Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have to scan/OCR a book to make it an eBook, have one person read the book out loud (including the punctuation marks, styles, and new paragraphs) and have the other person follow along with the eBook and it will be easier then A/B comparing and getting tired eyes and missing things. They can switch as need be and keep going until done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have to scan/OCR a book to make it an eBook, have one person read the book out loud (including the punctuation marks, styles, and new paragraphs) and have the other person follow along with the eBook and it will be easier then A/B comparing and getting tired eyes and missing things. They can switch as need be and keep going until done.
That will find a lot of things, but it's still very difficult to spot errors like, say "comer" instead of "corner", because if you see something on the page like "There was a tall cupboard standing in the comer", your brain will probably read that last word as "corner", since that's what you expect to see.

Increasing the font size can make it easier to spot this type of error, but it's still very difficult to find them.

I was reading a book recently which repeatedly used the word "dock" in ways which didn't seem to make sense, and it took a while before the penny dropped that the word should really be "clock" .

Last edited by HarryT; 02-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #78
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That will find a lot of things, but it's still very difficult to spot errors like, say "comer" instead of "corner", because if you see something on the page like "There was a tall cupboard standing in the comer", your brain will probably read that last word as "corner", since that's what you expect to see.

Increasing the font size can make it easier to spot this type of error, but it's still very difficult to find them.

I was reading a book recently which repeatedly used the word "dock" in ways which didn't seem to make sense, and it took a while before the penny dropped that the word should really be "clock" .
A while ago I came across a font specifically designed for proofing. It made "rn" and "m" look completely different, along with other tweaks.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
A while ago I came across a font specifically designed for proofing. It made "rn" and "m" look completely different, along with other tweaks.

Andrew
Yes, there was a thread about it on MR a month or so ago.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

But the way I figure it, if you have two people doing this (one reading and one proofing), they are bound to pick up errors like comer instead of corner.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, there was a thread about it on MR a month or so ago.
URL for this thread please?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It was discussing this, Jon:

http://www.pgdp.net/c/faq/font_sample.php
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #83
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Text to speech can help you pick out things that the eye might gloss right over.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #84
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It was discussing this, Jon:

http://www.pgdp.net/c/faq/font_sample.php
You can spot a lot with that, especially zero and "o"
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You can spot a lot with that, especially zero and "o"
I did download it just in case I ever have a need for it. Though it should have an italic, bold and bold italic version. I suppose I'll just have to make them.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #86
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
At some point, I want to reread a book that I have as a hardcover book. There is no official ebook yet, but an illegal version does float around on the net. How it got there, I don't know, but it is formatted like the hardcover version, with all italics in place (not much, lucky.) However, it seems to be "Calibre-ized" multiple times, converted from one format to another. I can't make heads or tails of it with regard to code. MOST of the formatting is OK, but there are some very bad bugs in there, such as most (but not all) dialog starting at random positions on a line, among others. I can't fix this. The code is a mess; starting over will be faster.

I've just exported the entire book to text, and made my own epub out of it. I've split it up into its 7 parts already, and split the first part into chapters. Also put the title page in, cover, metadata, and written the CSS for part and chapter headings, some specific stuff such as "About the author of this foreword", and for the normal paragraphs. I've also put the images back in (there are only a few), and it all looks quite OK now.

Now to split the other 6 parts, mark the part headings and chapter headings, and then skip through the book using it's RTF version to put the italics (mainly some poems) back in.

The hardcover is about 1275 pages long, but hey, I'm already 12,5% done. Hey, I'm crazy too.

I wonder what a publisher should say if I contacted them and said: "Hi. I've created an eBook for you, on the basis of this 1275 page novel. If you want, you can have it for free."

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #87
jasontaylor7
Blacklisted
jasontaylor7 began at the beginning.

Device: palm pixi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
However, it seems to be "Calibre-ized" multiple times... I can't fix this. The code is a mess; starting over will be faster.
I have so been there. Love the new word.
Quote:
I wonder what a publisher should say if I contacted them and said: "Hi. I've created an eBook for you, on the basis of this 1275 page novel. If you want, you can have it for free."
I think it's a great idea. In an ideal world. In our world? Not so sure. I'd offer it to them with a request they release the ebook within 30 days. If they ignore you, you should still be reluctant to self-publish (e.g., upload to some semi-illegal website in places like russia), but nobody would stop you IMO. It's a somewhat free world over all. But remember, a lot of hackers are in jail right now because they told the public of a bug (aka "vulnerability") in their code before the software company. Is the author alive? They should be the person who decides, ideally.

Jason
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's fine to create an ebook for your personal use. It would of course be copyright infringement to redistribute it.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #89
jasontaylor7
Blacklisted
jasontaylor7 began at the beginning.

Device: palm pixi
Quote:
Sometimes I wish I've never (re)started to use eReaders and think I should have just replaced all my pockets with hardbacks so I don't have to worry about anything. Not about readability, layout, or usability in the future.
I think your post just goes to show the ebook era is still somewhat young. By comparison, car tech is about 100 years old, and they are still improving, with battery power coming back into the mainstream only just recently, for example, even though it dominated the car market about 100 years ago.

Don't give up. Always look for how thinks can be improved. Email software authors of issues you notice. Be patient.

Jason
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #90
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
I have so been there. Love the new word.
I think it's a great idea. In an ideal world. In our world? Not so sure. I'd offer it to them with a request they release the ebook within 30 days. If they ignore you, you should still be reluctant to self-publish (e.g., upload to some semi-illegal website in places like russia), but nobody would stop you IMO.
I've "found" the text on the internet and extracted it from the book into a plain file. I could have typed the book into the computer myself using my own hardcover as a source, but this was faster. Now I'm reassembling the the text into an eBook for my own personal use. In the Netherlands, this is completely allowed as I can make copies for personal use any way I want, provided I own a legitimate copy. I may not give those copies away of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
Is the author alive? They should be the person who decides, ideally.
The author is not alive anymore. The original text was published in 1892, but the English translation is from 1981. Therefore the English text is not yet out of copyright. I'm not going to publish or upload anything. I just want this book foor myself.

I could read the hardcover of course, but that's a huge book, with very small print.

And I can provide a current picture of the real book on request

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-09-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote