Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
scifi recommendations

As an avid scifi reader, I am now looking for some recommendations for near Earth future scifi, can be space based or planet-side. Also they have to be available for the Kindle (under $10 US if possible)

A few I have already read:
Almost anything by Asimov
Starfarers by Vonda McIntyre
Starfarers and quite a few others by Poul Anderson.

Thanks in advance.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
After reading some Asimov it may be time for some Arthur Clarke. I'd recommend The City and the Stars for a starter.
I can't see availability as I am not in the US
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Our own Steve Jordan has several novels available on his site. Many of them are near Earth future. I would recommend Verdant Skies.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
H. Beam Piper's Terro-human Future Omnibus is available here and is fabulous (starts close and works its way out).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I'm reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling is also a good read but about an alternate time line/furture.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Perhaps William Gibson's 'Pattern Recognition' or Charlie Stross' 'Accelerando.' Gibson stays in the near future while Stross starts in the somewhat near future but takes off like an amusement park ride without any brakes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Thanks for the starters all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Our own Steve Jordan has several novels available on his site. Many of them are near Earth future. I would recommend Verdant Skies.
Looks good, Verdant Skies is the type I am looking for, just purchased it.

I will look over the others mentioned as well, thanks all!
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Thanks for that. I've had that on my wishlist at Smashwords for some time but had forgotten why.

Now you've reminded me of discussions on this book some time back. I'll try to remember to purchase it next time I'm buying books from Smashwords.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I haven't checked if all of these guys are available for Kindle, BUT:

Anything by Robert Heinlein will be good. Also try Alfred Bester, Orson Scott Card, Mike Resnick, Pier Anthony (who also wrote fantasy), the novel Dune (by Frank Herbert), Harlan Ellison.... I'm sure I'm forgetting many great authors, but those ones are a good place to start.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My hubby, who is a huge SciFi fan has suggested The Atrocity Archives first book of the Laundry Files series by Charles Stross - with the caveat that it is very weird and has some very disturbing imagery (Think Lovecraft).

Or

Halting State

Or

Wirelss (a collection of short stories).

Or anything by Christopher Moore or Allistair Reynolds
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" Series is excellent. Deals with man moving out into the solar system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T...ovel_series%29
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I personally loved The Atrocity Archives, suggested above, but it's really more of a Lovecraftian horror spy thriller (a very good and highly recommended Lovecraftian horror spy thriller) and you may not be into that sort of thing.

If you're into apocalyptic biological stuff with an underwater setting, Peter Watts' Rifters Trilogy is pretty good (albeit rather bleak) and he offers it free under the Creative Commons license via his website, which has Kindle-compatible PRC versions and a tipjar.

Robert J. Sawyer also has some pretty good books. The TV series FlashForward was based on one of his novels. They're more an exploring cultural ramifications of technology sort of thing, and from your list maybe you're more into kind of scientific adventure-ish stuff?

Out of all his novels, Starplex is probably the closest fit, followed by Golden Fleece, which is also a murder mystery. And I'd recommend Calculating God if you've an interest in both science and religion (it's one of my personal favourites).

If you like genetic engineering, Nancy Kress has some excellent work. Her Hugo-nominated novella Act One is currently being offered as a freebie this month directly from the publisher; it's in the Deals forum and Mobi is included in the formats. And if you like that, one of her "classics", Beggars in Spain, is available for Kindle.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'd try John Wyndam's The Day of the Triffids or The Chrysalids, two of my favourites from years ago. Anything of his is near Earth future when something has gone wrong.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Rudy Rucker's postsingular is on feedbooks so is Cory Dcotorow's Jury Service, you can find Doctorow's other stuff on his website, Little Borther being his best work IMO but it isn't a particularly futuristic book. Niven has some stuff that isn't too futuristic like n-space but I'm not sure if there is an ebook ditto for Philip K Dick's stuff but a scanner darkly and do androids dream of electric sheep are not to be missed.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" Series is excellent. Deals with man moving out into the solar system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T...ovel_series%29
Jupiter is one of the current Amazon freebies today per Koland's thread.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote