Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
ariellarraburu
ariellarraburu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Search by Author (kindle 3)

Hi people, anybody knows if is possible to search by Author in the kindle 3? I have many books (2500), and when I try to find a book of an author it take too many time, because the kindle make the search allways in all the content of the books, I can't find by a book title or author.

Thanks.
ariellarraburu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariellarraburu View Post
Hi people, anybody knows if is possible to search by Author in the kindle 3? I have many books (2500), and when I try to find a book of an author it take too many time, because the kindle make the search allways in all the content of the books, I can't find by a book title or author.

Thanks.
At the very top where it says "Showing all 2500 Items", the far right corner shoud say "By" and then whatever option is chosen. the default is "Most Recent".
If you place your cursor up there and then use the right directional arrow, you will see the other options:

Title, Author & Collection

Choose "Author".

Then using your keyboard you can either 1: Put in the first letter of the Author you are looking for then scroll through the alphabetic list from there; or 2: type out the Authors name and be sent to the first author with a match.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Might I suggest looking into developing your Collections. I would think developing your own storage system would be helpful with that many books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
ariellarraburu
ariellarraburu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
At the very top where it says "Showing all 2500 Items", the far right corner shoud say "By" and then whatever option is chosen. the default is "Most Recent".
If you place your cursor up there and then use the right directional arrow, you will see the other options:

Title, Author & Collection

Choose "Author".

Then using your keyboard you can either 1: Put in the first letter of the Author you are looking for then scroll through the alphabetic list from there; or 2: type out the Authors name and be sent to the first author with a match.
Great!, if I use the first character to search the author list its works inmediatly, but if I try to search by the complete name doesn't work, it take too many time and then freeze the kindle and I need to reset.
ariellarraburu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariellarraburu View Post
Great!, if I use the first character to search the author list its works inmediatly, but if I try to search by the complete name doesn't work, it take too many time and then freeze the kindle and I need to reset.
I'm glad using the first letter worked for you.
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
New Query, Same Topic

I'm a new Kindle 3 owner. I've been using Calibre to organize, convert and download my books to my reader and have been mostly hanging around the "By Collections" display.

Today I wanted to do a quick search for an author and flipped over to the "By Author" display and am horrified to discover that the listing there is by the author's FIRST name. (I don't even want to know why someone decided that would be useful.)

I'd like to set my By Author listing to sort by author surname. What are my options? Is this a Kindle setting issue, or a "that can be tweaked in Calibre" issue?

(Edited to add...) Further reading indicates that I might be able to resolve this with Calibre, and I'll take my research over there, but if you have any tips, hints or alternative suggestions to offer, I'd be grateful.

Last edited by hrynkiw; 04-06-2011 at 08:33 PM.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

You can change it in Calibre.

Go to "Preferences", then "Tweaks".

You will see a long list of customizable options, look for "Author Sort Name Algorithm"

The instructions are in the top box, as follows:

Quote:
The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort
Possible values are:
invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn" (the default algorithm)
copy : copy author to author_sort without modification
comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
When this tweak is changed, the author_sort values stored with each author
must be recomputed by right-clicking on an author in the left-hand tags pane,
selecting 'manage authors', and pressing 'Recalculate all author sort values'.
If ALL of your authors are listed by first name then you want to change your default to either "Invert" or "Comma" (my favorite).

I would suggest that you look around at all of the applicable tweak options, there are some really cool things in there.

Be sure to restart Calibre after changing any tweaks.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Robot Monkey
Robot Monkey has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Incredible, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrynkiw View Post
Today I wanted to do a quick search for an author and flipped over to the "By Author" display and am horrified to discover that the listing there is by the author's FIRST name. (I don't even want to know why someone decided that would be useful.)

I'd like to set my By Author listing to sort by author surname. What are my options? Is this a Kindle setting issue, or a "that can be tweaked in Calibre" issue?
If you only have a few books (or don't mind a large batch convert and then transfer) you can address this with a conversion:

Click Preferences --> Output Options (under "Conversion") --> MOBI Output. Put a check in the box next to next "Use author sort for author".

Then transfer to your Kindle.
Robot Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Thanks Nyssa and RobotMonkey!

I think I'll be trying Nyssa's solution first (as I have over a thousand books in my library and don't relish the thought of re-converting and re-loading them).
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote