Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
boriz
boriz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Unhappy Battery Life Affected After Firmware Update?

I installed some custom firmware from you guys about a month ago and noticed that my battery doesn't perform well when the device is on standby. It's like it's using battery power when the screen is off. My solution so far is to turn it off in the advanced settings page. It's quite annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm not in the mood for sending the unit back, either. Maybe a shortcut to powering the device off? That would be super helpful.

Powering on and waiting for 5 minutes is annoying. When I forget to turn it off my battery is drained the next time I start reading.
boriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Technically the Reader will use power on standby, just not as much. It sounds like you are having a problem though. I hope someone can help you out.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
boriz--Could the audio player on your 505 been accidently turned on? This will drain the power quickly.

(It doesn't sound like it, though because I would think fully shutting down the unit would also shut down the audio player.)

If it's not the audio player, there is definitely something wrong with your unit. The unit does use a minimum amount of power to remember it's settings, but you should be able to get a couple of weeks at a minimum out of a full charge.

Hope you get some good answers-

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriz View Post
Anyone else have this problem? I'm not in the mood for sending the unit back, either. Maybe a shortcut to powering the device off? That would be super helpful.
Ironically, that is one of the options available with flashed firmware! Normally set to the held "OK" button.

Having said that, it's certainly not normal. As mentioned, the normal suspect would be the MP3 player, but a reset should have sorted it... Do you have any audio/MP3 files on the device? Maybe remove them anyway & see if that makes any difference? Do you use external memory cards? Try without them?

Finally, it's possible to reflash back to the stock firmware if you wanted to be 100% sure!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
boriz

The audio is off, I don't have any mp3 files inside.

Also, I have no memory cards inside the device. Flashing it back would make me lose the clock, and I like it
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, you can always PRSCustomise again! :-)

There's something odd though - Mine's a flashed version & doesn't have that sort of problem so I'd be tempted to try a hard reset (see the wiki for instructions) and if that failed, to re-flash & re-customize.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
boriz

Flashing it is scary enough for me. Even when the device takes an extra 5 seconds to load I think it froze and get really nervous...

I might consider PRScustomizer if there was more things I could do.