Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Talking Soon to be new owner

Placed my order for an iRex iLiad this afternoon.

I guess I should tell you a bit about myself. I'm 41, married w/2 kids. I've been a tech head all my life. The current crop of ereaders are exactly what I've been dreaming of for about 30 years.

In 1996 I got a Pilot 1000 and have been through a number of devices since. Currently using a Treo 700wx. The last couple of years my arms have gotten shorter and my eye doctor says I'm not a candidate for lasik at present due to a past eye condition. He tells me to give the technology another 5 or so years and it'll probably be ready for me.

Anyway, that leave me with enlarging the font on my Treo to the point that a typical book exceeds 2000 "pages." Makes reading more exercise for my fingers than my brain.

I have enjoyed reading many a book on my PDAs over the years, and over those years I've been actively watching the ebook options available to me. I have a Tablet PC and occasionally use that to read on, but largely still use the PDA.

I resisted the LCD readers (Rocket, ebookwise, etc.) for years due to their size, contrast, and weight. I was excited a couple of years back when eink started to make the news and was eager to see the devices to come out with it.

A few months back, my interest was again piqued in ebook readers and I was delighted to see the choices available, but the Amazon wildcard was being bantered about.

Summoning a vast storehouse of will-power from the gods, I resisted the new temptations until the Kindle was released. Thanks to this site's matrix pitting all the options against each other, and the wealth of information gleaned from these very forums, I made my decision over the past week or so to go with the iLiad.

I can finally stop squiting at my PDA and really truly settle down with an ereader and crank out some quality reading time, and who knows, maybe make a scribble here and there.

Looking forward to many more hours reading through the forums.

Ciao.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, xianfox! Congrats on your new purchase, too. I'm glad that you found good info here that helped you make your decision, and even gladder that you're happy with it. I've found that folks who do their homework before buying (like you've done) are usually happier with their purchases.

We're glad to have you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum. And be sure and let us know how you like the iRex.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote