Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
You can probably turn off the lock screen if you hate it that much. It's under settings > security > screen lock on my Nexus.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If you are not going to be carrying your tablet outside your house, I think turning off the screen unlock is fine.

However if you do turn off the unlock and then pack it in a bag, every time the power switch gets bumped, the device will turn on and the battery will be depleted while the screen is on.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
However if you do turn off the unlock and then pack it in a bag, every time the power switch gets bumped, the device will turn on and the battery will be depleted while the screen is on.
And that, of course, is also why "unlock" requires an action that's more complex than a simple button press - to prevent accidental unlocking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
my nokia was taking pictures in my front pocket until i enabled a pin code for the lock screen. one of the features is that you can use the cap display even with gloves on. well apparently it was unlocking in my pocket before the pin and then taking a pic when the display sensed my leg through the pocket. now its pin locked AND always goes in the pocket screen facing out
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
So how come my other devices that only require a button push to turn on never turn on in my bags? <shrug>

I didn't say I can't use it as is, what I said was it wasn't intuitive. And it isn't. But now that I understand it, I can use it. The GUI interface from PARC wasn't fully intuitive either, but the early uses cut it some slack...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #36
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I don't see the point of a lock screen myself on tablets, I can understand it on a phone for people who want to pin protect their device but on a tablet used mostly at home I see it as just being an unnecessary step.

Personally I just use a case that turns the screen on and off with magnets, but even without that feature there are apps like proximity screen off that can do the same basic thing for devices that lack the magnetic ability.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I don't see the point of a lock screen myself on tablets, I can understand it on a phone for people who want to pin protect their device but on a tablet used mostly at home I see it as just being an unnecessary step.
Umm, because there are folks who carry their tablets with them...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Umm, because there are folks who carry their tablets with them...
That doesn't make any difference at all to what I said, if you want security you are going to use a pin/face/password unlock and that's in no way going to stop a thief, and if the tablets in any way modern and in a suitable case the screen will not be coming on by itself with or without a lockscreen the magnets do that job.

Technology has moved on from an unnecessary lockscreen in my opinion the only real use for them is to stop someone having a quick peek and that's only if that person has a fairly basic knowledge.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #39
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
How would I know that meant to slide a finger in a particular direction? When I couldn't even see anything to slide to in that direction? (If it'd flashed out in one direction, that would have been intuitive...)
Part of the reason is patents.
Apple own a patent on slide-to-unlock, where you slide along a straight path that is shown on the screen. (The actual details are more complicated than that.)
This is why other devices have more complicated slide-to-unlock systems.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
That doesn't make any difference at all to what I said, if you want security you are going to use a pin/face/password unlock and that's in no way going to stop a thief, and if the tablets in any way modern and in a suitable case the screen will not be coming on by itself with or without a lockscreen the magnets do that job.

Technology has moved on from an unnecessary lockscreen in my opinion the only real use for them is to stop someone having a quick peek and that's only if that person has a fairly basic knowledge.
I use password protection plus encryption on my tablet. That necessitates a lockscreen.

If you meant a simple lockscreen with no security, then perhaps consider the fact that not everyone uses (or likes using) a case like that for their tablets. What the simple lockscreen does protect from is accidental touch/keypress, etc. for when the tablet is inside the bag or something.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #41
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
So how come my other devices that only require a button push to turn on never turn on in my bags? <shrug>
How can you be sure? Most devices have an auto-shutoff that will turn the screen off after a few minutes of non-use. A device can be on for five minutes after being jostled in a bag, and you'd never know it when you pull it out of the bag an hour later.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #42
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
1. This has nothing to do with "technology" moving on. It does have something to do with design, but that's a completely different issue.

2. And there is a good design reason for lockscreens on tablets - the lockscreen is a start page (to use an alternate designation) on the tablet that conveys certain information (time, temperature, messages, stocks, other notifications), and allows for some limited direct interaction to a handful of common functions, such as going directly to the camera or responding to a notification.

Unlocking this screen then takes you - generally - to the main functionality of the tablet, where all programs are more or less available, as are various settings.

TL;DR: The screen on the lockscreen is itself a useful part of tablets, aside from the locking functionality.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote