Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Unable to open the default dictionary

Hello. I have some problems with various dictionaries for Kindle DX.
I've created a Romanian dictionary (I want to upload it here also, but first to be sure it is OK), which is working fine, but only if in Mobipocket Creator I set the input and output languages as English. Weird. Working fine means I don't get an error "Unable to open the default dictionary, please go to Settings and choose a different dictionary" when performing a search. I told myself it's my fault, well, I don't know how to build a dictionary. So I downloaded a free French dictionary, and, while reading a French book, if I type a word and click Dictionary (after using the 5-way button going right a few times) I get the same error message. Both were .PRC files from internet, I didn't touch them, but still I get the same error, so something else is going on. If somebody else has some experience with foreign dictionaries, is this normal? Kindle DX doesn't like dictionaries set in foreign languages?
I'm attaching some pictures, maybe it's more clear this way. First capture is the French book, the second is when I type a search-term, then I choose Dictionary and I get the error explaind (but the dictionary is there, in the background). If I click Close and after select the Dictionary button I get the looked for page. But why the error?
Thank you for your ideas debugging this.
Best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6432.gif
Views:	449
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	36940   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6433.gif
Views:	422
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	36941   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6434.gif
Views:	493
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	36942   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6435.gif
Views:	423
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	36943  
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Kind of replying my own question, in case someone is interested.
After some investigation, it is clear that Kindle DX doesn't like to display a book set in a language and use as a default dictionary set in a different language. So I've done a quick and dirty Windows application to patch the binary PRC/Mobi files to the language I need. The problem is gone now, if the dictionary and the book share the same setting then it works great.

Last edited by LucasCorso; 10-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
philippecote
philippecote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Patching the language

Hi !

Could I please have that app you made ?
I'm trying to make the Littré french dictionary work on my Kindle 2 and I have the same issue...

I've searched all over the web, but can't make sense of the file format...

Thanks !

Philippe Côté
philippecote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The format for Mobipocket dictionaries is well documented on the Mobipocket web site. http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
goflow9
goflow9 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
Hello. I have some problems with various dictionaries for Kindle DX.
I've created a Romanian dictionary (I want to upload it here also, but first to be sure it is OK), which is working fine, but only if in Mobipocket Creator I set the input and output languages as English. Weird. Working fine means I don't get an error "Unable to open the default dictionary, please go to Settings and choose a different dictionary" when performing a search. I told myself it's my fault, well, I don't know how to build a dictionary. So I downloaded a free French dictionary, and, while reading a French book, if I type a word and click Dictionary (after using the 5-way button going right a few times) I get the same error message. Both were .PRC files from internet, I didn't touch them, but still I get the same error, so something else is going on. If somebody else has some experience with foreign dictionaries, is this normal? Kindle DX doesn't like dictionaries set in foreign languages?
I'm attaching some pictures, maybe it's more clear this way. First capture is the French book, the second is when I type a search-term, then I choose Dictionary and I get the error explaind (but the dictionary is there, in the background). If I click Close and after select the Dictionary button I get the looked for page. But why the error?
Thank you for your ideas debugging this.
Best regards
Did you build an English Romanian dictionary that works? I'm very interested! Can I have it?
Thanks in advance.
goflow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert