Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
adam_omega
adam_omega began at the beginning.

Device: none
iBooks issue - Missing a list table of contents?

We submitted six comic books of a series to the iBookstore and Vol. 1-4 were approved, but Vol. 5-6 were not. They were red "Removed from Sale." When I contacted support they, they said the following in a reply:

"[book title] Vol. 6 is missing a list table of contents. Please redeliver and let us know so we can ticket the title in order to go live in the iBookstore."

The thing is... all 6 of the books have identical coding that includes an xhtml table of contents that links to the individual starts of the chapters within the book. It makes absolutely no sense that books 1-4 would be approved and 5-6 wouldn't when they're virtually identical on a code level.

When the two books were not approved, I thought the issue might be the fact that we had a one page ad in the very back of them for the print omnibus editions, so I removed those thinking it might be the issue. But now I get that email reply from support and I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas?
adam_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
adam_omega

Note that the graphic novels have a "toc.ncx" file that only has one listing and that is "Start" which is set for the cover. There are no other chapter links in that file. Guess I've gotta go through and add all that crap by hand.

[Minor note: Went through and coded in toc.ncx files, but when I go into Sigil and do any kind of saving, Sigil clears the contents of the toc.ncx file. Bizarre.]

Last edited by adam_omega; 04-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Add the TOC inside Sigil and it will be kept. There is a change coming to Sigil to not touch existing TOC's but it is not out yet. It is pretty easy to add the TOC inside Sigil but there is a program that can build a TOC, call Sigil, and then restore the TOC when Sigil is done.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
adam_omega

Yeah, up to discovering that Sigil would remove a pre-coded TOC, the only glitch I had noticed is that it would switch author names around in the metadata if there were more than two.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Hi Adam,
You might want to ask Liz Castro http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/ , she's done quite a bit of work with iBooks lately. Twitter is https://twitter.com/#!/lizcastro
Good luck!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_omega View Post
Yeah, up to discovering that Sigil would remove a pre-coded TOC, the only glitch I had noticed is that it would switch author names around in the metadata if there were more than two.
Here is the workaround to keep your TOC

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809

This is the first I have heard that the order of authors would be changed. Is it a predictable order that can be factored in when you add them?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
adam_omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Here is the workaround to keep your TOC

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809

This is the first I have heard that the order of authors would be changed. Is it a predictable order that can be factored in when you add them?

Dale

I code author names into the "content.opf" by hand first. So it'll look like this...

Code:
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="ONE TWO (author), THREE FOUR (illustrator)">ONE TWO (author), THREE FOUR (illustrator)</dc:creator>

But when I run it through Sigil and save, it becomes this...

Code:
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="ONE TWO (author), THREE FOUR (illustrator)">THREE FOUR (illustrator), ONE TWO (author)</dc:creator>
...So I have to go back into the epub and manually switch the names so they're in the right order.

Last edited by adam_omega; 04-08-2011 at 12:47 AM.