Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Series - Automatic numbering?

I noticed that is now a feature in Calibre, and it has the potential to be very useful to me. But I'd also like to turn it off sometimes. How do I go about doing so?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can't. Previously series would be automatically numbered as 1, not theyre automatically numbered as the next number in the series. I can't really see a case where the old behavior is superior to the new one.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Where I add books out of order (i.e., missing certain books in a series). In that case, I'd enjoy it just leaving the series # completely blank, to be honest.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the series and number as two separate columns/fields, but I know you'd have to rework the database for that
Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I noticed that is now a feature in Calibre, and it has the potential to be very useful to me. But I'd also like to turn it off sometimes. How do I go about doing so?
I will second the request.
For the reasons given and when you rename (correct) a series of single book into an existing series, it jumps the existing number to the highest+1
Annoying

(See bug report on trailing space, I just filed)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru

I just came back in to add that issue! Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still not sure I understand. Whether the number is set to 1 or the next higher integer, you still have to correct it manually, so what's the difference?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru

When it's set to 1, by default, and there are 20 1's in a row, I know I have to correct it later. When it's set in consecutive numbers, then I'm not so sure. It's a visual reminder.

I think the new automatic incrementation is great - most of the time. But there are times when I import a range of documents that are unsorted and don't want to take the time right then and there to sort them. Similarly, there are times when I import a series of documents intermingled with others and beyond knowing that they belong to a series, don't know the order - I have to figure it out later. When they're all 1's it's easy to see they still need to be corrected. When they are auto-incremented, it looks done, even when it isn't.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

How is it that your books have series, but not series index in the first place? I don't know of any metadata sources/books that give you a series name, but not number.

The reason I'm reluctant to add this setting is I try to avoid the proliferation of endless preferences, it makes the whole program harder to use.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
How is it that your books have series, but not series index in the first place? I don't know of any metadata sources/books that give you a series name, but not number.

The reason I'm reluctant to add this setting is I try to avoid the proliferation of endless preferences, it makes the whole program harder to use.
Using Default "Get Meta data" never returns a series.
Baen Webscription epub, never supplies a series (sets most everything else)

This is not proper behavior?
I have manually set series and Index for over 400 titles .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
For what it is worse here is what I do... I add the books and do a bulk media edit to add the series... then I filter for the series and then check/correct book series number.

Or I add the books in series order and Calibre does the rest for me
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru

Diddo - I've not once had series data returned for me. But wait....could this explain why I've had series data vanish from my system? Would downloading metadata be replacing my previously entered Series info with blanks?

As for series not having a number. There are quite a few series out there that have additional books written that become prequels, additional to the canon, so to speak, etc. Star Wars, Star Trek, and quite a few other sf series are like that.

I choose to put my books and documents in read-order. So if a book/document is published at a later date, but really comes earlier in the "read-order" than a previously published title, it gets inserted.

I've been using the decimal feature for that.

I recognize that you may not do things that way, and that you're the boss. Just letting you know that some of us might do things differently and appreciate the feature. If you choose not to add it, I suspect we'll survive.

Hmm....perhaps down the road a drag and drop mechanism could be put in place, so that one could view all books tagged in a series, drag them into the correct order, and numbers would then be applied after saving. If a new book comes out, it could be dragged to the appropriate place, and again, numbers could be regenerated.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
guyanonymous,

For awhile I had "Use Metadata from Files" turned on. At another point I also used "Social Metadata".

In either case the metadata obtained (from the file, or online) overwrote any existing metadata I had previously. Particularly with Social Metadata I've seen some strange things (Google only, have not tried ISBNdb as yet). I won't try to provide examples, but I have had entries completely overwritten with garbage (at least, from my point of view) that I had to re-enter.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
guyanonymous
Guru

The only metadata I get now (after finding everything full of bad data after a batch job) is downloaded from within the Edit (individual) tab. Not from the file itself. And I happily have social metadata turned off now.

Last edited by guyanonymous; 02-07-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Yes, the time I was referring to above was a batch import.

Another topic recommended per book metadata look-ups, cutting & pasting any acceptable data into the book, and ignoring the remaining extraneous stuff. I believe now with 0.6.37 their is some new field inclusion controls per book, but I haven't used them as yet.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can't. Previously series would be automatically numbered as 1, not theyre automatically numbered as the next number in the series. I can't really see a case where the old behavior is superior to the new one.
I would find it more useful if it defaulted to the lowest unused number, not the highest used number plus one. So if you've already added items 1, 3 & 4 to a series, the next item should default to 2, not 5.
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote