Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Auto-turn pages soft-mod wanted, it has slideshow auto turn already ,can we modify it

Since 505 has slide show feature in menu where you can set the pictures to be turned at set intervals, the program is in the 505 already, we would just have to figure out how to direct it to turn pages instead of pictures.

Last edited by richman; 09-10-2009 at 07:58 AM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Since 505 has slide show feature in menu where you can set the pictures to be turned at set intervals, the program is in the 505 already, we would just have to figure out how to direct it to turn pages instead of pictures.
Are you serious, or are you just musing about the possibility?

If you're serious, to what practical end would you want to have automatic page turns? Have we gotten so lazy that we can't even push a button to turn a page?

I don't know about anyone else but I don't necessarily take the same exact amount of time to read one page as it takes me to read the following page. Sometimes I look up, speak to someone, or someone speaks to me. I may re-read a passage, or sneeze, or answer the phone . . . and while that's happening, the pages just keep on turning, turning, turning. So then I have to go back and find my place. If the automatic page turn is set slower, then I'm sitting there waiting for the page to turn when I finish the current page, or still turn it manually to move on.

I just can't see that as a feature I would have any use for. I would much rather have real folders and turn the pages the old fashioned way, with my finger.

But that's just me.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
richman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Are you serious, or are you just musing about the possibility?

If you're serious, to what practical end would you want to have automatic page turns? Have we gotten so lazy that we can't even push a button to turn a page?

I just can't see that as a feature I would have any use for. I would much rather have real folders and turn the pages the old fashioned way, with my finger.

But that's just me.
Yeah, it's just you!
I don't get it, of course we all see things differently, that is a given, and if you were serious, and like the old fashioned way, read a paper book, RIGHT?! That is the old fashioned way!

Come on , some people have fingers that are in pain, (some of our members do complain about wrist and hand pain and find turning the pages on this device hard for long periods of time), or like to lay the ereader on table while they are eatting and can read a few pages with this interval method. In bookstore when reading, I like to lay 505 in lap and read a page and then look around and relax and then read another page, so internal turning would pace me and allow me to remember to LOOK at the WORLD too! It would have to have auto off feature after 10 or 50 or 100 pages, maybe something we could set.

Just because you find it a foolish idea , doesn't mean everyone would. Also feature could be useful at gym while on running machine or other equipment, frees up your hands. I would not use feature all the time, but under certain situations.

Also, speed readers that read fast could use this feature, turning the page every 1 or 2 seconds is a pain when you are doing it 2,000 times over an hour or two every few seconds and some of our members complain about that with 505. Slow readers who like to linger could use it as they are going to sleep in bed.

Gee, funny how when a nice IDEA gets made, it is first ridiculed , then accepted, and finally everybody says , of course we need this "feature".

I'm sure you were one of the people when you heard about ereaders said, "why an ebook reader, why not read books the old fashioned way".

Maybe have the volume control on 505 be the button that turns the feature on and off or adjusting the speed of page turns , up would make the pages turn faster and down would make the pages turn very slowly or if it was all the way down it would turn the feature off, so volume could turn on and adjust speed of page turning, and the regular foward button would advance the page the regular way if we are done before the interval finishes. I don't know what is possible? But for me it could be useful feature.

Last edited by richman; 09-10-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, it's just you!
I don't get it, of course we all see things differently, that is a given, and if you were serious, and like the old fashioned way, read a paper book, RIGHT?! That is the old fashioned way!

Come on , some people have fingers that are in pain, (some of our members do complain about wrist and hand pain and find turning the pages on this device hard for long periods of time), or like to lay the ereader on table while they are eatting and can read a few pages with this interval method. In bookstore when reading, I like to lay 505 in lap and read a page and then look around and relax and then read another page, so internal turning would pace me and allow me to remember to LOOK at the WORLD too! It would have to have auto off feature after 10 or 50 or 100 pages, maybe something we could set.

