Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
STR Glowlight Rooted Capabilities?

I just got a call from the nearby B&N that they have a unit for me to pick up. I'm weighing whether or not to do it.

Right now, I do 95% of my reading on a rooted NC. The two most important apps on it are Aldiko and Calibre Library. I'd go so far as to say that a reader without those two apps is nearly useless to me, although it might be possible to get by with the inbuild reader app if I can get Calibre Library working smoothly.

How much work is it to get Android Play apps working on the STR?

Also after a few weeks use, is everybody happy reading in the dark or semi-dark with the Glowlight?
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
I just got a call from the nearby B&N that they have a unit for me to pick up. I'm weighing whether or not to do it.

Right now, I do 95% of my reading on a rooted NC. The two most important apps on it are Aldiko and Calibre Library. I'd go so far as to say that a reader without those two apps is nearly useless to me, although it might be possible to get by with the inbuild reader app if I can get Calibre Library working smoothly.

How much work is it to get Android Play apps working on the STR?

Also after a few weeks use, is everybody happy reading in the dark or semi-dark with the Glowlight?
The ebook-reader-blog http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...es-app-market/ has a perfect guide for rooting the Nook GL. I used it, and I am delighted with my Nook. The Glowlight function works with all the apps I installed, and yes, I am happy reading either in the dark or under direct sunlight with my Nook GL. I just wish the display will never be damaged, so I keep it in its cover all the time and am super careful with it.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
BarneyR
BarneyR began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
...The Glowlight function works with all the apps I installed, ...
I just want to be certain before I buy the NTG: If I root the NTG, install a Kindle (or other reading app), the glowlight will work while I'm using that app. Right?
BarneyR is offline   Reply With Quote