Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Kellyann
Kellyann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Elibrary or Calibre?

I've been spending the last few days researching what reader I'd like to buy, and once deciding on and ordering one (Sony 600) I've been pouring through the Mobile Reads forums and Wiki pages. I'm so glad that I found this site. I will admit that some of it has been over my head, but I'm trying to learn.

My 600 should be arriving today or tomorrow and I'm getting really excited! I've been making a list of the estores recommended by users on these forums and taking lots of notes. At this point I just have one question....

I see that some people have had problems with the elibary and use calibre instead. I couldn't tell if these problems with elibrary were with the current version or an older one? I'm trying to figure out if I should use calibre or use elibrary? I did see a post quoting the calibre FAQ page that you shouldn't use them both. If I use calibre instead of elibrary...do i need to deactive or delete elibrary somehow? Any guidance the experts want to give to a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Kellyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
You can use both. From the Calibre FAQ at http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...nage-my-reader

Quote:
Can I use both calibre and the SONY software to manage my reader?¶

Yes, you can use both, provided you do not run them at the same time. That is, you should use the following sequence: Connect reader->Use one of the programs->Disconnect reader. Reconnect reader->Use the other program->disconnect reader.

The underlying reason is that the Reader uses a single file to keep track of ‘meta’ information, such as collections, and this is written to by both calibre and the Sony software when either updates something on the Reader. The file will be saved when the Reader is (safely) disconnected, so using one or the other is safe if there’s a disconnection between them, but if you’re not the type to remember this, then the simple answer is to stick to one or the other for the transfer and just export/import from/to the other via the computers hard disk.

If you do need to reset your metadata due to problems caused by using both at the same time, then just delete the media.xml file on the Reader using your PC’s file explorer and it will be recreated after disconnection.
Hope this helps!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Kellyann

Thanks for that info!!! The post I read may have been an old one.

So now my question is.....is there a reason to use them both versus one over the other? Does one do something that the other doesn't - thereby making them good compliments to each other?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
I use them both. I prefer the Sony way of grouping books into collections (by creating folders), but that's the only thing I like about it. I think the UI is rubbish, it's unstable, and if it does break, it's a pain to get it back working.

Calibre does everything the Sony software does plus a lot more - format conversion, auto-dpwnload of news sources, editing of metadata, for example. In my experience, it's more reliable too. I can create collection in Calibre too, but it's via editing metadata. much more flexible than the Sony, but less intuitive for me.

One caveat - I do everything on Macs - maybe Windows versions are different
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hi Kelly

There are bunch of posts here you might find useful - some not so much though

Personally, I'll most llikely end up using Calibre more often than the Sony eLibrary because I have a laptop that I use that run Ubuntu and the Sony library wont run on it. I'm sure I'll use the eLibrary for Sony specific things like purchases from their store or to set up daily content downloads etc.

I'll be very interested in seeing some of the other comments here though for future reference.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
jcf
Enthusiast
jcf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Sage
One thing eLibrary does that Calibre does not is to pre-paginate lrf books. This is not a big deal for small books, but I found that it is intolerable for big ones (like the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus here on MR). For big lrf files, I use the eLibrary software. I even try to change font size while in eLibrary... and after the book is loaded into my 505, changing font size is very fast.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf View Post
One thing eLibrary does that Calibre does not is to pre-paginate lrf books. This is not a big deal for small books, but I found that it is intolerable for big ones (like the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus here on MR). For big lrf files, I use the eLibrary software. I even try to change font size while in eLibrary... and after the book is loaded into my 505, changing font size is very fast.
Is that why it takes so long for some of my books to load the first time (1500+pages on some of them) or change the font size?
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
jcf
Enthusiast
jcf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Sage
@kwjones - yes, I'm betting that's what is causing it. Try opening up the same book in eLibrary and maybe even click on the different font sizes while you are there. Then, load the book to your reader using eLibrary. It will likely be much faster. This is just for lrf, though.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Kellyann

Thank you all for the great information so far!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Kellyann

I can't seem to find it now, but I swear I read a post today that indicated you could get ebooks from Amazon and convert them to a format readable on the Sony 600. Is this right...or am I confusing myself? If it is true, is it true for all the Amazon books or just certain formats? I'll keep looking for that post as well....
Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #11
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
As long as the Amazon books are not Topaz format (and I believe you can tell if they are because Topaz books will not list the number of pages? Am I correct? Someone please help!), and they are not DRM'ed (Digital Rights Management), you could use Calibre to convert them to epub or pdf for your eReader.

I used Kindle for the iPhone before I got my PRS600, but half of the books I bought are illegible on my eReader because they are in Topaz format, which has not yet been "hacked." There are SO many other places to buy cheap ebooks other than Amazon, try this site for a good start: http://inkmesh.com/

As far as whether to use the EBL software or Calibre, I use both: calibre to import my books, and keep them in one place, and then I transfer them to EBL. Why? Well, I use notes and highlights HEAVILY, and so far there is no way to get to those notes from any other software other than EBL (well, except if you use python scripts and work arounds, which are too cumbersome and time-consuming for me). I THINK you also need to use the EBL software if you buy Adobe Digital Rights ebooks, but maybe not. If Calibre did that, I'd happily ditch the EBL crapware, because really, especially for Macs, it is one horrible program.

If you don't need to use notes or highlights, then stick with Calibre. It is an amazing piece of software, and it plays nice with Macs!

good luck, R.
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Kellyann

rvdparis, thank you so much! I am a big highlighter and note taker...so your reply really helps.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I use them both. I prefer the Sony way of grouping books into collections (by creating folders), but that's the only thing I like about it. I think the UI is rubbish, it's unstable, and if it does break, it's a pain to get it back working.

Calibre does everything the Sony software does plus a lot more - format conversion, auto-dpwnload of news sources, editing of metadata, for example. In my experience, it's more reliable too. I can create collection in Calibre too, but it's via editing metadata. much more flexible than the Sony, but less intuitive for me.

One caveat - I do everything on Macs - maybe Windows versions are different
Of course, Calibre doesn't do one thing Sony software does. Help you borrow or buy books.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Of course, Calibre doesn't do one thing Sony software does. Help you borrow or buy books.
Since we are on this topic, does anyone know how to transfer the books bought with Sony software to Calibre?
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyann View Post
I can't seem to find it now, but I swear I read a post today that indicated you could get ebooks from Amazon and convert them to a format readable on the Sony 600. Is this right...or am I confusing myself? If it is true, is it true for all the Amazon books or just certain formats? I'll keep looking for that post as well....
Certainly you can. IF they have no drm.

Otherwise you must strip them, then convert them in order to read them on your sony.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote