Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
maurelioc
maurelioc began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Removing background images from pdf to epub

Hello folks,
I need to remove a background image when converting from pdf to epub.
This background image is like a old paper with stains and points pretending to simulate an old document.
When converting a similar document without this "noisy" background the epub file is about 500KB from a pdf of 1MB. But with this background the epub file size grows to 30MB.
How may I filter this background? Is there any special option in Calibre to do this task or should I edit the pdf file before conversion? In the later case, which SW may I use to edit the pdf using Ubuntu?

Thanks
maurelioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can use Search and Replace. Use the builder button to the right of the search entry. Find the code where the background is defined and match on it. Leave the replace blank so it is removed. You may need to play with it a bit to get it right.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurelioc View Post
How may I filter this background? Is there any special option in Calibre to do this task or should I edit the pdf file before conversion? In the later case, which SW may I use to edit the pdf using Ubuntu?
You can always open the converted ePub in Sigil and remove the images.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
You can highlight copy and paste the entire text to notepad, word pad, ms word or what not and then save as a .txt, .htm, .html, .rt or what not and then convert that to what u will. Or you could get the program adobe acrobat professional and get rid of the image that way and resave the .pdf because the acrobat pro allows you to do edits the reader doesnt.

if the text is also part of an image file withen the .pdf with no selectable text then you need acrobat pro to do text recognition first for you. so that it is selectable then you can do any of the above steps.
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurelioc View Post
Hello folks,
I need to remove a background image when converting from pdf to epub.
This background image is like a old paper with stains and points pretending to simulate an old document.
When converting a similar document without this "noisy" background the epub file is about 500KB from a pdf of 1MB. But with this background the epub file size grows to 30MB.

Thanks
Others are suggesting how to remove.
I will hint on how to add just ONE image and use it on every page (if you must )

Background-image: and background-repeat:
More info at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/colors.html

Have fun
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
lol the ducks nice tip
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:40 AM   #7
bennewhman
bennewhman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You can do it with online prog. I remove background from image online with crello. There are a lot of other functions
bennewhman is offline   Reply With Quote