Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Windows Surface 8 RT

I've got mine 1h ago.
I'll post more details in my thread "8+ readers"...

In brief:
The soft keyboard is surprisingly responsive, very nice.
The Surface is stylish and businesslike. I think, its design can be best compared to Motorola Xoom 1.

Working with touchscreen and keyboard in parallel needs some time to getting used to.
But it certainly is a whole new experience and is unparalleled on iOS or Android.

So far, I like it. But I'll probably get a stylus. After all: It's still Windows and scroll bars and icons are a bit tough to operate with your fingers.
Still: Over all, so far, a pleasant surprise.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Will look forward to your impressions.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Will look forward to your impressions.
It's definitely less intuitive than iOS or even Android.
As always with Windows: You can do much more, but on the other hand this means more potential mistakes as well.
For example, the Store shows "UK" for me, although my account clearly is a German one.
Still: Very interesting and unique experience so far.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It's definitely less intuitive than iOS or even Android.
As always with Windows: You can do much more, but on the other hand this means more potential mistakes as well.
For example, the Store shows "UK" for me, although my account clearly is a German one.
Still: Very interesting and unique experience so far.
Windows never has been much for "training wheels."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apparently they will even integrate Adobe flash into IE 10 on Windows RT. Pressreader and Zinio apps are also available --- this is sounding better and better. Now my only problem is that the Surface looks so different from my Touchpad, even my wife would notice that I have a new device.....

The only thing holding me back right now is the missing stylus support for RT.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I'm interested in your experience with the bundled Office software. I understand Outlook is not included. So what can be used on Surface to do email?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Now my only problem is that the Surface looks so different from my Touchpad, even my wife would notice that I have a new device.....
Oooh... Not. Good.
That usually ends with the PC coming with a "mandatory piano accessory".

If you value pen support, the Pro will *really* tickle your fancy so you'd better start saving for the piano.
(Hmm, I'll have to check and see if the Lenovo supports pen input.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I'm interested in your experience with the bundled Office software. I understand Outlook is not included. So what can be used on Surface to do email?
Maybe outlook.com.
Have you checked it out?
It is very impressive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Oooh... Not. Good.
That usually ends with the PC coming with a "mandatory piano accessory".

If you value pen support, the Pro will *really* tickle your fancy so you'd better start saving for the piano.
(Hmm, I'll have to check and see if the Lenovo supports pen input.)
Originally I was thinking about the Pro, however, if the RT could do everything I want why not go for the device that weighs a lot less and offers much longer battery life?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
That's right: Outlook is not included.
There's a simple Email client, good enough.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Touch gestures and multi-tasking

Wow!
The touch gestures are great. Somewhat similar to BlackBerry PlayBook.
You can swipe from app to app.
You can place 2 apps next to each other and move a separation bar to define the size for each app.
Cool! Neither iOS nor Android offer anything similar.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Tile sizes

You can change the size of the tiles.
Some show a preview, for example tiles of news apps.
Others are twice as big as normal tiles without apparent reason, so you can decrease their size on your own.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Apparently they will even integrate Adobe flash into IE 10 on Windows RT. Pressreader and Zinio apps are also available --- this is sounding better and better. Now my only problem is that the Surface looks so different from my Touchpad, even my wife would notice that I have a new device.....

The only thing holding me back right now is the missing stylus support for RT.
I've checked all the apps (not too many yet).
I didn't find PressReader (no use for Germany anyway) nor Zinio (one of my favorite apps, I have more than 15GB of magazines).

Strange enough: I haven't found a "search" option in the store yet. For now, it's usually about 500 apps per category, so you simply can scroll through all of them. But at some stage this won't be possible anymore.
And even now, with only a few hundred apps, I'd prefer searching for my favorites instead of hoping to stumble over them.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

News apps

Some news apps are the best I've seen so far on any OS.
"Spiegel Magazin" for example, a German news magazine.
On iOS and Android, it pretty much looks the same.
You have your table of content, quite similar to a regular paper magazine.
But on Surface RT, the table of content is tiles. Way more convenient, way more stylish, way more neatly arranged. Impressive!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I bought a Surface RT also and believe it is super awesome. It's a tablet where you can actually get serious work done. The Windows 8 Modern UI is way better than Android and iOS.

FYI, don't carry the Surface RT in a bag, sans case or sleeve, with a metal spiral notebook. It will scratch There goes my resale value.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote