Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
senseabove
senseabove began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or DS?
Iliad vs DR1000S

I'm fairly sold on getting one of the iRex products, primarily because it appears to the best for reading PDFs, and I'd prefer to be able to mark up what I'm reading. I'm debating the cost/benefits of the DR, though.

First question: I've read of people reading PDFs of scanned books— does this refer to scanned books that've been OCR'd? Or Image-PDFs of scanned books? Is the latter significantly slower in rendering? Or does OCR make any practical difference in the use of PDFs?

Second: The DR looks very enticing, screen real-estate wise. On the other hand, if I can match at least the capabilities of the DR on the Iliad, I'd obviously rather spend less money. Is the Iliad's landscape mode sufficient and not too clunky to view half of a vertical page without unbearable frustration? Does the zoom work well enough such that, if I've a PDF that's two scanned pages on one PDF page (i.e. a book, opened face down and image-scanned in with no OCR), it will zoom/pan to half the page, and then the other half without too much frustration?

I know this is possible with the Iliad. I'm just curious if, since most of my reading will be landscape PDFs of scanned books and occasionally vertical articles, the screen size of the DR will so drastically improve the reading experience that it's worth the extra cost.

Thanks! Feel free to just point me in the right direction if these are answered in other threads.

Last edited by senseabove; 01-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.
senseabove is offline   Reply With Quote