Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #241
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
The difference would then be "professional proofreaders" on one side and amateur proofreaders on the other. What is your point ?
Because mine would be that in this issue, it seems amateurs are often better at proofreading than professionals. The real question is why ...
The difference, I would imagine, is that some publishers do not seem to want the expense of paying proofreaders.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #242
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
OK, then, let's forget about proofreading (amateur or professional), put a big, conical hat with a "D" on it on our heads, sit in front of our screens and gladly accept the shining spelling and grammatical examples thrown up by the social media sites as the way to go ...
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #243
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
OK, then, let's forget about proofreading (amateur or professional), put a big, conical hat with a "D" on it on our heads, sit in front of our screens and gladly accept the shining spelling and grammatical examples thrown up by the social media sites as the way to go ...
What do the postings on a social media site have to do with errors in a purchased ebook?

I fail to see the point you are trying to make.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
What do the postings on a social media site have to do with errors in a purchased ebook?

I think he's lost his mind and is ready for the asylum. He's making no useful point here. In face, none of John's messages have made any point worth making.

If I am reading an eBook and I happen to notice errors, I will mark them and fix them after I've finished reading unless the any of the errors are recurring and annoying enough that I have to fix them before continuing. When I am done, I might not have a perfectly correct eBook, but it will be better then it was before.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #245
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think he's lost his mind and is ready for the asylum. He's making no useful point here. In face, none of John's messages have made any point worth making.
I thought the point was quite clear. Let's forget about proofreading altogether, and just blindly accept the degraded state of the English language. If it's good enough for social media, why not for professional purposes?

Rather than nitpick over what exactly is a proofreader, I'd much rather see a book that's at least been read by a human and undergone some basic attempts at error correction; punctuation, capitalization, proper use of hyphens (not simply because the word was hyphenated on paper), OCR errors fixed, etc.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #246
John the Miner
Enthusiast

That's exactly what I meant.
If the world's languages (to be more precise, English) are going to be bastardised to a greater degree by the internet and social media, and, what's more, these bastardisations become accepted as the norm because the standard of education has slipped drastically and fewer and fewer teachers take the time to correct the students, then there's very little point worrying about whether the text in your ebooks is spelt right, or punctuated right, or grammatically right.
If you "proofread" the ebooks, spot the many literals contained therein and then correct them to your heart's content, in many cases it would be like pissing in your wetsuit: it gives you a nice, warm feeling inside; it makes you feel good while you're doing it; it gives you a great sense of relief; nobody else is likely to see you do it; and, best of all, you're the only one who knows you're doing it.

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-18-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #247
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you "proofread" the ebooks, spot the many literals contained therein and then correct them to your heart's content, in many cases it would be like pissing in your wetsuit: it gives you a nice, warm feeling inside; it makes you feel good while you're doing it; it gives you a great sense of relief; nobody else is likely to see you do it; and, best of all, you're the only one who knows you're doing it.
That's why some of us like to proofread public domain texts, John, and post the results here (and elsewhere); precisely so that others DO see them and benefit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #248
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If the world's languages (to be more precise, English) are going to be bastardised to a greater degree by the internet and social media, and, what's more, these bastardisations become accepted as the norm because the standard of education has slipped drastically and fewer and fewer teachers take the time to correct the students, then there's very little point worrying about whether the text in your ebooks is spelt right, or punctuated right, or grammatically right.
Let's say I read a book, make all the corrections for the errors I have found while reading. I then pass this book over to my wife to read and she reads it. She then doesn't have a books with as many (if any) errors in it. It's a better read for her. If I reread that book someday, it's a better read for me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #249
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist

Quote:
I'd just prefer an ebook I purchase to be error free, if I'm being honest. Kinda like the paper books I buy.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #250
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One does not pay for an eBook full of errors.
Yes one does, even if inadvertently. I must have a dozen ebooks that I've paid for but are unreadable because of gross formatting errors, and neither the vendor nor the publisher has deigned to answer my emails asking for a refund.

Last edited by AlexBell; 06-22-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: improved the grammar
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #251
John the Miner
Enthusiast

BTW, has anybody made a comment on the plural of the word 'erratum'? How many of you would correct it when you "proofread" it? I await with bated breath ...

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-22-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #252
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
BTW, has anybody made a comment on the plural of the word 'erratum'? How many of you would correct it when you "proofread" it? I await with bated breath ...
A thankless task no doubt, being exanimatus. Head up, and remember, "nitor in adversum, nec me, qui cætera vincit impetus, et rapido contrarius evehor orbi"

Or, to put it another way, "facio liberos ex liberi libris libraque"

Last edited by plib; 06-22-2012 at 03:33 AM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #253
John the Miner
Enthusiast

I would have thought all the "proofreaders" around the joint would have jumped on that one right from the word "go".
But, being a professional proofreader with about 50 years' experience, what would I know?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #254
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I would have thought all the "proofreaders" around the joint would have jumped on that one right from the word "go".
But, being a professional proofreader with about 50 years' experience, what would I know?
Not enough to put line spaces between your paragraphs apparently.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #255
John the Miner
Enthusiast

Well, if I happened to be doing this professionally, maybe I would have. Seeing I'm not, I'm not worrying about it.
Why should style be an issue in a discussion like this? I don't always put my right foot on the floor first when I get out of bed ...

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-22-2012 at 06:01 AM.