Just because you find it a foolish idea, doesn't mean everyone would. Also feature could be useful at gym while on running machine or other equipment, frees up your hands. I would not use feature all the time, but under certain situations.

Gee, funny how when a nice IDEA gets made, it is first ridiculed , then accepted, and finally everybody says , of course we need this "feature".

I'm sure you were one of the people when you heard about ereaders said, "why an ebook reader, why not read books the old fashioned way".
Excuse me, but your rebuttal sounds a bit personally hostile, but maybe that's just me too. I never said your idea was foolish and it was never meant to ruffle your feathers. I did state that it was just my opinion after all, and never said ANYONE else would feel the same way.

I'm one of those people you mentioned who has finger pain (arthritis) and I also read while on a stationary bike and treadmill and also sometimes while eating, and PERSONALLY have no problem at all putting my fork down for a second to push a page-turn button or continue eating while I push a button with the other hand. I have no fear I'll miss a bite of food or fall off the bike or treadmill by pushing said button.

The reading at the bookstore scenerio that you described sounded to be more of a reason to turn pages manually than automatically anyway. Pausing to LOOK at the WORLD while you read, as you described, seems like an act more conducive to spontaneity of a human nature rather than a programmed or timed nudging reminder to do so by a reading device.

But again, that's just me.

I'm sure an automatic page turn feature would be of great benefit to you and millions of others who, once a reality, won't know how they ever got along without it. I hope you won't have to wait too long before you get the feature you want.

No ridicule or hostility intended, but when turning a page becomes too cumbersome for me to do manually, I'll just go with audiobooks.

I apologize for getting you so riled up.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
richman
Addict

I guess , the comment about "are you serious" , and "have you gotten so lazy", seems like they could be "fighting words" , but maybe that is your way.
I'm not mad at you at all, it just seemed like you were one of those older people who shoot first and ask questions latter, by your comment.
So I fleshed it out a little and gave ways that it could be a good feature to have. I'm not saying I'm gonna use it all the time, but just something I could use in some situations.
I agree , no need to argue over this, maybe read your first comment again and see if you can understand how I might have taken it as either " I'm crazy to bring up the idea" or "I'm too lazy to turn pages with my finger" could maybe be misunderstood to be an insult.
You might not see it because that's just your way, and you treat everybody like that, and wonder how people could take offense at your writing style.
In either case, it doesn't sound like something you would use, but I would find it useful, also, there is another thread with someone making a device to do this, but I was hoping soft-mod method could be found.
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You can get Kindle or Astak Pocket Pro.
Both models have Text to Speech.
You start TTS, turn the volume to the minimum and voilá - the pages are turning automatically. The big plus is, when there is little text on page it gets read by robotic voice quickly and the page turns quickly.

Ask some owner of Astak Pocket Pro (or other Hanlin V5) or some Kindle owner.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
richman
Addict

that would be what I'm looking for. That sounds better than auto-turning page.

Since I do have the 505 right now, I guess I'll have to settle for maybe getting a soft-mod for it.

I figured since the device has a menu feature that you can set the pictures to change at different internals, maybe that could be redirected to the ebook section and use same feature to turn pages.

Not sure if it's possible but , if it is, this seems like the right forum to bring it up in.

If I get a new ereader I'll have to look at those models you suggest, because that is what I am looking for.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It might be a useful feature, but I would never use it. For the same reason that I don't listen to many audiobooks, which is that I fall asleep and lose my page.

If this was done, the next feature would have to be a "dead man" switch, so that when my hand goes limp with sleep, it would stop the story.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
richman
Addict

Maybe if you touch the button it would go for 10 pages or 20 pages and stop , and then you could hit button again for another 10 or 20 pages, that's an option that could be something that would work.
If you hold the back button for 5 seconds it goes back 10 pages, so having the feature where you touch it and it auto-turns at intervals of 10 pages, it would be easy to find place if you fell asleep.

Last edited by richman; 09-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now that would be a good feature. 10 pages per click would be perfect.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one

Quote:
I guess , the comment about "are you serious" , and "have you gotten so lazy", seems like they could be "fighting words" , but maybe that is your way.

