Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Firmware glitch - typing text slow on some firmware+device combinations

I thought about doing a more scientific measurement, in the end a very basic test suffices.

On some firmware, on some devices, typing test is sluggish.

Take Kingsoft Office ( cn.wps.moffice_eng ), take QuickEdit ( com.rhmsoft.edit ). To type text, I used Hacker's keyboard ( org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard ).

Take a T68 using firmware 1.8.2 of 3 May 2017. Open QuickEdit, type a string like 'qwertyuiop asdfghjkl': one second later, the 'l' appears. Type the same on Kingsoft: same speed.

Now take a MaxCarta using again firmware 1.8.2 of 3 May 2017. Open QuickEdit, type the same string, like 'qwertyuiop asdfghjkl': one second later, again the 'l' appears, correctly. Type the same on Kingsoft: it takes around 15 seconds for the last letter to appear.

(I am sure also the i86 had issues - I am not reporting here since it does not have the latest firmware.)

I will try to raise this as a bug.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Hi mdp,
I finally got my tablet. Its a C67ML_Carta. I too am facing a similar typing problem.
Typing is very slow and sluggish.
I tried on both the firmwares: the factory installed 1.7.5 and the updated 1.8.0.
Tried it on the inbuilt apps and on the other android apps.
Tried it with the default keyboard and with an OTG keyboard attached and with another Multiling keyboard from Play Store.

Is there a particular firmware version that will work better with this tab ?

Its not a disabling issue, just not as fast as with the kindle.

Edit: This is odd. For the past 3 days, I had this issue, but as I disconnected the OTG keyboard, a popup came that "AOSP Keyboard has stopped working"
The typing is now way faster.. Almost instantaneous, on both onscreen and the physical keyboards.
I had also just turned the suggestions, keypresses and autocorrection stuff off. Hope this lasts.

Last edited by utkarshj; 09-14-2017 at 09:35 AM.
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tend to believe that this is the issue that sometimes affects editing on Onyx devices: the device cashes screen updates and renders them only in bursts. Any such option must have a switch to disable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Also: we may need to have a way to disable screen update caching.

It was clear when I first met the issue.

Some firmwares had aggressive caching: if you type a string - "1234567890", sometimes it will appear immediately, sometimes it will never appear until you "wake up" the device (with screen interaction etc.).

The device may "go to sleep" on its own judgement and disable screen updates.

It is useless to have a faster processor if screen reaction is disabled.

Caching may sometimes be useful, but if it is there, there must also be a way to disable it.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:50 AM   #4
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

IMO the device "actually" goes to sleep at those times. I observed it when:
1. Installing apps: Sometimes the progress bar would stop on its own, but will start moving once the screen is touched.
2. If a screenshot is initiated from the settings, sometimes the countdown will pause indefinitely and will resume from the same number when the screen is touched, even after few seconds have passed.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:57 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshj View Post
IMO the device "actually" goes to sleep at those times. I observed it when:
1. Installing apps: Sometimes the progress bar would stop on its own, but will start moving once the screen is touched.
2. If a screenshot is initiated from the settings, sometimes the countdown will pause indefinitely and will resume from the same number when the screen is touched, even after few seconds have passed.
We can try com.llamalab.automate, or simply "Automate" (as suggested to me by Guest on the "Icarus 7.8" thread - the Icarus is extreme in that regard), to verify that: Automate can disable the locks system wide, and can do it conditionally (e.g.: if bluetooth is on, disable locks).
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 04:34 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
IMO the device "actually" goes to sleep at those times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
We can try com.llamalab.automate, or simply "Automate" [...] Automate can disable the locks system wide
I tried Automate: yes, preventing locks seems to be the solution.
I created a flow which:
  • Uses '(Battery and Power) Device Keep Awake', with 'Processor' = 'CPU, Screen and Keyboard'
  • Then goes to '(Interface) Show Notification', with 'Proceed' = 'When dismissed', so you have a way to remove the lock (if you dismiss the notification the flow comes to an end and the ability to lock should be restored).
This, in a simple straight-line flow: "Beginning" → "Device Keep Awake" →"Show Notification".
Guest suggested the flow of "if BlueTooth is on, then 'Device Keep Awake'" - which is also very sensible.

Kingsoft v5.12 seems to work perfectly now (although I only tested that briefly)!

Last edited by mdp; 10-31-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
utkarshj
Enthusiast

Thanks, I tried it, it seems to work. I will comment more after further usage.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
dkccerbero
Connoisseur
dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Note2
I tried too! Thanks!
I also add "Screen rotation" and open app "TextMaker" and "bluetooth" on
dkccerbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
utkarshj
Enthusiast

On my device, Automate was a big battery drainer. Even when no flow was running, 15% battery was being used in 12 hrs. So I uninstalled it. Typing is not *that* bad without it.
I can always reinstall is when I need to do heavy typing. Or someone with a rooted device can freeze it.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #10
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Automate was a big battery drainer. Even when no flow was running
I did not notice that. Anyway, I wrote an app to enable/disable system wide wake-lock easily - two buttons (not even a switch ; ) ), a Notification for quick access. I have not tested it extensively, after having verified it I will publish it here.

Quote:
Typing is not *that* bad without it.
It depends. Delays vary from nothing to a dozen seconds (to full freeze on other devices). So it can be crippling - and uselessly so.

Last edited by mdp; 11-11-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Corrected first quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Similar apps are already on google play, for example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ara.wakelocker
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u.thedarken.wl
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
Surely. Normally I code straight away irregardless (a wake lock is only a few lines of code), I cheched Automate also to see all it can do.

From the Google Play page, eu.thedarken.wl looks interesting.

The one I will post does simply: enable, disable, and quick access through notification. No background services and no complications.