Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
NetFront 3.2 for PPC English released

As we promised you last week, ACCESS has just released the English version of its embedded web-browser for Pocket PC, NetFront 3.2!

Edit: Alex attached some impressive screenshots of NetFront to this thread.

Edit 2: Discounts for registered 3.1 users apply but we don't know yet how much you'll save.

Edit 3: Upgrade fee from 3.1 to 3.2 is USD $14.

Edit 4: Use ACNF38529 as a checkout code to receive a USD $10 discount.

NetFront v3.2 with JV-Lite2 Rel1.01 includes advanced features such as Rapid-Render, Smart-Fit Rendering, Multi-Window, Auto-Cruise, Java applets support with JV-Lite2 VM, and Flash support. See attached file for a full feature list and changelog.

You can download the trial via PocketGear. If you decide to buy it, use ACNF38529 as a limited time discount code (silly PocketGear wouldn't tell me the amount of the discount unless I ordered the product).
Attached Files
File Type: txt Readme_e_d.txt (6.8 KB, 947 views)
Old 06-22-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I love this browser! Not only is it at least 10x faster than Pocket IE, but look how beautiful it renders non-mobile websites!

Screenshots 1-5: Just-Fit Rendering/Full Browsing/+75% Zoom
Screenshots 6-7: Just-Fit Rendering/Text Browsing/+75% Zoom

Do you see the GoogleAds in Screenshot 1? Yes, here we are speaking about real Javascript support. Pocket IE wouldn't display these.

The mode 'Text Browsing' is also worth mentioning. Non-mobile websites load just as fast as mobile-optimized. Using NetFront 3.2, forget about external proxies such as Skweezer. This is the real thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen001.png
Views:	859
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen002.png
Views:	720
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen003.png
Views:	866
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen004.png
Views:	640
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen005.png
Views:	699
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen006.png
Views:	543
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen007.png
Views:	686
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	710  
Advert
Old 06-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
lindseydyson
Deputy Editor Palm Addict
lindseydyson doesn't litterlindseydyson doesn't litter

Device: Palm Addict
Very nice, one hopes an upate for Palm will be soon.

Lindsey Dyson
Deputy Editor PalmAddict
Personal Asistant to Sammual McLoughlin
Welcoming over 40,000 visitors a day to Palm Addict
Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
So what are the updates that make this product worth the $14 to upgrade from version 3.1 to 3.2? Why should I part with my hard earned cash?

Edit - Nice screen shots by the way. Thank you for that effort! Greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From the readme:

7. Changes from NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC
--------------------------------------------
(1) Browsing mode
* In addition to Full Browsing mode, the following modes have been added:
- Text Browsing
- Simple Browsing
- Rapid-Render

(2) Certificate Manager
* Added features to perform more detailed settings and management
for SSL certificates
* Added support for importing client certificates, and client authentication.

(3) Other improvements
* Operations for items such as bookmarks
To execute an item such as a bookmark, you had to tap the screen twice
in the earlier versions. In this version, you can use the ENTER key to
execute an item.
Opening a folder can be done with the right cursor button, and
closing a folder can be done with the left cursor button.

* Operations for tabbed windows
Added a close button on tabbed windows.

* Cache mode
Added "Network first only on startup" in addition to
"Cache first".

* Saving format for Auto-Cruise
In earlier versions, Auto-Cruise data was saved in a unique
format. In this version, the saving format for Auto-Cruise data
has been changed to .mht, the same format used for page memos.
Advert
Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd say the new browser modes (text/simple/rapid) and lots of bug fixes make this a valuable upgrade... of course only if you do a lot of mobile browsing.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
The Duck
The Duck began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v
The discount code is worth $10, fyi. Thanks for sharing it!

Be seeing you,
The Duck
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duck
The discount code is worth $10, fyi. Thanks for sharing it!

Be seeing you,
The Duck
Thank you I just purchased it.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
victorypoint
victorypoint began at the beginning.

Device: X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I love this browser! Not only is it at least 10x faster than Pocket IE, but look how beautiful it renders non-mobile websites!

Screenshots 1-5: Just-Fit Rendering/Full Browsing/+75% Zoom
Screenshots 6-7: Just-Fit Rendering/Text Browsing/+75% Zoom

Do you see the GoogleAds in Screenshot 1? Yes, here we are speaking about real Javascript support. Pocket IE wouldn't display these.

The mode 'Text Browsing' is also worth mentioning. Non-mobile websites load just as fast as mobile-optimized. Using NetFront 3.2, forget about external proxies such as Skweezer. This is the real thing!
I just purchased and installed. Running in QVGA mode, NetFront seems to default to a Times Roman style font. Is this normal?

Alexander, were you running in VGA mode (ozVGA or something) when doing the screen captures?

-AJ
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

AJ, yes those shots were taking in VGA mode... I forgot to mention that since I am actually used to using this mode all the time (I cannot remember the last time I switched back to QVGA).

Regarding your font issue try this: Go to Tools -> Browser Setting -> View. Click on "Change" in the Font field. In the new Font window, click on "Use proportional font" and then choose "Tahoma" as Font name. That should do.

I've heard you still have to apply the VGA-aware hack to NetFront 3.2 and delete the NF32ResVGA.dll file that comes with it if you want to run in QVGA mode. Not sure.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Actually reports on aximsite say that the hack looks the same as 3.1 with the big address bar and everything. It is somewhat disappointing that it is not VGA compatible, esp. after the Toshiba e800 has been out for so long and it had VGA mode way back when.

Oh well, i guess Ill wait before I pull the trigger.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

On their support site (Japanese), they talk about considering true VGA support after NetFront 3.3. I think by NetFront 3.3 they mean the oem version that is already out. Let's hope so, and that the next version after the just released 3.2 will be 3.4 or something like that, at least with full VGA support.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #13
victorypoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
AJ, yes those shots were taking in VGA mode... I forgot to mention that since I am actually used to using this mode all the time (I cannot remember the last time I switched back to QVGA).

Regarding your font issue try this: Go to Tools -> Browser Setting -> View. Click on "Change" in the Font field. In the new Font window, click on "Use proportional font" and then choose "Tahoma" as Font name. That should do.

I've heard you still have to apply the VGA-aware hack to NetFront 3.2 and delete the NF32ResVGA.dll file that comes with it if you want to run in QVGA mode. Not sure.
Oh yeah, that did the trick. Thanks Alex... much appreciated.

I'm slightly confused about this new "smart-fit" feature. Exactly how does it differ from "just-fit"? And why should I use "rapid-render"? Smart, rapid, ... it's enough to make the head spin!

-AJ
Old 06-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #14
bruceathome
smartphone addict
bruceathome began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone - moving to android soon
I've just got to get myself a PPC. Too much excellent software out there now. My palm is feeling decidedly second rate.

BTW, I love the screenshot from palmsource being used to show off a ppc browser !!!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:15 AM   #15
victorypoint

Forgot to ask Alex, are you using ozVGA? If so, what settings do you use for VGA mode?

-AJ