Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Totally awesome!

Thanks to all the very smart people on these boards, I now have a Paperwhite which is totally awesome.

1) It doesn't have Special offers. Actually, this one is thanks to Amazon customer service who removed special offers for me manually, at no charge, when I was unable to do it online as I didn't have a US billing address.

2) It has the cover of the current book that I'm reading as a screen saver (thanks to NiLuJe's hack). Part of the experience of reading a book is seeing the cover every time you pick it up. Although I love the kindle, I have felt slightly...detached...from the books I was reading on it, seeing the cover only once at the start of the book. Now, I see it every time I pick it up. I have also installed the same screen saver hack on my DX.

3) It has font sizes that scale in small steps (thanks to JBPatch), rather than jump from "too small" to "too big" with nothing in between. I find I tend to use 13 mostly, and occasionally 16 and 19, depending on how tired I am. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with azw3's (for some reason that I can't recall, you're limited to the default font sizes), but that's OK - I'll just continue converting everything to mobi.

4) It has the series and series number in the author field (thanks to Calibre plugboards), thus:
J K Rowling - Book 07 of Harry Potter
I don't tend to keep much on my Kindle, moving finished books off it and putting new ones - for example, the next book in a series - on it at regular intervals. Hence, I didn't want Series-Number-Title (e.g. Harry Potter - 07 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) as a naming convention, but I did want to know which series, if any, a book was from and what number in the series it was. I noticed quite a bit of room in the author field on the Paperwhite, so configured plugboard to put the information there. I have also done something similar, but in the title field, on my DX.

For anyone who wants to duplicate it (in the author field), here is the syntax:

{authors}{series_index:0>2s| - Book | of }{series}

I'm working on getting the series field in brackets, but having trouble with the syntax (mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll get there).

One thing I do miss is having the book progress bar at the bottom of the screen, as on my DX, but apart from that, my Kindle is now totally awesome.

So, to all of you who have helped, either explicitly, or unknowingly, by writing hacks, or posting advice or solutions, or even by asking dumb questions (so I didn't have to ), thank you.

Hendrix
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Putting the series name in the author field is a great idea. I will try that later!

I couldn't wait, tried it, and I like it better than the plugboard I was using, which added a number to the title field. I removed "book" so now it shows

Title
author - 01 of series name

Perfect for the PW!

Last edited by booklover6; 01-31-2013 at 07:14 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Putting the series name in the author field is a great idea. I will try that later!

I couldn't wait, tried it, and I like it better than the plugboard I was using, which added a number to the title field. I removed "book" so now it shows

Title
author - 01 of series name

Perfect for the PW!
Even better - with help from PeterT on the calibre library management forum:

{authors}{series_index:0>2s| - (Book | of}{series:| "|")}

Its just slightly better formatting IMHO.

This gives you, for example:

J K Rowling - (Book 07 of "Harry Potter")

Last edited by Hendrixxxxxxxx; 01-31-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a nice variation. I may add the brackets to look like

J K Rowling - (07 of Harry Potter)

will have to play with it later!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've settled on this

{authors} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | }

Which gives me this

JK Rowling - Harry Potter 07

in the author field.

Thanks so much for sharing your idea. Now my titles, authors and series look just like I have them set up on my Sony T1. Perfect!
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur

You're very welcome (see, wifey, I'm not TOTALLY useless )

Actually, I was just looking through the book list on my paperwhite, and the more I see it (having the series in the author field) the more I like it.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Enjoy your pw.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
2) It has the cover of the current book that I'm reading as a screen saver (thanks to NiLuJe's hack).
How do you do this?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
How do you do this?
The latest Screensaver Hack version makes this possible and VERY easy. You need to Jailbreak before you can do the Screensaver Hack. Look in the Developer's Corner sub-forum for the appropriate threads....pm me if you have any superficial questions before reading the threads.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I decided to put a couple of pics I like on the PW and let them rotate, rather than the covers.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
How do you do this?
Here's the link:

(Incorrect link edited out to avoid confusion, see below)

Last edited by Hendrixxxxxxxx; 02-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is the link for k2,3,4's Screensaver hack... for the PW, this is the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
That is the link for k2,3,4's Screensaver hack... for the PW, this is the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Duh! Yes, sorry. I'm glad someone's properly awake.....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Duh! Yes, sorry. I'm glad someone's properly awake.....
It's Friday and almost 5pm where I am...I won't be "properly awake" for long!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am reluctant to jailbreak my Paperwhite. I'd like to keep it as stable as possible, especially considering how simple of a device it is. I'm also not sure that I want to get addicted to a feature only to loose it at the next software update and have to wait for the next jailbreak.

Although I must say that having the current book's cover as a screen saver does seem like a very nice feature.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote