Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #46
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I find that most people do not know that they own a solar style watch. They come in all the time wanting to replace the battery because the watch has stopped. I had one just 30 minutes ago. And people who wear a solar watch with long sleeves have trouble keeping them charged.
Apache
Ok, good to know. I was worried the batteries are faulty and not very reliable. I work nights, so my solar watches (old one and the new one) live in the window sill while I sleep. Now with the poor winter sun it took almost a week for the new watch to fill up completely - it arrived medium full.

It is a shame really that many don't even glance at the manual, or understand how to take care of their gadgets. Solar watch, basically maintenance free, but not completely care free like a battery powered one.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #47
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Mock if you will (and it seems you must), but when I have a bath, I am too tired to hold anything, and have all four limbs submerged.
When I'm totally relaxed my arms don't submerge, they float. And my legs half-float/half-sink. At least that's true in the hot tub out back (could it be that trapped air bubbles from the jets provide lift?) I sometimes listen to music out there, but it has to be fairly loud to be heard clearly over the jet noise. This usually rules out my favorite genre - classical - due to the wide dynamic range and very quiet passages. An audiobook would probably be out for the same reason too, although I've never tried one out there. A Kindle would be out too, because in the deep seating positions, the water comes right up to the bottom of my nose and to see the Kindle, I'd have to submerge it. How toasty warm and relaxing snuggling down like that is though! Especially on the cold Colorado nights when your hair freezes. Being warm in the tub while you hair is frozen and crunchy above waterline is a neat feeling.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I sometimes listen to music out there, but it has to be fairly loud to be heard clearly over the jet noise. This usually rules out my favorite genre - classical - due to the wide dynamic range and very quiet passages. An audiobook would probably be out for the same reason too, although I've never tried one out there.
Waterproof MP3 player. A life-changer.

You're welcome.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ok, good to know. I was worried the batteries are faulty and not very reliable. I work nights, so my solar watches (old one and the new one) live in the window sill while I sleep. Now with the poor winter sun it took almost a week for the new watch to fill up completely - it arrived medium full.

It is a shame really that many don't even glance at the manual, or understand how to take care of their gadgets. Solar watch, basically maintenance free, but not completely care free like a battery powered one.
They will charge under any decent light source. LED lamps use very little power, compared to incandescent or fluorescent lamps, and will readily charge solar watches.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #50
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Waterproof MP3 player. A life-changer.
Do you have any suggested manufacturers/models? I could use one myself (for the hot tub), but I'm most interested in one of these for my daughter. She could use a waterproof one. Better yet, a saltwater waterproof one, if those even exist.

Currently I use a waterproof bluetooth speaker, and the non-waterproof source device is far enough away from the hot tub to be safe. This setup works OK, but I would like more local control of the song that is playing - my bluetooth speaker only supports FWD and BACK.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #51
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Also, the down side to any solar powered watch is replacing the capacitor when it stops holding a charge. Yes it happens to more solar watches than most people realize. Depending on the manufacturer of the watch and the person replacing said capacitor, the cost can run 25 to 100 times more than the cost of a battery. It is also more involved to change out a capacitor compared to a battery.
Apache
I have a Junghans Solar 1 that I bought about 1990. The capacitor needed changing after 18 years, and just like you said, it was expensive (maybe $75, I forget). I could only find one person who would take on the job, and had to trustingly send it away to him.

My free-after-boxtops Kodak "Olympics Official Sponsor" watch from the '80s, with quartz movement, got more compliments than any watch I've owned, and is still ticking away with admirable accuracy. Had I known it would last so long, I never would have bought any other watch.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I would like more local control of the song that is playing - my bluetooth speaker only supports FWD and BACK.
What about a fitness tracker? Something like the Xiaomi Band 4 is cheap, water-resistant to 50 meters and has good media control functions.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Do you have any suggested manufacturers/models? I could use one myself (for the hot tub), but I'm most interested in one of these for my daughter. She could use a waterproof one. Better yet, a saltwater waterproof one, if those even exist.

Currently I use a waterproof bluetooth speaker, and the non-waterproof source device is far enough away from the hot tub to be safe. This setup works OK, but I would like more local control of the song that is playing - my bluetooth speaker only supports FWD and BACK.
Perhaps get an echo dot as the source of music so you can control via voice
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #54
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Perhaps get an echo dot as the source of music so you can control via voice
That's a good idea. We have a ton of Echo Dots in the house. I will try snagging one of them and moving it outside next time we use the hot tub. I use the in-house Dots all the time to connect to bluetooth speakers and play music - don't know why I didn't think of dragging one of them outside. Duh! The obvious often escapes me, sigh...

The Echo Dot in the kitchen may even have enough bluetooth range to hit a speaker out by the hot tub. The speaker I use out there includes a microphone, so I'll bet it will be listening and talking back to the Dot inside. I'll have to try that. Maybe I won't have to move a Dot outside at all. Wouldn't that make things super simple!
Old 12-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #55
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What about a fitness tracker? Something like the Xiaomi Band 4 is cheap, water-resistant to 50 meters and has good media control functions.
This might be a good deal for my daughter's needs (when she's on dry land - I doubt she wants to take her smartphone into the ocean with her, even if it's controlled by a fitness tracker!)

For my hot tub needs, I like Leebase's idea of using voice control with an Echo Dot.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #56
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I have a Junghans Solar 1 that I bought about 1990. The capacitor needed changing after 18 years, and just like you said, it was expensive (maybe $75, I forget). I could only find one person who would take on the job, and had to trustingly send it away to him.

My free-after-boxtops Kodak "Olympics Official Sponsor" watch from the '80s, with quartz movement, got more compliments than any watch I've owned, and is still ticking away with admirable accuracy. Had I known it would last so long, I never would have bought any other watch.
I understand. I have a Titanium and 18KY Tag Heuer that I bought new in 1987. It is still running having needed only battery changes over the years. I talked to their service department and they informed me that if I ever need parts none are available. She also told me they consider the watch a vintage time piece. (?????????) 1980's watches are Vintage???????????? The '80s were just a few years ago.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #57
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
T

iPad Mini - Like Leebase, I upgraded last spring when the new one came out. This is my stick in my Scotte-vest ebook reader. My ebook app lets me sync with my big iPad, so it's all pretty seamless.
What ebook app do you use to sync the 2?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #58
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Pretty much every app will at least sync across other Apple devices. I use FBReader as it also syncs with Android devices
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sous vide cooker, Wine Ziz pump cork-puller, stainless whisky stones.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I use Marvin. It works fine for ios devices. I really wish that there was a way to sync between Kobo devices and ios, but so far, I haven't found it. Certainly, I haven't gotten the Kobo app to do so.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote