Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Why do you keep asking questions that were answered in the very first post I made in this thread? You keep doing this in thread after thread; it's getting a bit annoying.
You don't say why you don't want to let your Kindle connect to Amazon.

One registered, with airplane mode on, there's no way it can talk to Amazon and there's no way Amazon can talk to your Kindle. So I see no reason not to do the set-up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My opinion is just do the setup and then leave it in airplane mode. Amazon cannot talk to the Kindle and the Kindle cannot talk to Amazon. Without setting up, you cannot create collections.
But setup implies 'voluntary' registration -
Voluntary registration confirms your agreement to Amazon's EULA -
Some people don't want to agree to that.

You can read all about that in the 'Legal' document on your Kindle (access from 'Settings' menu).

Oh, right, you have never owned a Kindle.
Your just talking (writing) out of your a.. .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
You don't say why you don't want to let your Kindle connect to Amazon.
Yes I did.
You are getting very tiresome repeatedly asking redundant questions.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes I did.
You are getting very tiresome repeatedly asking redundant questions.
I did read the first post before asking and I'm still asking because it doesn't say. Oh and if you want a device you can register without connecting to some site, a Kobo will do much better than a Kindle because you can register a Kobo without connecting to Kobo's website.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did read the first post before asking and I'm still asking because it doesn't say. Oh and if you want a device you can register without connecting to some site, a Kobo will do much better than a Kindle because you can register a Kobo without connecting to Kobo's website.

Quote:
But I do not want to connect to Amazon again; I don't want any more updates to sneak in (since I'm at 5.8.9, and while that is uncracked as yet, letting it update further just makes my chances of getting it JB in the future even slimmer)..
Now you know, maybe you can answer the original question?
One that does not require me to throw away my brand new Kindle and buy a device that doesn't do what I need -- which is to verify that Kindle books I make are valid and working.

If you don't have an answer, you are not compelled to reply. In fact, you are requested not to reply.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But if you are testing Kindle eBooks, then you should be on whatever is the current firmware.

Not being on the current firmware would be like running an old version of iOS with an old version of iBooks that doesn't work the same as the current version.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have to agree with Wolfie, I'm afraid. You really should be running the latest firmware if you're testing books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
But if you are testing Kindle eBooks, then you should be on whatever is the current firmware.

Not being on the current firmware would be like running an old version of iOS with an old version of iBooks that doesn't work the same as the current version.
Can you not go on and on and on about the same things in every thread?
Apparently not.
For my own sanity, no choice but to killfile you. Bye.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-12-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And to test eBooks, you don't want to be jailbroken in case any of the functionality is changed and affects the way books are displayed.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #25
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have to agree with Wolfie, I'm afraid. You really should be running the latest firmware if you're testing books.
I have the newest PW3 now running the newest firmware. 5.8.9.2

What I will do now though is freeze it at that, in the hope that the jailbreakers can catch up with it.

Maybe in 6 months or a year if it looks hopeless and there is a must-have firmware update I'll give up and rejoin the Borg.

In any case, the idea that a book would be fine on this firmware and blow up on the next update is pretty fantastical.

I do a literal handful of kindle books that end up on Amazon a year. (A bunch of others I do for my own amusement, to try out things and occasionally even read.) Have done it for the last 5 or 6 years without a hardware ebook reader at all up to now fairly successfully; they're all still on sale and no complaints. Keeping at the bleeding edge of Kindles has never made sense economically. I won't be getting an Oasis any time soon either, I'm afraid.

Anyway, this topic has veered way off from my original question, which no one even tried to answer (maybe there isn't one) into a tag team of people who want to tell me how unprofessional I am at my job. So before I make any more enemies, I'll unsubscribe to this thread and try to forget it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Anyway, this topic has veered way off from my original question, which no one even tried to answer (maybe there isn't one)
Not so, I posted (the same) answer at least twice (your giving up too soon on the path you start by taking the "Continue Setup" choice).

You must not be using the "next unread" thingy to the left of the thread listing in the index page.
Which helps one not to miss posts in a series of unread posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not if you want to ensure that people running older firmware can read your books too. As this thread makes clear, not everyone updates... of course, nobody can test with every firmware version, doubly so because Amazon make it so damn hard to downgrade.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote