Other than the built-in Alexa, what is the difference between this Fire HD 8 and the 2017 Fire HD 8? We've added an Alexa app is big news?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm still wondering why this is being announced as if it was a major change. Other than the built-in Alexa, what is the difference between this Fire HD 8 and the 2017 Fire HD 8? We've added an Alexa app is big news?
It has a better front facing camera.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-intro...-front-camera/

The hands free Alexa mode lets the tablets work as voice actuated video phones so the camera boost is noteworthy because it now matches most of the features of the Echo Show, which sells for $129.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote