Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #886
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by glezmen View Post
Ahh, now i understand, thanks! Is there any available info about the new firmware (bugfixes, new features, release date)?
And something what I already wanted to ask: are the suggestions/requests in the firmware feature request topic considered by Kobo?
Kobo is always very quiet about FW bug fixes, new features, and release dates. Often the beta group doesn't get to preview the final version of the FW being released. They do look at feature requests from the MR threads.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #887
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo is always very quiet about FW bug fixes, new features, and release dates. Often the beta group doesn't get to preview the final version of the FW being released. They do look at feature requests from the MR threads.
This is why released FW has bugs?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #888
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
This is why released FW has bugs?
Occasionally we see a bug that was not in the last version that we got in the beta group. More often they release a FW version (sometimes, it seems, because they have some sort of deadline---like a release in a country that needs language support added in) with bugs they haven't gotten to yet or are still working on.

We also don't get betas when they are preparing to release a new, unannounced, device. It's too easy for their plans to make their way into the public at that point.

Companies that seldom release FW for existing devices have an advantage, I suppose. If you have six months or a year between planned FW refreshes, there is enough time to get it all done between them. Kobo's approach is somewhat different with a bunch of feature improvements in the pipeline and releases as they go--warts and all. They clearly have a priority list for all of this--bug fixes and features-- and I don't always agree. Of course I also don't know about things like fixes that interfere with something else they are doing and which need to wait until that other thing is in place.

For example, I know that they are steadily working on improving the epub3 feature set and compliance for kepubs, and that this is a difficult process to do publicly, with the transitions being released. I think that is a big part of why fixing/improving epubs lags behind the kepub development. On a widely speculative note, Sony is also part of the readmium development group working with epub3, but they have not been releasing FW reflecting the progress that is being made. I expect that at some point (maybe this fall) Sony will have a new device with the FW that reflects all that work that Kobo and all of the readmium folks have been doing. Kobo users have seen that development in progress (and it isn't always pretty, is it?).

Last edited by taming; 06-06-2013 at 10:37 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #889
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Releases as they go--warts and all might not be pretty. Sure is entertaining experience and reading about it here. Only minor annoyance as I can use my T1 or Tablet to read same books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #890
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I have a question regarding the Aura and its battery.

Usually when I need to charge the Mini, I plug it to my laptop and connect it to the computer. Even when the little battery symbol seems full, I wait for the "connected and charging" message to turn to "connected and charged".

However with the Aura I can't seem to be able to reach the "connected and charged" level. Even if it had been plugged for hours it still displays "connected and charging".
Since the Aura battery is bigger, no doubt it takes longer; but last time I let it plugged almost all day

Is that the proper Aura behaviour? Am I wrong in waiting for the "charged" message to appear?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #891
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
However with the Aura I can't seem to be able to reach the "connected and charged" level. Even if it had been plugged for hours it still displays "connected and charging".
Since the Aura battery is bigger, no doubt it takes longer; but last time I let it plugged almost all day

Is that the proper Aura behaviour? Am I wrong in waiting for the "charged" message to appear?
Normally the "charged" message should appear. But it doesn't for me. When it shows the battery status it stops at 49% and that's it, no change from there (that was what happened last time at least, but there never was a "charged" message at all).

When I unplugged the Aura after a few hours and replugged it, it said "connected and charged".

Also the Aura has no charging LED, so I am never really sure wether it is actually charging or not.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #892
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Also the Aura has no charging LED, so I am never really sure wether it is actually charging or not.
Thank you, I see.
Regarding the led, the Mini doesn't have one either. I'm checking the status on the screen and I find it easier when the Mini is connected to the laptop, not just plugged (after the prompt). When the little battery symbol is full and there is a tick sign in it, I remove the Mini if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, I wait until "charged" appear. Usually it takes some more time.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #893
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I have a question regarding the Aura and its battery.

Usually when I need to charge the Mini, I plug it to my laptop and connect it to the computer. Even when the little battery symbol seems full, I wait for the "connected and charging" message to turn to "connected and charged".

My Aura always gets the charged message. Usually doesn't take more than an hour IIRC from about 1/2-2/3 charged. Try a wall charger perhaps.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #894
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've noticed that if I do a factory reset, the first charge after the factory reset never shows the "Connected and Charged" message (it gets stuck on "Connected and Charging"). But after the first charge, everything works ok and I do get the "Connected and Charged" message every time after that.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #895
jvanalst
jvanalst began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, Kindle 3, Galaxy 10.1 Tab, iPhone 4s
Battery Issues

While we're on the subject of battery issues, my Kobo Aura HD just died from battery problems.

I had it plugged into my Mac at work, full charge. I disconnected it, took it home and then it put up the flat battery screen (you know the one that says you have to plug it in to keep using it cause the battery has died). Going through support and a few factory resets later and I'm more convinced then effort it's either a defective battery or a lose connection somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, when I had trouble with my Kobo Glo the support was pretty good (a bit slower then Amazon, but whatcha gonna do?). This time out they were much slower and required much more information. I don't know if they've changed their policy to require photos of your device, maybe someone else can comment on that, but it seemed a bit draconian considering in the past if damage was through neglect/abuse they'd just bill you for the new one. Last I heard (about a week after I sent them everything) that my ticket was elevated to Tier 2. Not quite two weeks in and I still don't know if they're going to send me a new one...

I have to say, after this experience even though I loved my Aura HD I'm seriously considering just swapping to tablet for full time reading.
jvanalst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #896
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like a back charge where the device discharges instead of charges. I had this happen once on a 505 because the laptop went into sleep mode and I left it plugged in to the USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #897
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Hi!

I have some questions concerning the Aura. I consider buying one but, since it's not available in France, I can't try it in stores... Those are probably very basic, I'm sorry...

1. When browsing the library, which types of display do you get? Covers? List? Can you get it to display summaries as well? Which sort options are available?

2. Can I "rate" the books so that the ones I like best show up first?

3. Can I create collections? Edit / Create collections directly on the Aura?

4. Can I edit a book's (let's say epub) metadata directly on the Aura?

5. How is the dictionary working? Can I select a word and get the definition / translation immediately or do I need to go through menus to open the dictionary and then paste the word in it? Can it look for definitions / translations in multiple dictionaries at once?

6. How easy is it to use it one handed? My PRS-505 is great for this, I can hold it in eiter hand and have no trouble turning pages...

7. Can it handle ebooks/documents in Chinese?

I think it's going to be a huge change from my PRS if I buy one...

Thanks!
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #898
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Text to speech would have been a real plus. I would have picked one up, but for that.
Txt To speech is user dependent. It all depends on whether the user wishes to read aloud or not.

:P

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #899
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
Hi!

I have some questions concerning the Aura. I consider buying one but, since it's not available in France, I can't try it in stores... Those are probably very basic, I'm sorry...
Well, I don't know where you live, but my nearby FNAC has two or three of them on display. However, the Aura is out of stock everywhere right now and according to the web site should be back by the end of the month (but I doubt the displayed devices would be removed in the meantime ).
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #900
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Oh, I thought since they were out of order, they wouldn't have them in stores either... I'll prepare a micro sd card this evening and see how it looks like tomorrow...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote