Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1343...the-difference

This article claims that the Voyage has a higher contrast than the PW3. Is this something that can be noticed by the naked eye?
I think the article is misinformed. The Voyage and the PW2 both use the eInk Carta screen; the fact that the Voyage (and the new PW3) use the 300dpi version of the screen, compared to the 212dpi of the PW2, doesn't affect the contrast. Comparing my Voyage and PW2, the text is distinctly crisper and sharper on the Voyage due to the increased resolution, but I see no contrast difference. Blacks are equally black, and whites are equally white, on the two devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #62
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Contrast is independent of resolution. It is theoretically possible that the PW3 uses a lower cost screen with the same resolution as the Voyage, but lower contrast. There could be different grades of screen, after all.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
It is theoretically possible that the PW3 uses a lower cost screen with the same resolution as the Voyage, but lower contrast. There could be different grades of screen, after all.
I suppose that's possible, but it seems rather unlikely. We'll just have to wait for the PW3 to be released, and see for ourselves.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #64
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
HarryT, I'm not sure I use the terms properly sometimes but I believe I'm on the opposite side on the PW2 and Voyage comparision. I'm old and my eyes suck but with my best magnifying glass the Helvitica text on the fourth down from the largest size is indistiguishable, for me, between the two. If I go to the smallest size, where I couldn't hope to read it, my magnifying glass doesn't show a difference, either. But, the lighting on my Voyage is much brighter than on the PW2 and the perceived contrast is greater. I'm not an engineer and have no way of measuring lumens or whatever but the Voyage and PW2 seem to be close on brightness with my PW2 at its highest setting and the Voyage four clicks down. That brightness difference does effect the perceived contrast for me.

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoy reading on both of them. The contrast is adequate for me on both.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-18-2015 at 08:41 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #65
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
can i get my current kindle PW2 replaced by the new kindle paperwhite
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #66
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need only have spent about 10 seconds . If the logo on the back says "Kindle", it's a PW1; if it says "Amazon" it's a PW2.

The name really shouldn't come as a surprise. Amazon have never used model numbers for the Kindle; it's always been "all new X" or "latest model Y".
If I had this info in my hand, it would have been 10 seconds.
The problem was, they only had one box (that I wasn't allowed to open) and nobody could say for sure whether it was the old one or the new one.

I spent 15 minutes looking for a computer with a working Internet in the store and another 15 minutes searching blogs for the difference in packaging for the new and old model. A customer isn't supposed to have to be doing this.

A year before that a friend of mine bought an older version of Kindle Touch in the same store instead of newer, because they were very similar was well.

This is the same problem as with iPads, for example. A person who is not very familiar with iPads is not able to distinguish between various models. In some cases even veteran Apple user has problem to identify whether the device is iPad 2 or iPad 3.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But, the lighting on my Voyage is much brighter than on the PW2 and the perceived contrast is greater. I'm not an engineer and have no way of measuring lumens or whatever but the Voyage and PW2 seem to be close on brightness with my PW2 at its highest setting and the Voyage four clicks down. That brightness difference does effect the perceived contrast for me.
I guess that could certainly affect it, yes. Personally I never have the lighting on anything close to maximum, so it wouldn't affect me.

You're right - the Voyage's light on maximum is distinctly brighter than the PW2's. Way too bright for my eyes .
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #68
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
can i get my current kindle PW2 replaced by the new kindle paperwhite
If you bought your PW2 within the past 30 days, I think Amazon will accept a return for a full refund. Otherwise, no.

But Amazon might well produce a firmware update that will give the PW2 most of the capabilities of the PW3, except for the higher resolution screen, of course.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #69
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Where did you see there is more RAM? I can't find the specs anywhere?
specs:
amazon home page -> new pw ad (top right) -> tech details or -> compare kindles

but details do not include the amount of RAM !
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QJDO0Q...39A7AFK84#tech
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #70
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you bought your PW2 within the past 30 days, I think Amazon will accept a return for a full refund. Otherwise, no.

But Amazon might well produce a firmware update that will give the PW2 most of the capabilities of the PW3, except for the higher resolution screen, of course.
are they going to phase the older pw2 out? what if my kindle *cough cough* produces a problem that warrants a replacement? in that case would it be possible?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I spent 15 minutes looking for a computer with a working Internet in the store and another 15 minutes searching blogs for the difference in packaging for the new and old model. A customer isn't supposed to have to be doing this.
I completely agree with you. It's the store's responsibility to know what product they're selling.

Quote:
A year before that a friend of mine bought an older version of Kindle Touch in the same store instead of newer, because they were very similar was well.
No, your friend is mistaken. There was only ever one version of the Kindle Touch (until the very recent "basic" touch model). The Touch was the replacement for the Kindle Keyboard, and was itself replaced by the PW.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1343...the-difference

This article claims that the Voyage has a higher contrast than the PW3. Is this something that can be noticed by the naked eye?
I doubt you'd get higher contrast with the Voyage. The PW3 is using the same Carta screen. The difference could be in the light laryer between the Voyage and the PW3. The the eInk part of the screen is no different. There is only one version of the Carta eInk screen and both (at 6") will be the same.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #73
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
are they going to phase the older pw2 out? what if my kindle *cough cough* produces a problem that warrants a replacement? in that case would it be possible?
I'm sure that they won't be producing any more PW2s. But they certainly do still have some stock of them.

I can't say what Amazon's response will be to any particular problem that may develop on your existing PW2. But I doubt they'll look kindly on a 'fault' that develops soon after a model update.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
are they going to phase the older pw2 out?
Almost certainly, yes.

Quote:
what if my kindle *cough cough* produces a problem that warrants a replacement? in that case would it be possible?
They'll give you a refurbished device, just as they would if it were to fail today. Replacements are rarely new (unless they are faulty from new).
Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #75
loco
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm sure that they won't be producing any more PW2s. But they certainly do still have some stock of them.

I can't say what Amazon's response will be to any particular problem that may develop on your existing PW2. But I doubt they'll look kindly on a 'fault' that develops soon after a model update.
then maybe a couple of months should nail it imho. I wish I had the money to buy a new pw3. sad