Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #691
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Your software is in many respects great ( v 2.14): it solved my major problem, by allowing to open my books very fast, once converted.
As to the large size, I can probably live with it, but now I seem to have another problem cropping up: the software often crashes in the midst of the conversion for no known reasons. It works 50% of the time !
Concerning the settings, I only checked the box for color output and OCR ( Tesseract). The rest are unchecked. I don't know what " reflow text", " native PDF output" and " OCR Tesseract " do, but I am hesitant to check them, because as they are they do not affect the conversion ( when it doesn't crash!). I was afraid that by checking " native PDF" and unchecking " OCR", I'd fall back into the problem I had before using your software, i.e. scanned PDF images too slow( or impossible) to open and not allowing font control or other.
Perhaps you can explain briefly what " native PDF", " reflow text" and " OCR Tesseract" do and give me some hints as to why the software crashes so often?

Thanks

Ittiandro
By default, k2pdfopt will try to re-flow your text lines if they are too wide for the device, but re-flow cannot be done in native PDF output mode. To use native PDF, you should pick a mode (mode selection is in a pull-down at the upper left of the GUI). Either pick fit-width or 2-column (if there are multiple columns). Native is good for when the PDF is not a scanned PDF and uses internal fonts (you can tell if it's native by zooming in on the document to a very large size and see if the text stays sharp). Please see the k2pdfopt help pages for more information, e.g. the native-mode page and the OCR page.

Also, I have sent you a private message--I'd like to diagnose your crash. Please check your private messages.

Last edited by willus; 01-09-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo fix
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #692
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2010 View Post
thanks for your great work!

I used this ,but have small problems.

small words become very big

I use k2pdfopt like this

k2pdfopt -ui- -p 30-40 -as -x -sm -gtw 0.03937 test.pdf $*

how can I fix it ? thank you very much
Thank you for showing me your command-line options. It would also help if you could attach part or all of the source PDF file so I could try some different setting for it, but I think I know what is wrong. Why did you choose to use -gtw 0.03937? That is a very large value (and overly specific--you don't need that kind of accuracy--just use 0.04). Did you mean to add an extra zero (e.g. 0.004)? That value is likely preventing k2pdfopt from finding a break in the lines, and therefore the long lines are forced to fit the width of your device and come out smaller because of this. The shorter lines are done at the desired output size/DPI for your device, which is why they appear larger. If you use a smaller value for -gtw (or don't specify it all, since the default value is 0.0015), that should allow k2pdfopt to re-flow your text better and it will come out more uniform in size. If you don't want to use re-flow, then use -mode fw (native output) and the lines should come out more uniformly.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-22-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #693
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
.03937 looks like a metric/English conversion. It is a common idea to just convert and take whatever the calculator says. It is fun to see what some people do with a 2x4.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #694
terry2010
terry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of lightterry2010 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kpw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Thank you for showing me your command-line options. It would also help if you could attach part or all of the source PDF file so I could try some different setting for it, but I think I know what is wrong. Why did you choose to use -gtw 0.03937? That is a very large value (and overly specific--you don't need that kind of accuracy--just use 0.04). Did you mean to add an extra zero (e.g. 0.004)? That value is likely preventing k2pdfopt from finding a break in the lines, and therefore the long lines are forced to fit the width of your device and come out smaller because of this. The shorter lines are done at the desired output size/DPI for your device, which is why they appear larger. If you use a smaller value for -gtw (or don't specify it all, since the default value is 0.0015), that should allow k2pdfopt to re-flow your text better and it will come out more uniform in size. If you don't want to use re-flow, then use -mode fw (native output) and the lines should come out more uniformly.

thanks very much for your answer . In Asia Languages , (Chinese, Japanese...etc...) there has no words like English , only has Letters here.

I don't know how to explain this in english , Just for examples here :

in english , the sentence made by some words , and words made by some letters.

this spells in chinese is:

英语的句子由很多单词组成,单词由很多字母组成

Maybe you can't see this chinese sentence , so , I put a picture here

Let's make a 10' pdf , it just looks like this ,

when I use k2pdfopt to convert this pdf to 7', it always happens, like this

there is two problems here:

first , k2pdfopt splite words by sort of padding? or something, but , Chinese don't has the words , only have letters , so , the right result is

How can I just split letters?

second: some letters/words become very big , so like last line

so , I don't know how to solve this . thank you very much

the pdf url is : http://www.zhuikan.com/test.pdf (61M)

k2pdfopt -ui- -p 30-35 -as -x -sm test.pdf $*

www.zhuikan.com/test_k2opt.pdf

, I'm building this site based on k2pdfopt for online convert pdf to fit kindles or any small screen reading staffs,(just under construction now) thanks for your amazing work again
terry2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #695
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
.03937 looks like a metric/English conversion. It is a common idea to just convert and take whatever the calculator says. It is fun to see what some people do with a 2x4.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I knew that at some level--I've seen 39.37 enough times in my life to know off hand that it is the number of inches in a meter. Really -gtw shouldn't even be used, though. The correct k2pdfopt command-line option to tweak where it breaks lines of text is the -ws option (as described here). I didn't even used to have -gtw documented (which is why it says "expert mode").
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 AM   #696
Sajjad76
Banned
Sajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1th generation
Hi,Thanks for your software.
I have crash problem too.
When I choose 5 options simultaneously
OCR.
Autostraighten.
Erase vertical lines
Reflow text
Fast preview.
Is it normal to have crash?
Another thing,How can I use Command lines where should i type them?
Thanks
Sajjad

Last edited by Sajjad76; 01-13-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Sajjad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #697
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajjad76 View Post
Hi,Thanks for your software.
I have crash problem too.
When I choose 5 options simultaneously
OCR.
Autostraighten.
Erase vertical lines
Reflow text
Fast preview.
Is it normal to have crash?
Another thing,How can I use Command lines where should i type them?
Thanks
Sajjad
@Sajjad76--Please check your private messsages. I would like to get the source PDF from you. Enter extra command-line options into the "Additional Options" box--see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	additional_options.png
Views:	245
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	117906  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #698
Sajjad76
Banned
Sajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of lightSajjad76 is a glorious beacon of light

PDF sent

I sent you the PDF.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #699
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajjad76 View Post
I sent you the PDF.
@Sajjad76 -- Thank you for sending me the PDF. With the "erase vertical lines" option checked, there is a memory leak in k2pdfopt which I have now fixed for the next release. I think this was causing your problem (your large PDF was eventually causing k2pdfopt to exceed the 2-GB limit for 32-bit apps).
Old 01-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #700
nickq
nickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi. I appreciate the effort that has been put into making this software. However, I have been having a bit of trouble using k2pdfopt.

I've read that it works quite well with native pdf's. However, I have a couple of scanned pdf's that I would like to read on my e-book reader. The scans were not very clean, but OCR has been applied, and the text is selectable; but when I try and use k2pdfopt, it processes each page as single image blocks without re-flowing the text, detecting the columns, or doing anything, really, except for resizing the blocks to the size specified.

command line options are as follows:

-dev kpw -wrap+ -as -rt auto+ -col 4 -h 1014 -w 758

I've also tried experimenting with -ch, -cgr, and -crgh options to get the program to detect the columns, but haven't had any luck.

_____
PS. funny that I stumbled upon a solution right before I sent this question. There's a long vertical line all along the left margin -- from the spine of the book -- and it would seem that that was the cause of the problem. -evl 1 didn't seem to get rid of the line, but cropping the margin by 0.27 in. seemed to do the trick. New command line options are as follows:

-dev kpw -wrap+ -as -rt auto+ -col 3 -h 1014 -w 758 -ml 0.27

Posting this anyway in case anyone else has the same problem. Would appreciate any suggestions for fine-tuning it though.
nickq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #701
nickq
nickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternickq can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura
Sorry, 2 further problems:

k2 seems to have introduced breaks between lines where there shouldn't be any. That in itself is not a big problem since it's still readable, albeit irritating at times when the breaks appear in the middle of sentences.

The bigger problem is the ordering of the pages resulting from cropping the text. Once I got that margin problem sorted out, k2 did a very good job of detecting the columns, but where the resulting page order for text with 3 columns should result in:

1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

it comes out like this:

1 4 5
2 6 7
3 8 9

which makes it rather confusing to read.

Any ideas as to how I could fix this problem?
nickq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #702
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

@nickq -- Welcome to the MR forums! It will really help to have your source PDF, or a enough of a sample of it, posted as an attachment. Then I can try some different parameters with it. If you don't want to post it, send me a private message. It sounds like your source PDF has a complicated and varying layout, and those sometimes need some tweaking. With scans that are not clean, sometimes the -de parameter is useful (sets the defect size).
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #703
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2010 View Post
thanks very much for your answer . In Asia Languages , (Chinese, Japanese...etc...) there has no words like English , only has Letters here. ...
@terry2010 -- I'm sorry! Somehow I completely missed this post. I have scrolled past it several times but I thought I had answered it already. Your link to your source PDF in this post does not work at this point. Can you re-post it? Did you try different (lower) values for the -ws parameter, e.g. -ws 0.1? That might help.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #704
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickq View Post
I've read that it works quite well with native pdf's. However, I have a couple of scanned pdf's that I would like to read on my e-book reader. The scans were not very clean, but OCR has been applied, and the text is selectable; but when I try and use k2pdfopt, it processes each page as single image blocks without re-flowing the text, detecting the columns, or doing anything, really, except for resizing the blocks to the size specified.

Posting this anyway in case anyone else has the same problem. Would appreciate any suggestions for fine-tuning it though.
Using Briss or Pdfscissors beforehand to quickly partially crop the margins (just eliminating the black parts but not necessarily coming too close to the text proper), would usually faster or easier solve such situations with scanned (not very clean) pdfs for me, like when there are a lot of black shades in margins and pages have different margins width and positions due to manual scanning of double-paged scans.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=197

Then after such quick cropping (using separation on the right and left pages in Briss or Pdfscissors), if it was A5 pdf I would use fitwidth(landscape) mode in k2pdfopt, if it was A4 one-column pdf, reflow mode and for A4 two-column pdf, 2-column mode.

Last edited by markom; 01-19-2014 at 04:03 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #705
Sajjad76
Banned

Hi,Thanks so much for your answer.
The converted PDFs (with native PDf output option) are shown problematic on kindle paperwhite with duokan operating system.
The words are mixed and the device restarts.
On amazon kindle operating system they are showing fine ,but very very slow in turning pages.

Last edited by Sajjad76; 01-19-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools