Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Andrew11
Andrew11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Adobe ID not working on some books

I am at a loss. I have followed all the guides on the Kobo website and I still have had no luck.

I am using Adobe Digital Editions to load books purchased off the Kobo website onto my Kobo Glo. My computer is authorised and my Kobo is authorised.

The books can be opened on my PC on both the Kobo and PC library menus. However whenever I unplug my Kobo and try to open a book it says it doesn't have permission!

I am at the end of my tether and considering wiping everything and starting again. Does anyone have any other tips for getting it to work?

DRM is a pain in the ass!
Andrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Date / time correct?

What kobo device?
What f/w version?

What version of ADE?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
Andrew11
Andrew11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Date / time correct? Yes

What kobo device? Kobo Glo
What f/w version? 3.3.0

What version of ADE? 3.0
Andrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Obiously I cannot know what exactly happens in your case. But as you have said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew11 View Post
DRM is a pain in the ass!
No exactly step by step help is allowed here in these forums but your solution is going to be Calibre + Apprentice Alf's plugin. Google for it and kill your troubles from the beginning. Believe me it's reaaaaaally easy.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Not first deleting expired library books before adding new books can sometimes cause issues...
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Not first deleting expired library books before adding new books can sometimes cause issues...
I've had problems with library books I reborrowed because I didn't finish them before they expired. Even with the old book deleted, there was soon notation somewhere that I'd borrowed the book previously. I had to clean out the other files in the Adobe Digital Editions folders as well.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew11 View Post
Date / time correct? Yes

What kobo device? Kobo Glo
What f/w version? 3.3.0

What version of ADE? 3.0
ade 2.0 or 1.7 will be needed if you intend to use alf's tools,

even if you don't, the older ADE versions are very stable. there is no benefit in using v3 or later just to process you library loans

try a full uninstall ade 3, clean install of ade 2, activate to same ID as before if prompted, re-download & check that current library books are readable on PC in ade,

If you can read on pc but not on Kobo then it is a problem with kobo activation or database,
if you cant read them on PC then it's some other problem.

If you have more than one adobe ID it is easy to muddle them the whole chain from initial library checkout, through download to PC through copy to device all has to use the same ID.

It may be that Kobo can only cope with the older ( ade 2 or earlier) DRM, not with the "hardened" version in ade 3; I just stick with the worry-free old versions.

Unless you want to be caught up in a circle of Kobo, ADE, Your Library, Overdrive all blaming each other for any incompatibility I suggest you do the same

Last edited by cybmole; 04-07-2015 at 10:55 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #8
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
ade 2.0 or 1.7 will be needed if you intend to use alf's tools,
Nope. I'm on 3 and I've used Alf's plugin successfully with quite a number of bought epubs.

But I agree that no real benefit from it over previous versions. (Although I just use ADE to download the original epub. All my library management is done through Calibre. Even with the DRM copies of epubs).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Nope. I'm on 3 and I've used Alf's plugin successfully with quite a number of bought epubs.

But I agree that no real benefit from it over previous versions. .
ok it must only happen when ade 3 combines with something new on the retailer's platform. still best avoided IMHO. I think there are more detailed ade / DRM discussions elsewhere.

so the OPs problem remains unsolved , unless ade 3 + send to kobo reader + keep the DRM is an incompatible combo
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, kobo