Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Wow, we almost have a holy war here

Personally I prefer to submit HTML to amazon for publishing. HTML ToCs are easy
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I could never get those to work for me. I built my ePub in Sigil and it would work fine. Mobi Creator would not create a working TOC and neither would KindleGen. I finally converted it to a mobi in Calibre, reformatted that in Calibre back to an epub and then had an HTML fluent friend tweak the inline TOC. From there KindleGen worked just fine.... but it was a rocky road.
Interesting. Too bad you had to jump through hoops to get it done, but kudos for sticking with it and not just skipping the TOC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There was a Kindle version of O. Henry's short stories I bought at Amazon that had some glitches in the TOC (I didn't realize MR had a copy of the same book at the time) but generally aside from the old PD books I haven't noticed too many problems.
If you like O. Henry (as I do) check this Feedbook link:

http://www.feedbooks.com/search?query=o.+henry

If you click on the book you want, you will go to another page where you will find the Kindle version to download.

Feedbook is your friend, the books are free and the TOCs work!

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Wow, we almost have a holy war here

Personally I prefer to submit HTML to amazon for publishing. HTML ToCs are easy
Now I understand your prior post.

You're an Amazon shill

In fun - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm not arguing with you about the fact they should have a TOC, just stating that that seems to be something common in volunteer conversions of books, many (if not all of which are PD books).
-snip-

Yes, I notice that many /publishers/ of public domain texts make a selling point in title or description of "Active Table of Contents". So Mrs Beeton or Fowler first editions are available either way with a price premium for the TOC.

But sometimes it's just an old conversion or old software or a mistake.

I own paid for .mobi books with
(a) no active TOC
or (b) active TOC but no chapter markers so skip next/ previous chapter isn't allowed.

or (c) all

and now I suppose you could add those which have page numbers and those which don't.

Since a TOC is not needed for a novella or short with no chapters and hardly necessary for a collection of two shorts, Amazon can't really enforce a TOC.

They could however - how can we suggest this ? - do an autoscan & add to the "Product Details" TOC, chapter markers and even page numbering. It would also be useful to add a version number so the existence of a corrected version is obvious.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
toc