Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Epub 2 supports SVG just fine. ePub 2 is currently supported by more devices/apps, so you need to decide what market you are trying to target. More and more devices are starting to support ePub 3, and they can easily be made backwards compatible so those ePub 2 devices will read them. IIRC Sigil automagically creates the proper files for backwards compatibility??? So...there are fewer and fewer valid reasons to not publish in ePub 3... FWIW

Cheers,
There is one major reason not to use ePub 3. The OP doesn't know ePub well enough to use ePub 3 and that possibly includes making it backwards compatible. Going ePub 2 is going to be easier for a novice. TBH, there's no reason to use ePub 3 unless you are using some ePub 3 specific feature that you the book requires.

Cyberseeker since you are still learning, go with ePub 2. It's just going to make your life that much easier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Cyberseeker
Connoisseur
Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Im making good progress through these.

1. Width Value

2. SVG Images

Here is my next error question. Several pages give me the following error message, but Im not sure what to do because the line number says "N/A"

3. OPF Error

Code:
ERROR(OPF-014):  The property 'svg' should be declared in the OPF file.
Cyberseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
Code:
ERROR(OPF-014):  The property 'svg' should be declared in the OPF file.
In Epub3, if you want it to validate with epubcheck, any html file which contains an <svg> tag needs to be declared in the OPF manifest e.g.
Code:
<manifest>
    ... ...
    <item href="text/fullpage_map.xhtml" id="map" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="svg"/>
    ... ...
</manifest>
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is one major reason not to use ePub 3. The OP doesn't know ePub well enough to use ePub 3 and that possibly includes making it backwards compatible. Going ePub 2 is going to be easier for a novice. TBH, there's no reason to use ePub 3 unless you are using some ePub 3 specific feature that you the book requires.

Cyberseeker since you are still learning, go with ePub 2. It's just going to make your life that much easier.
Possibly, but after researching this for about 15 seconds, I don't see how making it ePub3 is any more difficult than ePub2??

With Sigil you can either start a new file as an ePub3...in which case Sigil does everything for you - including requiring the .ncx for backwards compatibility (as of .9.8)

OR

You can create a fully compliant ePub2 and then use the ePub3-itizer plugin that does everything for you.

So. If I was a newb and I was going to spend my time learning ePub, I would prefer to spend it learning the latest and greatest version. But then I don't mind learning new stuff or new ways to do things....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
fwiw - Sigil has an epub3 manifest properties, that will search all html files and properly set the manifest properties.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #21
Cyberseeker
Connoisseur
Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
fwiw - Sigil has an epub3 manifest properties, that will search all html files and properly set the manifest properties.
That was manifestly good. Tools> Epub3 Tools> Update Manifest Properties

All my errors are now fixed except one, and I think I have to redraw that image. Will get back here if necessary. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Cyberseeker; 06-19-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Cyberseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Down, Wolfie! Down! Bad dog!

Sweetie, you gotta stop that. They're going to do what they're going to do, and you're just working yourself up into a lather over nothing. If he goes forth to publish, and ePUB3.0 crashes and burns, he'll be back here, and then you get to say "I told you so," which is your fave, anyway. Just...breathe in, breathe out, my friend. I say this to save you aggro, becuz, you know I love ya.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub check, error, validation