Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Jenn S
Jenn S began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
e-books

Do any of the sony e-readers come with any books already downloaded?

Jenn
Jenn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My 505 came with a few excerpts of books pre-loaded and a CD of 100 classic books (all of which are freely available on many sites anyway). I think that there are also some "special edition" Sony Readers that come with a pre-loaded 'premium' book. I seem to recall seeing one with a James Patterson book on it in Waterstones a few weeks ago.

Just out of interest, why do you ask?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The 300 and 600 have 11 pre-loaded excerpts. The excerpts are divided between English, German, French and maybe one other language. The 900 may have the same excerpts but I've never played with one.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The excerpts probably change by time of release, not by device. They seem to include a few bestsellers, and those probably shift around to more current books. Whatever firmware flash they use before the device leaves the factory is probably followed by this season's free excerpts, whatever those happen to be.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Get your Sony Reader, download Calibre (info and support can be found just down the forum list a bit), and go through MobileRead, Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Manybooks, the Baen Free Library, and other handy sources of free ebooks, and you won't have to worry about what comes with the Reader.

I've bought a handful of ebooks for mine (mostly from Baen, one from BookView Cafe - I'd buy more but their website hates me) but mostly I read popular books ... from 100 years ago. Until the big publishers get their heads out of you-know-where about their pricing (why should an electronic file sell for twice the price of a MM paperback?) and DRM restrictions, I don't bother with their books. Why bother, when there are centuries worth of classics just waiting for me to read them?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
kjohn73
kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505, PRS T1
I am of the same mind as Worldwalker. Until the publishers stop charging the same prices, or more, as a paper version - forget it! I read what I call the "classics". There's enough reading in that area to last me the rest of my time. Project Gutenberg has thousands of books, for starters. Maybe I'm lucky, as I enjoy the old adventure stories.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Ditto: I've got 24 books and half are out of copyright from books.google.com
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote