Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
First sample units arrived - review by Friday or Monday!

... writes Derek:

Quote:
That means I can compare this against the Sony PRS-500 Portable Reader System and give everyone a run-down on the features of the Cybook Gen3. I'll be posting my opinions at Baen's Bar and at MobileRead as well as our own NAEB website so please stay tuned. In the mean time, please feel free to go to Bookeen's own website to see the features list and sample photos of it in action.
http://delphidb96.blogspot.com/2007/...ok-reader.html
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Thank you Tadw for posting a link to my blog page. I apologize to everyone for letting it languish for so long.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Derek,

Maybe you could hit upon this quickly during your writeup:

How glossy is the black finish? An overly glossy finish would turn me off slightly from a stylistic standpoint... I prefer more matted or flat finish. Is it so glossy that it would reflect lamplight or sunlight while trying to read?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
What could make me buy a Cybook: highlighting capability; internal links in RTF; several HTML files linking from each other inside a given folder.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Lots of different formats have never been a problem with Bokeen in the past.
I am more interested in battery life, startup time and a suspend mode.
All the things promised and then not delivered by Irex.
For all other things I get a notebook or laptop.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5 View Post
Lots of different formats have never been a problem with Bokeen in the past.
I am more interested in battery life, startup time and a suspend mode.
All the things promised and then not delivered by Irex.
For all other things I get a notebook or laptop.
Sorry - why do you want a "suspend mode"?

The whole point about the Sony Reader, for example, is that it doesn't suspend - the operating system runs constantly, so it "turns on" instantly (because it's never actually turned off). Don't you think that's a lot better than a suspend mode?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Still, it's a kind of suspended mode since the screen turns off.

And sure, that's something we all want to know because bookeen knew
we wondered about it but never said anything...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

I would say it works like a hold on button on mp3 player. Basically preventing you from accidently pressing any buttons when you don't want to. Otherwise the reader is up and running as usual.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
We want a review, pleeeaaaaase!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

No, it's completely different .

The purpose of a suspend mode is to save battery power while providing a reasonably rapid start-up. The Sony Reader doesn't suspend - the operating system runs constantly, and the battery drains constantly, regardless of whether or not you use the machine.

Compare that with, say, the iLiad, where you can leave it switched off for a month, and the battery will (pretty much) retain its charge. Leave a Sony Reader for a month and you'll have a completely flat battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound quite right HarryT.

It'd be more accurate to say the Sony is nearly always in a suspend mode. It only fires up the processor and brings the ram out of low power refresh when you ask it to turn a page, but then it goes back into suspend. That's why it'll last a month on a single change. However the Sony doesn't have an off switch (or so it would seem) or suspend-to-disk. The iliad though, only has an off switch and no suspend modes (neither STR or STD), so it must reload the OS into ram each time it's started.

If the Sony didn't suspend-to-ram between page turns, it's battery life would be comparable to the Iliad (maybe 4-5 times longer, but still).

Since the Cybook is basically the same hardware as the Sony, I suspect it'll suspend-to-ram between page turns, but I doubt it will suspend-to-disk. An proper off button would be nice though.

Last edited by |2eason; 09-14-2007 at 08:26 AM.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound quite right HarryT.

It'd be more accurate to say the Sony is nearly always in a suspend mode. It only fires up the processor and brings the ram out of low power refresh when you ask it to turn a page, but then it goes back into suspend. That's why it'll last a month on a single change. However the Sony doesn't have an off switch (or so it would seem) or suspend-to-disk. The iliad though, only has an off switch and no suspend modes (neither STR or STD), so it must reload the OS into ram each time it's started.

If the Sony didn't suspend-to-ram between page turns, it's battery life would be comparable to the Iliad (maybe 4-5 times longer, but still).

Since the Cybook is basically the same hardware as the Sony, I suspect it'll suspend-to-ram between page turns, but I doubt it will suspend-to-disk. An proper off button would be nice though.
One of the hacks for the Sony does give it a proper off button. Hold in the joystick and it will turn off. My wife's reader has been "off" for about 2 weeks and it was turned on last night and the battery meter was still at the same 3 as it was when I turned it off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
I wish there was a way to turn off/suspend the buttons of the Sony without blanking the screen- I'd like to be able to open the cover of the Sony and see the last page I was reading. Unfortunately the Sony buttons get accidentally pressed way too easily with the cover closed which is why I always end up sliding the 'off' switch before I close it. I'm wondering if there will be a way to do this on the Cybook? Or if the Cybook is less prone to have the 'accidental button pushed with cover' problem?
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Derek,

Maybe you could hit upon this quickly during your writeup:

How glossy is the black finish? An overly glossy finish would turn me off slightly from a stylistic standpoint... I prefer more matted or flat finish. Is it so glossy that it would reflect lamplight or sunlight while trying to read?
The engineering samples we got are not reflective of the final finish. It's supposed to be more of a matte finish for the production units.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
The engineering samples we got are not reflective of the final finish. It's supposed to be more of a matte finish for the production units.
I always appreciate a good pun, even if its unintentional.

Thanks for the info.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote