Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
finding an invisible character

I have one book where, on my sony reader, I see a ? in locations where I would expect to see a dash i.e. I see clause?clause.

I go into sigil to try to fix it but it is invisible there. IN both book & code view I only see clauseclause

so it must be some ascii character that does not display in sigil & which shows as ? in ADE. it is also invisible in calibre viewer.

any suggestions on how to make it visible please
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
update. I fixed this in a very roundabout way. the original source was html, I opened that with notepad++ and tried various encoding options until I could see the offending character, then did find+replace, then convert back to epub; i maybe got it not quite right because it showed than as a diamond in sigil which I was able to replace with a dash.

but was there any way I could have done this entirely within sigil ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
I had the same problem this morning. Don't think you can find invisible characters in Sigil. As the character was also invisible in Notepad+, I opened the source text in IE (where it was displayed correctly), went to source view, looked for the first location of the problem character (looked like a space), copied it, went back to Sigil and replaced all of them with — using find and replace.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote