Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
bookie
bookie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia
overall reliability of Cybook

hi
here 12000 k from France I am contemplating buying a Gen 3 Cybook. If it needs any kind of repair I have to mail it back to France.
Overall, from all you experienced owners of the Cybook, what do you estimate the probability to be that I will need to mail it back eg over a two year period? (by the end of two years there may be a better product with local support)
thanks for your help
(I appreciate it's been on the market for not even a year so I guess a two year time frame is a guesstimate based on one year)
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Our long-time member, Tribble, who is the German reseller for the CyBook, tells us that fewer than 1% of the Gen3s' that he's sold have subsequently have faults. Provided you take reasonable care of it, there's very little chance of it going wrong. It is ESSENTIAL to buy it with the case (or at least, to buy some case for it).

I've been using my Gen3 (two of them, in fact) for just under a year now, and have had no problems at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Boeboe
Boeboe began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Never bought a case for it (as it is ridiculously overpriced), never had a problem
Boeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeboe View Post
Never bought a case for it (as it is ridiculously overpriced), never had a problem
Your choice, of course. I think you're taking a terrible risk, but that's your decision. I read in bed and regularly fall asleep reading, and drop the machine onto the floor. I wouldn't want to do that without a case.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have seen various Kindle and Sony PRC cases, and IMHO the cybook is the best of the lot by a large amount. Overpriced, yes, but still the best.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Our long-time member, Tribble, who is the German reseller for the CyBook, tells us that fewer than 1% of the Gen3s' that he's sold have subsequently have faults.
Did he really? I though this was for broken screens. Googling...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=223

Quote:
Just for a little perspective. From all the CyBooks we sold, less than 1% have had a screen breakage. One of them was my CyBook. And i know for a fact, that it didnt break just from lying around.
So we do not know anything about other problems.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I stand corrected, but I strongly suspect that a broken screen is by far the most common issue, judging from the reports we've seen here.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've had my cybook about 6 months now and have had no problems with the hardware.

I take it with me to work in a sports bag and while it is stored in its case, it is knocked around quite a bit, so I would say that the build quality is ok. The main risk that I can imagine is from twisting the device, it seems that the screen is far more fragile than the device is rigid. The case that comes with the Cybook would also allow more twist than the screen can take.

While I was i little alarmed when I read of people encountering problems with the screen and I found that I was becoming reluctant to take it to work. Ultimately I decided that I had to take a chance. If I can't use the Cybook in the same manner as I used a paper book then what's the point.

It's a shame that Bookeen don't offer a screen warranty. If the failure rate is really only 1% then they could add a 12month screen warranty by adding 1% to the sale price. This is not the first time i've heard of people pausing before making the purchase because of fears about the build quality. It will cost Bookeen in the long term.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
bookie

I am inclined to hold off purchasing one because of concerns about the screen too.
One of my uses of the Cybook would be for backpacking. In Australia, this means it would be exposed to temperature ranges of up to 35 degrees, or down to 2 or zero degrees. Posts I've read suggest that the screen is prone to spontaneous breaks in these extremes of temperature.
I think a device whose use for travelling is one of its main attractions should be built so there are zero concerns about its durability with normal use (of course nothing could protect it in eg an avalanche!!).
My other concerns are the inability to sort books into folders (how hard is that to create in the software?) and the fact that pages can be flipped only one by one (same comment).
Old 10-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookie View Post
Posts I've read suggest that the screen is prone to spontaneous breaks in these extremes of temperature.
It would probably be more susceptible to sudden changes in temps rather than extremes.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
bookie

Question cybook backpacking?

it would be useful if people who have taken their Cybooks backpacking could post their experiences
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookie View Post
it would be useful if people who have taken their Cybooks backpacking could post their experiences
Yes, it would be very helpful. I am looking for a reader for my husband, who unlike me (DR1000S - to arrive soon!) only would read books. However, he is a little hard on things - so I am looking for a reader that has both reliability and a 'sturdy' factor?
Thoughts?
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I've only taken my Cybook on day hikes and I was very careful how I packed it. I haven't had a problem but for the hiking that you are describing my personal recommendation is to wait for a device with the Plasticlogic displays.

You could also consider a PDA or iPod Touch but I had the display of one of my PDA's break from the vibration of riding in a Go Kart. The displays aren't as large though and it's hard to twist them.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I've been a little unnerved by all the reports of broken screens, but so far I haven't had any problems. Are there more broken screens with the Gen3 than with the other e-ink devices, or is it a factor with all of them?

[Actually, I've dropped mine twice now, without the case (!) although on carpet both times, and so far so good, and my doxies have twice stepped on it in bed, so it can't be TOTALLY fragile. Or maybe I'm just lucky .... ]
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
and my doxies have twice stepped on it in bed
I assume that is shorthand for the dogs pictured in your avatar, and not the usual definition of the word
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote