Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Thumbs up Onyx Boox M92 sample has arrived. First imression - I love it!

So guys, I’ve finally got my sample Onyx Boox M92 and I can say I am really impressed!
I love the new controls (buttons and joystick) and device is noticeable faster as the predecessor.
There is a lot improvement not only in hardware but also in software. It has got Coolreader (for a lot of formats) now. PDF reading and zooming is very comfortable.
What is currently still bad on that software:
- Dictionaries - not available (except English-Chinese). May be third party or OS dictionaries are compatible, will check it
- Writing and scribbling with Stylus is not as precise as it should be, although there is very fast reaction of the screen to the stylus touch (just like a pen).
I will test it now a couple of days and then record a video review…

I think this device can be offered by traders now without being ashamed of quality of the product.

In this shop: http://www.ereader-store.de (my recommendation)

The retail price will be 349 EUR (with tax)

Delivery date is approx. 26th December

Here are some first pictures:

[MOD: very large pictures converted to links from embedded]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/M92-1s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/M92-2s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/M92-3s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/M92-4s.jpg

Last edited by Booxtor; 12-12-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: pictures too big
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Thanks for the quick review! Hope to hear from you soon with a detailed review of the M92.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this available in the USA and if so, what will the price be? Going from Euro to Dollars makes this way overpriced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this available in the USA and if so, what will the price be? Going from Euro to Dollars makes this way overpriced.
Abroad of EU you don't have to pay EU taxes if you order from EU online store.
So I guess your price were approx. USD 399. But better you ask your local retailer.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Man, great news. Take a look at this PDF:
http://static.springsource.org/sprin...-reference.pdf (I attached it anyway).

The new Kindle DX (that one with joystick) manage to browse this huge programming technical PDF document with 1 page in less than one second (really impressive ); the new Sony 6" (with reflow on) takes about 20s to load a page . Try to browse the PDF from page 70-72 (page 70 starts with "arguments, each representing a dependency. Calling a static") and please tell me how it behaves with reflow off then on .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spring-framework-reference.pdf (4.16 MB, 2379 views)
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's just lulling you into a false sense of security. In two weeks it will begin inexplicably crashing.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Now that is some seriously good news, thanks Booxtor!

Is the stylus issue really a software issue? The stylus in the old Boox60 model isn't very precise either. What is more, mine seems to be angle dependant, how you hold and press the stylus against the screen. Maybe a better stylus is needed?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Man, great news. Take a look at this PDF:
http://static.springsource.org/sprin...-reference.pdf (I attached it anyway).

The new Kindle DX (that one with joystick) manage to browse this huge programming technical PDF document with 1 page in less than one second (really impressive ); the new Sony 6" (with reflow on) takes about 20s to load a page . Try to browse the PDF from page 70-72 (page 70 starts with "arguments, each representing a dependency. Calling a static") and please tell me how it behaves with reflow off then on .
I have tested your document. Opening time - two seconds, page turning time - less than one second. Navigating to a particular page (via progress bar or goto page# function) - less than one second. Page scribbeled with annotations -goto next/previous page - less than one second. Wow!

upd.:

after three days testings I can say, the pdf reading on that device with the zooming, navigating and annotation tools is the best of all I could test before - it is allmost perfect!

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-20-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

PDF technical document programming

Thanks man, than that is a programmer's reader.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It's just lulling you into a false sense of security. In two weeks it will begin inexplicably crashing.
It is not necessarily true. My exchanged sample M90 (you can see it on my first picture on the left) works just fine. It is almost as fast as m92. I just do not like capacitive buttons on it. By the way, that is the only one existing m90 in black body (made by Onyx especially for my ). I am going to sell it now. It has got new cover (just like m92). Price - EUR300. If somebody interested in, just PM me.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It is not necessarily true. My exchanged sample M90 (you can see it on my first picture on the left) works just fine.
I wish mine worked just fine. I only use it for reading novels, and just getting it to come out of sleep and open a book is a ten minute process with all the plugging in and rebooting.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
adrhc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
... M90 ... It is almost as fast as m92 ...
Than how come that now it deals so well with the PDF you tested above ? I remember the test you did by comparing Pocketbook 903 with M90 and M90 was quite slow.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Than how come that now it deals so well with the PDF you tested above ? I remember the test you did by comparing Pocketbook 903 with M90 and M90 was quite slow.
I am speaking of the updated version of M90 that I've got recently. My first sample (the white one you can see in my videos) was indeed a disaster.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
adrhc
Connoisseur

Oh, now is clear; anyway, I'm waiting for your video with the M92's review.
But about the PDF I give you to try I would like more details.
Do you have the fit-to-width view and still takes less than 1s per page turn both for portrait and landscape ?
How it handle the reflow ? by what amount it breaks the formatting ?

A video would be very helpful too .

Last edited by adrhc; 11-20-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am contemplating the M92 as well as Pocketbook's similar offerings. The M92 seems to have better hardware and is more aesthetically pleasing to me. The only reason I'd choose a Pocketbook instead would be if the software of the M92 continued on like the software of the M90 (read: if the software on the Boox hasn't improved enough, I'll buy a Pocketbook)

As the Boox doesn't seem to get any "professional" reviews (whatever this means), I am very much looking forward to a video of the M92 from Booxtor. I am particularly interested in the djvu format performance, as most of my documents are of this format. I would include a document, but the forums do not allow .djvu files to be attached. If you could somehow include this in your assessment, I'd be most grateful.

At any rate, thanks for sharing what you have so far.

Last edited by measure; 11-20-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Odd grammar
measure is offline   Reply With Quote