I simply asked if you were serious, or if you were musing about the possibilty. Simple question - no attack, no insult.

I never said "have you gotten so lazy." I said "have WE gotten so lazy that we can't push a button to turn a page?" That was a rhetorical question with the pronoun WE used in place of any of the following words: people, human beings, mankind, readers, the populace at large, any group of sentient beings in general. I never pointed the finger and I never said YOU.

I'm not mad at you at all, it just seemed like you were one of those older people who shoot first and ask questions latter, by your comment.

And what does this mean exactly? That sounds personal, like I should be offended, but I will not take it that way, even if that was your intent.

So I fleshed it out a little and gave ways that it could be a good feature to have. I'm not saying I'm gonna use it all the time, but just something I could use in some situations.

I agree , no need to argue over this, maybe read your first comment again and see if you can understand how I might have taken it as either " I'm crazy to bring up the idea" or "I'm too lazy to turn pages with my finger" could maybe be misunderstood to be an insult.

I did read my comment again. Maybe you should read it again as well and try to figure out why you interpreted my comment to be a personal affront to you, and why you see words I did not write.

You might not see it because that's just your way, and you treat everybody like that, and wonder how people could take offense at your writing style.

Treat everybody like WHAT? And what is MY WAY?

I apologize once more, for I didn't realize I had such an offensive writing style that translates to personal attacks on others' sensitivities when giving my personal views. I will try to refrain from giving any further personal opinions to any questions you may pose in the future.

In either case, it doesn't sound like something you would use, but I would find it useful, also, there is another thread with someone making a device to do this, but I was hoping soft-mod method could be found.

That's all I was saying, after all.

I think you need a hug and a Happy Meal my friend.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
richman
Addict

Sorry if I offended you with my comments. I probably read what you said in the wrong way.
Let's Hug and move on!
OK!

updated:

Blue-Lady:
Gee, you were probably just good naturedly joking and musing about the idea in a buddy-buddy type spirit , like friends joke around all the time.
Since I didn't know you and didn't know you were in "chat mode" , I thought you were coming down on my idea.
If we were already friends, and you wrote like you did, and I KNEW you, I would probably have chuckled at your remarks.
Sorry, I mis-understood where you were coming from. I'm still not sure where anyone is coming from, but , I should probably ire on the side of "buddy talk" then as they say "busting my b&lls" type stuff.
Now if we knew each other for years, yeah, we would probably bust each others chops with a twinkle in our eye, and know when to cool it and back away if we weren't in that type mood.
Figured I would flesh out the way I think about it a little more.
Peace

Last edited by richman; 09-11-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added update
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Why not have a feature that would read the book for you? You know, you go to sleep and meanwhile the machine reads the book for you, so you do not have to bother with it.

(Don't attack me, it is just a joke I could not pass up. )
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I really would like a auto-turn feature on my 505! I have it on my Palm (eReader app) and actually use the 'auto scrolling' there a lot. It can be switched off by just touching a button, so on the 505 for instance pressing a manual page turn enter or similar should switch off the automatic. And the speed would have to be adjustable, naturally.

So where is it useful? I use it a lot when reading while eating with my Palm propped up, avoids getting the device dirty while eating tacos/hamburger etc. I also use it when lying in bed rading and the Palm is propped up againsta a pillow or something and I'm all snug under the bedcovers.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think it would be awfully difficult to build an auto-page turn feature that would be able to turn pages at the right time. The auto scroll feature of the palms (and now on my iPod Touch) scroll a line at a time, but with the slower refresh rates of ePaper technoloyg, I don't think that scrolling a line at a time would be possible. And when I'm reading on my Reader, pages with big paragraphs on them take me a lot longer to read than pages with smaller paragraphs (conversations between characters for example). So it seems to me that if I set the auto page turn to a specific time, sometimes it might turn the page before I was through reading and sometimes I'd be waiting for the page to turn.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote