Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #91
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not sure it has been mentioned but there is a new app in test status from OverDrive, Libby. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android.libby

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #92
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not sure it has been mentioned but there is a new app in test status from OverDrive, Libby. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android.libby

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I sure hope it's easier
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #93
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Glad its all worked out. Its why I don't like doing a lot of stuff on tiny tablet screens. I never see the whole picture so to speak. And if I have to make stuff larger to read it in addition, I do nothing but swipe left and right and up and down. So don't feel stupid.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #94
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Glad its all worked out. Its why I don't like doing a lot of stuff on tiny tablet screens. I never see the whole picture so to speak. And if I have to make stuff larger to read it in addition, I do nothing but swipe left and right and up and down. So don't feel stupid.
I don't like working on the small tablet either Atunah. I can't seem to check out a book on my laptop, and see it show up in my "loans" or if I place it on "hold" it's not showing up either.

Any ideas? I see the tablet showed it was syncing, but with what I'm not sure, Maybe another planet in the Universe denise

PS Nevermind, what is going on I went back in, checked out a book on my laptop, opened my fire to the "loans" and there it is, I'm going to cry. It' only works half the time or when it feels like it

Last edited by abbynormal52; 01-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #95
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I too was surprised at the % showing of Romance books among the libraries I looked at. I suspect that this is driven, in a large part, by the use of the Recommend option by the library members.
Romance books are also cheaper for libraries to buy, when you start to consider checkouts/dollar.

This is because most Romance books are perpetual license for libraries, so only need to be purchased once. This also means that libraries can buy fewer copies, with the thought that every reader will eventually be able to read it, even if it takes a while. Also, a Romance written 40 years ago really isn't that different from one written yesterday, in terms of them rarely needing a specific time as a background setting. Also, historical romance is a very popular genre.

This means the perpetual license is even more valuable...something purchased today will likely still be entertaining to readers who enjoy that genre 20 years from now.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #96
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Perpetual licenses have nothing to do with a books genre. Romance books, just like any other genre, depend on the publisher. Many popular Romances are put out by HarperCollins (Avon, Harlequin, Carina) and Harper titles expire after 26 checkouts and must be repurchased. Some of the other big publishers also have books that expire (which includes their Romance imprints), others don't and instead charge 3-4 times cover price for a perpetual license instead.

I also wouldn't at all agree that Romances of 40 years ago aren't that different from those of today.

As for the percentage keep in mind that a search on OverDrive will show lots of books not generally considered Romance (Mysteries, Thrillers, Urban Fantasy, etc.) under the Romance label.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #97
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have read many quotes over the years that romance readers support more than half the overall publishing business. I don't know if that's true or an over-generalization, but I do know romance readers often read a book a day (or ever 2 days). I've been listening more than reading lately, but at one point, I regularly read between 150-200 books per year (depending on the year, various mix of romance and mystery).

I think issybird has a point that - at least in digital books - there doesn't seem to be a stress on meeting the overall needs of the library's clientele.

I would suggest it has more to do with the fact that many ebooks have limited time periods (e.g., 1 year or 26 reads). Buying a $50 esoteric volume that might not be read more than 2-3 times in that limited time frame is probably considered poor use of library funds. They'll buy the hard-cover book, which has the potential for years of life on the shelves.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #98
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Many popular Romances are put out by HarperCollins (Avon, Harlequin, Carina) and Harper titles expire after 26 checkouts and must be repurchased.
Although these imprints (and many others) technically fall under HarperCollins, unless the ebook explicit lists the publisher as "HarperCollins", it usually doesn't follow the same practice. There are also vastly more Romances published under non–Big 5 publishers than from the Big 5, and all of those are perpetual licenses.

Quote:
Some of the other big publishers also have books that expire (which includes their Romance imprints), others don't and instead charge 3-4 times cover price for a perpetual license instead.
The extra price isn't really a big deal, as those publishers have exactly that same practice for physical books, which will eventually wear out, and the ebook won't. Also, most of the non–Big 5 have a much more reasonable price structure.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #99
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
When I worked at the library here, the ONLY romance books purchased were those on the best seller list (usually about 3 to 5 titles per month--the big names, whoever they were at the time). All the paperbacks were donations. When they wore out, they were tossed. More were grabbed from donation boxes each month. I don't know what the library does now with digital. I do know they carry mostly big, classics for kindle when it comes to mystery (The Cat Who books, big name thriller authors, etc).

They do take requests for ebooks, but have a fairly small budget for requests.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #100
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Although these imprints (and many others) technically fall under HarperCollins, unless the ebook explicit lists the publisher as "HarperCollins", it usually doesn't follow the same practice.
Some inside info?/Source? It was publicized by Harper when they bought Harlequin (& as a result also Carina) that all of those imprints would go to the 26 checkout model. Avon has used it since Harper introduced it years ago. Same with imprints from other big pubs with similar restrictions.

Not sure about titles big 5's do for other pubs like where Penguin Random House Publisher Services distributes Kensington stuff (Zebra, Kensington, eKensington, Lyrical, etc.). I think Kensington sets their own library terms, but not sure.

Quote:
There are also vastly more Romances published under non–Big 5 publishers than from the Big 5, and all of those are perpetual licenses.
Absolutely, but the Big 5 have a lot of the really popular stuff that libraries buy in their catalogs. No doubt the Romance genre has more available this way than most/all other genres.

Quote:
The extra price isn't really a big deal, as those publishers have exactly that same practice for physical books, which will eventually wear out, and the ebook won't.
Libraries generally get paper books at a discount (up to around 40%), although not always, and while there is sometimes a premium over retail (like for library editions) it's not at three to four times the retail list price. While pBooks do wear out libraries also will rebind/repair them where possible. Lots of popular books have anywhere from dozens to over a hundred checkouts and are still on shelves.

Quote:
Also, most of the non–Big 5 have a much more reasonable price structure.
Absolutely.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #101
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This link was posted in another thread (if you are still looking):

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBo..._non-residents

(Sorry if this link was posted earlier in this thread)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote