Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Question Wifi, SDK and iLiad

All of a sudden my iLiad 2nd doesn't connect to the network any more. I didn't change anything, anywhere. I asked Irex-support what to do about it. They said the problem has to do with the SDK I asked for in march 2010. I got an offer to have it repaired for 75 credits = 75 euro + additional 20 credits if they need to reprogram the kernel.
Last Februar I had my iLiad reprogrammed for 95 euro because it crashed after shell access. I have the impression that if iRex doesn't know what to do, they just reprogram the thing. And it is expensive. Does anybody know what I can do? If possible not too complicated.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
You can do the "re-programming" yourself. Try reflash-from-CF.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your help. I tried to reflash, but it didn't change anything. Strange thing is, that when I test it, it makes a connection with the server, but my connection fails. It is a pity, because I like Feedbooks and that doesn't work either. But I'm not going to pay 75 credits for shipping, I mean, I live near Eindhoven (Irex).
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by checktheblues View Post
All of a sudden my iLiad 2nd doesn't connect to the network any more. I didn't change anything, anywhere. I asked Irex-support what to do about it. They said the problem has to do with the SDK I asked for in march 2010.
You're talking about the developers package being installed on your device? That shouldn't prevent the network access from working.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment

This is the first mail I got from iRex
Quote:
De enige oorzaak van dit probleem kan liggen in de geinstalleerde software. Mijn collega heeft informatie over uw iLiad opgezocht, waaruit blijkt dat in maart 2010 een SDK-versie is opgehaald voor dit apparaat.
Het vervelende van SDK is, zoals u weet, dat deze software nooit geheel stabiel werkt. In dit geval uit zich dat bij de WiFi verbinding.

Onze technische dienst is bereid uw iLiad te onderzoeken, en eventueel de kernel wederom te programmeren. Voor transport en onderzoek wordt u gevraagd om 75 Service Credits aan te schaffen op www.irexshop.com.
Mocht er opnieuw een reprogramming nodig zijn, zal later een additionele betaling van 20 Service Credits worden gevraagd.
Basically they say the SDK causes the iLiad to be unstable and in this case it is the Wifi that is affected by it. Their second mail said that the software I installed after the SDK causes the problem with the Wifi, because it is not develloped and tested by iRex. But how can they know that I installed anything at all?
I'm not much of an programmer, so I followed Adams advice about the programs to the letter. I didn't install anything these last weeks, but before : zip for reflash, MRXVT, FBRreader, Dillo, iNewsstand, Mahjong, Ace of Penguin, Dictionary, Minipad, IPDFinstaller 2.12, New Lister. All these programs work like a charm, except Feedbooks not now. I just hope the instability won't affect the iLiad as an ereader. I use it a lot.
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

The Linux kernel of iLiad is hidden, so it's nearly impossible that we users can do anything to it.

All of the homebrew, third party software that we installed on iLiad will only apply some change to the root file system of iLiad. When you do a reflash-from-CF (with format option), everything on the root file system is wiped out and replaced with the contents on the CF. Then the iLiad will be restored to its initial state.

If you have done a reflash-from-CF and still got wifi problem, then I guess you won't get your problem solved by sending it back to iRex.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment

I did a reflash from a CF and tried to format; I edited config. on notepad to 'format', and backed up the contents of the iLiad, but I couldn't get it to format.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment

I will leave my iLiad as it is and not send it back to iRex. I live practicially round the corner so I could take it there (and save 75 credits). Anyway, you say they can't fix it either.
Thank you very much for your help. I only use the wifi to upload books from Feedbook.com. and updates from iRex. I can work around that, I guess.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by checktheblues View Post
I did a reflash from a CF and tried to format; I edited config. on notepad to 'format', and backed up the contents of the iLiad, but I couldn't get it to format.
Using Windows XP? The extension is hidden on File Explorer of Windows XP. Check if there is a "config.txt" (not "config.") in your CF.

Reflash-from-CF will restore iLiad firmware to initial and official state. All software-related problems, if caused by user's modification to the file system, should be gone after it's done. It's useless to send your iLiad back to iRex for software-related problems since you can't fix it by doing reflash-from-CF. Hardware failure is another story.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment

Everything but the Wifi is working on my iLiad. I'm using Windows Vista. There is only a config. and not 'configtxt' in my CF. How do I get config.txt?

Last edited by desertblues; 04-30-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: mistake spelling
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment

I always feel anxious when my iLiad isn't working properly. But now: All's well that ends well. I dont know why, but after a couple of times of reflash Wifi is working again. Thank you for your support!!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
checktheblues, nice, that's all fine again.
Just a reminder, when you edit txt files for scripts etc. don't use MS notepad. It can't handle the linux line feed [special character which says line ends here]. Notepad++ is free and open source.

Last edited by yokos; 05-01-2010 at 05:24 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment

Thanks