Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Kindle DX and PDF Table of Contents

One of the things I'm a real stickler with ebooks is a table of contents. Since I don't often read novels, it's generally pretty important to me.

I'm curious, for those who have experience with ereaders who have used PDFs, can I expect that a PDF with a table of contents will be usable (the TOC?) on the DX?

Thanks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
O.S.F
O.S.F is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2/DX
I would expect the native PDF to support TOC links. I have used some of the similar adobe before and it works fine. Even the online conversion from Amazon today works pretty good.
O.S.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
There are several good open source PDF libraries out there (I've used one or two) and they all support outlines/TOC's. I'd be surprised if they didn't support them as well as links within the documents (this is how the index works).
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

This is what I heard back when I emailed Amazon:
Quote:
Kindle DX is able to display most PDF documents. However, it doesn't use the table of contents from PDFs.

I'll send your comments to the Kindle team. Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve Kindle, and we're glad you took time to write to us.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The example in the KDX User's Guide shows the TOC greyed out, i.e. unavailable, and it isn't mentioned in the text either. So it seems likely that the TOC isn't available. This is very surprising, because, as cmumford says, PDF TOCs are typically well supported.

PDF TOCs display ok with the Sony ebook Library software, so I assume they are included in mobile Adobe Digital Editions. So this seems to be another example of the rushed job that Amazon has done with PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The example in the KDX User's Guide shows the TOC greyed out, i.e. unavailable, and it isn't mentioned in the text either. So it seems likely that the TOC isn't available. This is very surprising, because, as cmumford says, PDF TOCs are typically well supported.

PDF TOCs display ok with the Sony ebook Library software, so I assume they are included in mobile Adobe Digital Editions. So this seems to be another example of the rushed job that Amazon has done with PDFs.
However as the DX is not yet out, maybe Amazon will fix this before release. But unless it is fixed, I would not pre-order a DX. Then again, without ePub, I would not order a DX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
They can address the issue later with a firmware update.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

They COULD... but have they fixed anything at all in a firmware update?

Folders, anyone?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
shuttle
shuttle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG v3.2.1
Kindle Touch has table of contents support in pdf. Could it be ported to Kindle v3.2.1?

Last edited by shuttle; 03-19-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: grammar :D
shuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttle View Post
Kindle Touch have table of contents support in pdf. Could it be ported to Kindle v3.2.1?
yes, have a look at the kindlepdfviewer in the developers' section
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Transfer TOC of PDFs to Kindle Bookmarks
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
shuttle
shuttle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG v3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
yes, have a look at the kindlepdfviewer in the developers' section
Wow, I give it a try. Thx!
shuttle is offline   Reply With Quote