Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #46
richreads
Connoisseur
richreads began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Glo,
i've been trying the option to insert the book metadata at the start of the book.
it's great. bit it is bracketing series with a <b> and </b>.
richreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by richreads View Post
i've been trying the option to insert the book metadata at the start of the book.
it's great. bit it is bracketing series with a <b> and </b>.
Why is that bad?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #48
richreads
Connoisseur
richreads began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Glo,
sorry i guess i wasn't clear.
after i convert it is showing the <b> </b> when i view the lfr in the the viewer.
I've attached a screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-26-2009 2-00-29 PM.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	32991  
richreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, will be fixed in 0.6.1
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #50
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
Nope...first thing I thought of...
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #51
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
Double checked...rebooted system, checked processes for all users, no calibre listed. Tried install, get message the calibre is running and install won't go any further.
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #52
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
there is still an override css (except that it's called extra css) so you should just be able to use it as before, with the exception of font sizes, which you may have to play around a little bit with.
Sorry, so I should put this:

--override-css "p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt}"

into the extra css box? Same syntax? Then do I leave the margins section on the page setup dialog all at 0? Thanks.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #53
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
In the viewer, is it still possible to remove the toolbars? I tried right clicking all over the place like in 5.14 and did not see the option.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #54
vbu
vbu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for this great software Kovid! I really like the new conversion from RB format as I have a lot of old books from my (now dead) Rocket eBook Pro I'd love to read again.

One thing, could you add validation to ebook-convert so it won't let you specify the same filename for both input and output? I was converting a book and using the linux autocompletion to quickly fill out the name and pressed enter before changing the output file extension. Result? A clobbered input file.

E.g. I ran this

ebook-convert input.rb input.rb

instead of

ebook-convert input.rb input.epub

Thanks
vbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@vbu: opena ticket so I dont forget

@ralob: I don;t think anything toolbar related changed in the viewer.

@slantybard: yes, the margin setting is for overall page margins, not paragraph margins

@pghmark: Hmm not sure what could be causing this, as far as i know, the installer simply checks for calibre.exe in the running processes.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #56
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Thanks, Kovid, for this wonderful piece of software --- I can't say enough good things about it.

There is one behavior that baffles me. I run all my ebooks through Book Designer, create a lit file, then have Calibre convert it to lrf for my Sony Reader PRS-505. In Book Designer, I highlight the book title and author and designate them as such. Book Designer will center these and make the font larger in relation to the rest of the text, and it will note the metadata.

In Calibre version 5.14, I change the font size of the output from the default size of 10 points to 9 points. Everything converts great and looks proportional on the Sony Reader. However, in Calibre version 6.0 if I change the font size from the default "0.0" to 9 points, the book title and book author take up virtually the complete page! The rest of the text looks fine. If I leave the default font size at "0.0", the resulting page with the book title and book author on it looks normal. The body text, however, is a little larger than I like it, at 10 points.

I can "sort of" solve the problem by just highlighting, centering, and bolding the book author and book title in Book Designer without indicating that they are in fact the book author and book title, but this seems a less than ideal solution. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can effect a better fix? Thanks!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The font rescaling code has been changed, it now uses two inputs, the base font size and a font size key.

The font size key is a list of sizes to map the logical sizes xx-small, x-small, small, normal, large, x-large, xx-large etc to. All sizes in the document are sized proportionately by the key. If you find the high end becoming too large try setting a key that has different (I can't remember whether smaller of larger sizes on the high end).

If I remember right the SONY reader output profile by default uses the key
7.5, 9, 10, 12, 15.5, 20, 22, 24

This key has been optimized for EPUB output as going forward I'm pretty sure SONY will drop LRF. You might have to experiment a little to find the best key for your needs.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #58
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Thanks, Kovid. I'll play with the input and output a bit more keeping your comments in mind. I'd like to go "whole hog" into epub output, but I'm bothered by the fact that the Sony PRS-505 has no epub support for justified text, and with the events/rumors floating around Sony the last couple of days I'm afraid that there may not be any more updates to the Sony software, and a near zero chance of the justification being provided.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #59
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@vbu: opena ticket so I dont forget

@ralob: I don;t think anything toolbar related changed in the viewer.

@slantybard: yes, the margin setting is for overall page margins, not paragraph margins

@pghmark: Hmm not sure what could be causing this, as far as i know, the installer simply checks for calibre.exe in the running processes.
I went back to 5.14 and I could remove either toolbar but I can't on 6.0 or 6.1.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralob View Post
I went back to 5.14 and I could remove either toolbar but I can't on 6.0 or 6.1.
Open a ticket and I'll look at it when I have a moment