Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #76
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Mini is a complete dead end as far as I'm concerned but the Nexus 7 32gb is a very tempting proposition.

I can't take the mini seriously at all because it's old tech, overpriced, and tied into the rip off prices of EE in the UK apparently it was made not to work with any other carrier also looks like they put in a really poor 168ppi screen no doubt so they can sell the iPad Mini 2 at a later date.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #77
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and hey as far as music, what the heck's wrong with Sonar?
Are you talking about Cakewalk -- a/k/a Sonar -- which my PC collaborators and competitors used to use back in the day? Nothing's wrong with it, nor was there anything wrong with Acid or even Logic back when it was cross-platform. Even today, a number of pro music applications are also available for the PC. I also remember Fruity Loops, which has since morphed into a formidable workstation as well. It was never through-composed enough for me, but I still like the piano roll window that contains actual notes.

Given the fact Cakewalk was bought by Roland, I'd expect it to have some excellent sounding modules and keyboard integration options. I've probably played every Roland keyboard in existence.

If I myself were producing and arranging on a PC, I'd probably prefer a combination of Protools, Cubase and Reason (which engineer friends actually love). For experimental dance music, there's still Reaktor and Ableton Live (I love the fact it was created by the duo from Monolake).

The problem is, I'm talking about tablet use. I still haven't seen anything as good for Android as the Korg DS-10 was for that little Nintendo DS. That's how far from useful Android has been for music so far.

As far as music notation, there's still Finale and Sibelius. Finale currently has Songbook for the iPad, which is a huge step up from anything I've found on Android. If it weren't for music and graphic design (have to use InDesign for our magazine), I'd probably never consider an iDevice.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-24-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #78
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just tweaking you. Sorry.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I posted this in another thread.

The iPad mini is best compared to the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, with the GT 2 winning:

Galaxy Tab = iPad mini
  • Resolution -- 169 ppi vs 163 ppi
  • Processor -- 1 GHz dual-core vs 1 GHz dual-core

Galaxy Tab vs iPad mini
  • RAM -- 1 GB vs 512 MB
  • mSD -- yes vs no
  • GPS -- yes vs no
  • FM Radio -- yes vs no
  • Price -- $199 (8 GB) vs $329 (16 GB)

iPad mini vs Galaxy Tab

• Display -- 7.9" vs 7.0"
  • Front Cam -- 1.2 MP vs 0.3 MP
  • Rear Cam -- 5.0 MP vs 3.0 MP
  • Battery -- 10 hrs (claimed) vs 7 hrs
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #80
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just tweaking you. Sorry.
Yes, I was aware you were kidding, and no reason to apologize because the tone was friendly and light.

I just didn't treat the joke as a joke because your point was viable -- just not when it comes to tablets. It's fun to remember vintage PC music applications and reflect on what they've become.

Besides which, I like talking about music even more than gadgets. Don't get me started on it unless you want to endure pages of effusive babble.

Edit: And yes, I'd read that Guardian article already. More an indictment of entertainment-crazed Americans than the iPad, I thought (though it's hard not to want to escape when your politicians are conspiring with corporations to make your supposed news sources as ad hominem and information-free as possible).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #81
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Lower resolution, a slower processor,and more expensive than the Nexus 7.

...how has the Mini left the competition in the dust?
Profit margin.
Apple likely makes 10x as much as Google on their minitab.
Good news if you're an Apple stockholder.
(Unless you bought at US$700.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know....I know.... Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #83
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Music = Pandora
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #84
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Profit margin.
Apple likely makes 10x as much as Google on their minitab.
Good news if you're an Apple stockholder.
(Unless you bought at US$700.)

Apple dropped 3% yesterday.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Apple dropped 3% yesterday.
"Sad, Shocked and Mad" by Kenny and the Cruisers

Now go and write the song
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #86
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Right, because anyone who actually read my posts here and elsewhere would automatically assume I'm an Apple loyalist (insert generic emoticon).
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #87
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Just a caveat to those who are considering buying: this device may be obsolete in 6 months as Apple will find some reason or other to "refresh" it.
I wouldn't count on that.
The flack they're taking over the iPad4 release is loud and scary (no reality distortion field) so unless the Ipad mini is a total dud they likely won't do more than a nominal price cut in the spring.
Over at CNET they're wondering if Apple isn't just moving to a fall release schedule for tablets along with everybody else.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ipad-obsolete/

In fact, the lack of the RDF is really starting to show.
Consider these:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...ni-vs-nexus-7/
*Factchecking* yesterday's dog-and-pony show! Since there is nothing to gush over, the press has to find a story and the story is Apple is full of...something...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-57...strikes-again/
Griping over the new proprietary connector started with the iPhone 5. It's not going away. All the faithful with all the 30-pin accessories are looking at having to buy them all over again.

Or, how about this one ffrom NBCNEWS.com:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/te...-329-1C6641506

Quote:
For starters, Apple is about profit. In the computer, phone and tablet businesses, Apple's competitors whittle away their pricing until they're making little or no money, because they believe they'll gain market share.
Quote:
The iPad Mini is $329 because that's exactly what the highly paid bean counters at Apple calculated would be the highest price possible that would still sell. It may one day go down — in fact, I would say the price has to drop by Christmas 2013, if not sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

Relax man. "It's a whole new exciting world out there."

Yes, it's a new day at Apple: less media fawning, more critical appraisals.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #88
kennyc

Quote:

I'm gonna call it "When the Apple Drops"

and we're not talking Times Square!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Right, because anyone who actually read my posts here and elsewhere would automatically assume I'm an Apple loyalist (insert generic emoticon).
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #90
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Quote:
Given the conversation just before your comment, what would you think your "" implied?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.