Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
wmike
wmike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub 3 loses TOC when published to Kindle

Hi all,

I'm new to ePublishing so go easy

I have used Adobe Indesign to produce an ePub 3 book - this looks and works fine in iBooks.

I uploaded it to amazon - they converted it to Kindle format - the resulting book has no Table of Contents.

I tried Sigil - this managed to provide a TOC for the document but, unfortunately included the full TOC twice. Not good.

Can anyone suggest how I might cure this problem? (I'm using the latest version of Indesign and Sigil).

Many thanks,

Mike
wmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Check the landmarks section in the Nav file that InDesign generated. It should have an epub:type="toc" entry similar to his one:

Code:
<li>
   <a epub:type="toc" href="toc.xhtml">Table of Contents</a>
</li>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #3
wmike
wmike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Check the landmarks section in the Nav file that InDesign generated. It should have an epub:type="toc" entry similar to his one:

Code:
<li>
   <a epub:type="toc" href="toc.xhtml">Table of Contents</a>
</li>
Hi Doitsu,

I have the ePub file - that's it as far as I can see. Where would I find the Nav file you mention?

Cheers,

Mike
wmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmike View Post
I have the ePub file - that's it as far as I can see. Where would I find the Nav file you mention?
Just unzip the epub or open it with Sigil. Then open the .opf file and look for a file definition that has a properties="nav" attribute. For example:

Code:
<item id="nav.xhtml" href="nav.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="nav"/>
That file is the navigation document, which is used as a ePub3 TOC, however, for backwards compatibility with older Kindles you should also include a regular HTML TOC file, which needs to have a landmarks section toc entry. Without this entry the TOC menu item will be greyed out.

If you open the ePub with Sigil you can add a landmarks entry by right-clicking toc.xhtml and selecting Add Semantics > Table Of Contents.
(If you haven't generated a separate HTML TOC, you can also tag the nav document as the TOC.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indesign, kindle, sigil, toc