Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Time Left in Chapter (what constitutes a chapter)

I was hoping someone would know the answer to this, but I typically use <h2> as my chapter headings and at some points in various books use <h3> or <h4> as sub-headings. However this messes up the estimated time remaining in chapter. If I have many <h4> throughout the chapter, it can even say "chapter complete" on every single page turn.

So what constitutes a "chapter"? The paragraphs in between any two headings, no matter the type? Should I then change all my <h4> into paragraphs?
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that the Kindle firmware considers the start of the next chapter to be the next content in the book that is pointed to by an entry in the logical table of contents (NCX).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
LoganW
Enthusiast

Hmm, that would make some sense. So a long treatise that has 36 numbered sub-headings in a "chapter" just becomes 36 mini chapters...

Guess I'll have to live with it if I want easy navigation to specific subtopics. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If it cheers you up at all, I never pay attention to Time Left in Chapter. The Note feature is an instantly available Post-It Note. I just mark the last page I'm reading and return to it tomorrow or when I get off the phone.

I'd much prefer that than to have the sub-heads if any removed from the virtual TOC (aka "logical" TOC, though what's logical about it is beyond me).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
LoganW
Enthusiast

I'm not entirely certain what you're getting at here. This doesn't have anything to do with marking where I'm done in my use case. This is about navigation.

As for removing things from the logical toc, I do prefer the ease of navigation to time remaining being more useful.

Last edited by LoganW; 05-02-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Advert

Tags
chapter, heading, time