Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Interesting. I just noticed this thread. That cover would not induce me to pick the book up. It looks clumsy and half finished, the woman doesn't appeal, she looks cheap and blatant. I like women with class and style, and books with covers that look professional.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #32
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Interesting. I just noticed this thread. That cover would not induce me to pick the book up. It looks clumsy and half finished, the woman doesn't appeal, she looks cheap and blatant. I like women with class and style, and books with covers that look professional.
Different bites for different likes. She has her pluses. I critiqued her. Be glad to critique one that you put up.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #33
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Different bites for different likes. She has her pluses. I critiqued her. Be glad to critique one that you put up.
It wouldn't be as much fun for you. If my covers use a woman she will be fully clothed and likely middle aged. Most of mine don't use women - clothed or otherwise. I don't write, edit or publish anything of an erotic nature. I reserve that sort of thing for the bedroom - my bedroom.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #34
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Meh, too much sex selling the book. I'd rather sell it on its own merits rather than some hot, thinly dressed woman on a gorgeous black horse. :P
I'll take the hot, thinly dressed woman on the horse.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #35
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
I'll take the hot, thinly dressed woman on the horse.
Surely if you were going to "take" her, you would want her off the horse?
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
As someone who is actually in the target demographic for romance (and its steamier subgenres), I'm not sold. Now, put a bare-chested cowboy on that horse and it's a different story.

Yes, sex can sell. Or more accurately, "sexy" can sell. But it works best if you are pitching to the people who are likely to actually buy your product. Otherwise, it is just an attention grab.

But I do like that horse.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yes, sex can sell. Or more accurately, "sexy" can sell. But it works best if you are pitching to the people who are likely to actually buy your product. Otherwise, it is just an attention grab.
I think that was what bothered me all along about this stunt, thank you for putting it in words for me!

Isn't at least 98% the target demographic of most romance novels women? It's not a stretch to assume that the majority of them would have preferred to see a cowboy on the horse, or anything other than a woman semi-dressed in shower curtains. Unless of course she's trying to tap into a new demographic by selling her romance novel to the men who liked seeing her on the horse?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Unless of course she's trying to tap into a new demographic by selling her romance novel to the men who liked seeing her on the horse?
It could be a misguided attempt, but leaving people like me with the impression of "meh" surely cancels out any new readers. Plus, well...

"Woohoo! Look at THAT! Damn! I gotta see... Oh, it's a romance novel. Never mind."

But based on what we've learned about this chicky-poo, it fits her MO. And it worked - I now know who she is, which will help keep me from accidentally buying books that she hasn't even written herself but have her name on them.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #39
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Surely if you were going to "take" her, you would want her off the horse?
Not so fast.
Some have said a bare chested cowboy on the horse would be good.

I say put the lady and the cowboy on the horse together and then ... Kismet?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Not so fast.

Yes.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
But based on what we've learned about this chicky-poo, it fits her MO. And it worked - I now know who she is, which will help keep me from accidentally buying books that she hasn't even written herself but have her name on them.
See! The horrible ad let to something positive!

Quote:
Not so fast.

Even worse! I don't like those books at all
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Not so fast.

It starting to look like the common factor here might be the horse!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #43
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It starting to look like the common factor here might be the horse!
You do know why the old horse soldiers were reluctant to give names to their horses don't you?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #44
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
You do know why the old horse soldiers were reluctant to give names to their horses don't you?
It makes it so awkward when they're turned into sausage?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Same reason some men use the same nickname for every girlfriend?