Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #61
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
b, you and I are on the same page totally.

I'll keep my KA1, thank you.

Meanwhile, I'm torn whether to get 7" Libra or the 8" Forma or KA1 as an upgrade gift for a lady still using a 6" Sony PRS T1. Any thoughts on this?
Any of them will be an improvement on the PRS T1 (which was my first reader), though she will need some time getting used to a very different software - the buttons should help though.

I'd say not the KA1 which is much heavier, but possibly the Libra if your lady uses it a lot on the go, the Forma otherwise, though I do use my Forma on the go: I choose handbags with a pocket which protects it so I don't need a case which would make it heavier and bulkier.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #62
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
b, you and I are on the same page totally.

I'll keep my KA1, thank you.

Meanwhile, I'm torn whether to get 7" Libra or the 8" Forma or KA1 as an upgrade gift for a lady still using a 6" Sony PRS T1. Any thoughts on this?
If it's a present and you can't ask, I would go for something 1) with buttons, in case she doesn't like/can't get used to the touch screen and 2) closest in size and her weight to her previous ereader. So, the Libra. 8" might be too much to get used to, unless you think she could benefit from it - i.e. if she's an older lady with sight problems who is used to keep her font size very big, she might enjoy having a bigger screen. Or if she only keeps it around the house and she wouldn't care whether it fits in her bag or not.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
- PDF reading and navigation appears improved, with page preview function
Inherently for any thing magazine, multicolumn, larger than 7" book, letter or A4 size, especially old scanned documents a PDF reader under 10" is often useless no matter how good the software is. To read any PDF you need 13" and a faster CPU than in most ereaders or tablets.

Sounds like a good Mk2 H2O replacement, though I'm hoping my 6.8" Aura H2O mk1 doesn't break.

I do think recessed screen (if IR) is good, I prefer best white without any front light. Also buttons is really good.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-05-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: buttons
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #64
a-m13
a-m13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Do you really need buttons ?

How do you know Kobo@Libra has a better screen ? The H2O 2 edition has an excellent screen even through 220dpi.

When comparing KOBO_H2O vs Kindle_Oasis, Kobo_H2O had a better contrast and sharper font that stood out from the screen. Difference in pixels would definitely not recognize the eye..

Kobo_Libra captivated me a lot. I plan to upgrade my H2O for LIBRA. (because I would welcome buttons)
* But before buying I prefer to wait for the first tests

PS : Depends on you. If H2O doesn't suit you, replace it with Kobo_Libra.
You're right, I suppose the screen is better because of the resolution but that's it. The button and espacially the form factor seem better for handling also.

Do you think its firmware functionalities will be ported to older models?
a-m13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #65
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The display is there for both epub and kepub. But, epub only does full book progress. The header shows the current chapter, but, the progress is full book.
Thanks
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #66
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m13 View Post
Yes. Kobo has typically kept all the devices (except the oldest) on the same firmware. There have been some minor exceptions to this (on-device library borrowing for example), but generally the firmware will be very similar
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #67
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Will the Libra have a setting to lock the screen in the landscape orientation? Does the Forma?

With the right sort of stand-up cover, reading on a landscape 7" screen might be very nice!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #68
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m13 View Post

Yes, it's confirmed. But what model/Kobo will be exactly recever new foncionalitys, unfortunately I do not know.
Kobo Libra H2O has firmware "4.16.13337", so soon in the next update we will know which device will receive new features

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-05-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #69
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a question for Forma owners: are the buttons soft or hard to press? I'm looking into getting the Libra once it's released but the tendons in my wrists are prone to inflamation due to heavy mouse/keyboard use, and if the buttons were hard they would definitely bother me, especially after a work day.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #70
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
The smaller screen size makes me lean toward the Aura One (which I already have) or the Forma (which I'm considering buying).

Hopefully the prior models (A1 and Forma) will still be available in a couple of months.
To me the eight-inch screen makes a huge difference over the seven-inch screen-the Forma is a good unit.( I also have an Oasis 2)
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #71
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I have a question for Forma owners: are the buttons soft or hard to press? I'm looking into getting the Libra once it's released but the tendons in my wrists are prone to inflamation due to heavy mouse/keyboard use, and if the buttons were hard they would definitely bother me, especially after a work day.
The page turn buttons are as easy to press as the Oasis-BUT the power button is stiffer.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #72
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Inherently for any thing magazine, multicolumn, larger than 7" book, letter or A4 size, especially old scanned documents a PDF reader under 10" is often useless no matter how good the software is. To read any PDF you need 13" and a faster CPU than in most ereaders or tablets.
This is an inappropriately absolutist statement. Maybe you need a 13" tablet, but I don't. I happily read A4 formatted PDFs on an iPad Mini from time to time. I do have good eyesight.

I do agree that a tablet experience with PDFs is superior to any small-screen eink experience that I've come across. Part of that is the CPU, part the easy, smooth pinch-to-zoom, and part is the way eink washes out typical fonts.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #73
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Looks really nice, the white with the comfort glo. Is there a video in English? listening to that language was just awful.

Nothing wrong with that of course but I think the majority here are English speakers?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:14 AM   #74
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is an inappropriately absolutist statement. Maybe you need a 13" tablet, but I don't. I happily read A4 formatted PDFs on an iPad Mini from time to time. I do have good eyesight.
Moreover, my primary use case is old scanned documents.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #75
mathil
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Looks really nice, the white with the comfort glo. Is there a video in English? listening to that language was just awful.

Nothing wrong with that of course but I think the majority here are English speakers?
Yeah, well, I posted it because it was the first review that came out and there had been no info about the Libra yet. You don't need to understand what is being said as long as you can see the device. There are no video reviews in English yet, AFAIK.
I don't see the point of being rude about something like this but you do you, I guess.