Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Cyberseeker
Connoisseur
Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Tables

I have several tables in my books, one having 7 columns and 30 rows. Does Epub recognise table css? If so, can someone suggest a stylesheet blurb for me to experiment with?
Cyberseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yes ePub recognizes table css, but device/app compliance is hit or miss. I would definitely not want to do 7 columns on a small cell-phone...they would never see anything.

I would recommend converting the way the information is displayed to a re-flowable format...or.... if you MUST use a table... then insert it as an image.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would recommend converting the way the information is displayed to a re-flowable format...or.... if you MUST use a table... then insert it as an image.
(More thread necro here. )

I've been foolishly assuming that the tables in the uploaded Mark Twain's Letters from Hawaii were coming out correctly and have discovered that on the Kobo, one, they aren't centered and I'm using auto on margin-left and margin-right, and two, columns that are supposed to be right justified are not, and three, if I use margin-top on the table tag it puts that space between the table and the caption even though the caption tag is enclosed by the table tags. Those things are working in ADE and Kindle Previewer 3 (but not on Kindle Previewer 2 but no surprise there). Here's my css for the numeric right justified columns:

Code:
table.col2num td:nth-child(2) {
    text-align: right;
}

table.col3num td:nth-child(3) {
    text-align: right;
}
etc.
The data really is tabular; production of sugar per year and whatnot. So how do you display a table in re-flowable format?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eh, now that I've calmed down I guess I can see how to make the stuff re-flowable. For example, the 5 column table in the chapter "At Sea Again" I could say "The exportations in pounds for coffee for 1852 were 117,000, sugar 730,000, for 1865 coffee was 263,000 and sugar was 15,318,097." Is that what you'd do?

But some of the tables are long, and in another book I feel like the information is more easily digested in tabular form.

Stupid Kobo.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-29-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Eh, now that I've calmed down I guess I can see how to make the stuff re-flowable. For example, the 5 column table in the chapter "At Sea Again" I could say "The exportations in pounds for coffee for 1852 were 117,000, sugar 730,000, for 1865 coffee was 263,000 and sugar was 15,318,097." Is that what you'd do?

But some of the tables are long, and in another book I feel like the information is more easily digested in tabular form.

Stupid Kobo.
The solution is for the table to not display any of the lines and one row per line so it splits correctly at the end of the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution is for the table to not display any of the lines and one row per line so it splits correctly at the end of the page.
Ok, thanks. Let me try that. I'll take out the 1px borders.

Tags
css, epub 3, tables