Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #16
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Before or after replacing the card?

(Magic Memory shows the forward square bars only after you replace the card and it's slower than the regular bootup square bars).

If you were looking at the bootup square bars then for some reason nickel failed to start and the mod itself kept waiting for nickel infinitely.

If you were already past the black screen / white screen and replaced the card, then something went wrong in the magic memory mod itself. It might do that if your card was partitioned using GPT/EFI but that's highly unusual...
it definteley happened post card swap Initially I though it's taking its time re-formatting the new 32gb sd card, and then I thought it's taking time copying back from RAM. Seems like nickel failed to start....but what is nickel ??

Anyway using the usbit and the magic partition option was easy and at least give me a backup copy of my image to store for ever
D
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
p1r473
p1r473 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Troubles

Hello, I am having trouble writing to my brand new 32gb class 10 card that I am replacing the 4gb with.
I can write to it if I put it in my SD card reader in the microsd -> SD card adapter with the lock set to unlocked.

But when I put the microSD card into my microSD card slot, I am getting a CRC error 32 in the USB Image program. But there is no way to slide the lock on the microSD card to unlocked position... So how do you write to a MicroSD card without using an adapter that allows you to unlock it?

Thanks
p1r473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #18
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@p1r473: I'm not sure what you mean by microsd lock. microsd does not have a lock. If it did and was locked you could not copy new books onto your reader either. Maybe your card is defective, or your card reader / SD card adapter / imaging program is faulty.

If you're open to alternatives you could use my Magic Memory Upgrade Mod. It uses only the Kobo itself to upgrade the memory. (You'll have to copy your books back onto it afterwards.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261578

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-22-2016 at 05:23 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
p1r473

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@p1r473: I'm not sure what you mean by microsd lock. microsd does not have a lock. If it did and was locked you could not copy new books onto your reader either. Maybe your card is defective, or your card reader / SD card adapter / imaging program is faulty.

If you're open to alternatives you could use my Magic Memory Upgrade Mod. It uses only the Kobo itself to upgrade the memory. (You'll have to copy your books back onto it afterwards.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261578
SD card does have a lock- see:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Remo...n-a-Micro-SD./

But I dont know if this is why I get the error. All I know is it worked when I put it in the SD card adapter. But putting it in the microsd slot alone, I got the error.

Last edited by p1r473; 07-22-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Full size SD cards have a lock, but MicroSD do not. If you see MicroSD as being write protected, it's a faulty cardreader, bad card, bad partitioning/formatting, a filesystem permission issue, or the OS fooling around with you.

I'm not sure what your issue really is - it's normal for Kobo microSD card to not be mountable in Windows because it uses two partitions Linux filesystems on them. If windows asks you to format the Kobo card, say no.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #21
p1r473

I followed the steps exactly.

I even wiped all the partitions on it so it was completely blank. No partitions. But still when I tried to use the usb writer tool on it I got that error.

I am only able to copy onto my microsd card when using a SD card adapter and I cant figure out why this tool gives this error when not using the adapter.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1r473 View Post
Hello, I am having trouble writing to my brand new 32gb class 10 card that I am replacing the 4gb with.
I can write to it if I put it in my SD card reader in the microsd -> SD card adapter with the lock set to unlocked.

But when I put the microSD card into my microSD card slot, I am getting a CRC error 32 in the USB Image program. But there is no way to slide the lock on the microSD card to unlocked position... So how do you write to a MicroSD card without using an adapter that allows you to unlock it?
A CRC error does not mean the card has a write lock on it. It means that when the software did something and compared the result with the expected, something didn't match In this case, you can write to the card using one device, but you get an error when using a different device. That suggests that the second device is faulty. Just use the one that works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #23
p1r473

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A CRC error does not mean the card has a write lock on it. It means that when the software did something and compared the result with the expected, something didn't match In this case, you can write to the card using one device, but you get an error when using a different device. That suggests that the second device is faulty. Just use the one that works.
They are the same device. Its just it only works when inside the SD card adapter. When I take the microsd card out of it, it errs.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1r473 View Post
They are the same device. Its just it only works when inside the SD card adapter. When I take the microsd card out of it, it errs.
In that case, I don't know what you are doing. It sounded like you are mounting the micro SD card in your computer in two different ways. One is via an adapter in a full size SD card slot, and the other is in a micro SD card slot. If that is the case, and one way works and the other doesn't, then one of them is broken and doing the wrong thing.

Or have I misunderstood what you are doing?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #25
brno
brno began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just tried the procedure and didn't succeed.
Minitool Partition Wizard detects that the file system of the partition has errors (error code 12) and can't extend the the partition.
Does it mean that my original Kobo SD card is corrupted? If so, how to solve the problem? I'm working on a PC.
brno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
brno
brno began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brno View Post
I just tried the procedure and didn't succeed.
Minitool Partition Wizard detects that the file system of the partition has errors (error code 12) and can't extend the the partition.
Does it mean that my original Kobo SD card is corrupted? If so, how to solve the problem? I'm working on a PC.
I solved the problem and I succeeded. Great.
brno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #27
HapppyFace
HapppyFace began at the beginning.

Reboot problems

Hi Guys,

I used your instruction and made a 16Gb SD card using the USB Image Tool and Partition Wizard. It all went well (I thought).

After placing the 16Gb SD card in the Kobo Glo HD however, the Kobo would not turn on.

Placing back the original SD-card did not solve the problem either
Using the reset button, no luck.

Any suggestions ??

Can anyone send me his imagefile to make sure, this is not the problem ??

HapppyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This sounds more like you have not reassembled the Kobo correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 AM   #29
HapppyFace
HapppyFace began at the beginning.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for you reply.
Only "reassembly" is placing back the SD-card.
(Re-done this a couple of times , to make sure no bad connection.)

Would appreciate someones image file, just to make sure...

Tnx.
HapppyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapppyFace View Post
Hi Peter,

Thanks for you reply.
Only "reassembly" is placing back the SD-card.
(Re-done this a couple of times , to make sure no bad connection.)

Would appreciate someones image file, just to make sure...
If it doesn't boot with the original unchanged card, then another image isn't likely to do anything. But, I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.

Have you made sure the battery is charged? And what happens when you plug it in? The device should turn on after a few seconds.

Tags
kobo glo hd, micro, sd card