Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Collections on external Memory cards

as i am approaching 100+ books now on the reader, the ability to creat collections on SD card becomes even more important than it was 6 months ago. Locating a book in Date, Author or Bookmarks all takes 5-6 page ups/downs. Is it technical feasible to REPLACE one of the top level say list_by_Author and replace it with the content of a manually constructed XML?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Book collections on SD Card

I couldn't agree more, when I bought the reader last year I contacted Sony because I thought there was a bug in the firmware as it would not allow me to add collections to the SD card. Sony told me it was something they had looked at but it was not possible to do.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

not possible? that's why we have homebrew
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
But why would one need so many books on the reader at a time?I have about 20 on it since april and I change one or two every few weeks.

Uncle Duke suggested to have a tiny card for each file group you need. You can still find low volume SDs for next to nothing. Having a couple dozen wouldn't take that much room and could be stored inside the reader jacket easily; inside little transparent vinyl pouches or a cut part from a photo slide storage album page. Just identify the cards and you're set.

I classify everything alphabetically by author and then title. So I'd need a card for the 'A's , a bigger one for 'D's and one for about 5 lesser used letters etc. Easily manageable.

But I do agree that a software patch is required for collections on a card.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
I must admit I am a bit of a pack rat when it comes to books, I have 4 thousand or so in bookcases, boxes and up in my loft, most of which I have read more than once. This was one of the reasons I wanted a book reader, I was running out of space. Now my ebook collection on the reader is now up to 100 read books plus another 10 or so waiting to be read. I tend to read books by one author at a time and move on when I have read everything they wrote, so for me having collections would help with organising books on my reader, I only use my computer as a backup for my book collection.

Chris.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could you not organize your book collection on your computer, and simply have on your Reader those that you're either reading or about to read? Might be a little easier to do it that way, perhaps. I'm like you - I tend to read entire series in one go.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you not organize your book collection on your computer, and simply have on your Reader those that you're either reading or about to read?
That's the route I decided to take myself, I even added a "reading shelf" folder for things I plan to load next, helps me keep track of what I mean to read.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
jakeluck
Groupie

one of the reasons i keep all those books on the reader is because of bookmarks i made on various books while reading. is there a way to synchronize that with the library in CONNECT?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About the only thing I've found that would work that way would be to delete the books from ConnSoft, and re-copy them to the PC from the Reader. It'll bring the bookmarks along with the books.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Personally I would love folder access - I would love to keep a random colletion of 100 or so common or special titles handy. If we are on vacation this increases the chances that if a family member wants to read a book I will have something they are interested in reading. Right now I keep 4 or 5 mem sticks with different generes handy but its a pain in the butt being about to use folders would SO simplify this. ALSO there is just something COOL about being able to put a LIBRARY into this one little device :-) with the current ale carte display of all books this is impossible.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
can anyone tell me why it is not possible to have collections on your sd card must be a software thing surley someone can come up with a homebrew program that sorts this

why is it so hard to do?
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
can anyone tell me why it is not possible to have collections on your sd card must be a software thing surley someone can come up with a homebrew program that sorts this

why is it so hard to do?
I don't know. Perhaps you could have a go yourself and tell us?

My guess - and that's all it is - is that it's because the storage card uses the FAT file system, whereas internal memory uses a more sophisticated Unix file system. Perhaps collections use some "attribute" of the file system which isn't available on FAT? As I say, that's just a guess on my part.

Perhaps, though, you might like to dig into it more deeply and discover what the reason is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I can tell it's just because SONY's devs were lazy/working on a tight schedule.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm voting with kovidgoyal on this one.

Or possibly they had some sort of directive or specific design requirement/concern that countervailed it.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I favor the design theory rather than a tight schedule. KISS is a great way to go if your ultimate plans are for the mass market.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote