Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #211
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Huh. I use my kindles often with wifi on. I would like it on all the time, but I read outside at times and wifi is spotty. I use the cloud, goodreads, linked to twitter, ratings, etc. Its all linked up for me and I have had no issues at all. I have a lot of books, lots of collections. I am fully into the amazon ecosystem and I love it. No matter what kindle I grab its all there the same way.

Wikipedia, dictionary, search. I use all of it. I guess its all about what one wants out of it. I just like easy.
I do this too, but I leave wifi on all the time. If I'm outside my house I'm either reading on my Voyage that has 3G access or I'm in a place where I have wifi access.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #212
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I do this too, but I leave wifi on all the time. If I'm outside my house I'm either reading on my Voyage that has 3G access or I'm in a place where I have wifi access.

Shari
I have a dead spot right under my pergola. I think maybe we need a better router. We use the one Spectrum gave us so it isn't the best.
But I think it uses a lot of battery when it keeps trying to connect to the wifi or I barely get one bar. On my regular patio I don't have that issue. I do love wifi on as its just always there when I need it. Looking stuff up and so on. And my kindles are always synced up. I don't think overall it uses that much more battery than with it off. At least not for me. I just got tired of the constant popup that I was in airplane mode.

My only 3g device is my Keyboard and it doesn't use the cloud anyway. Although I do read on it sometimes outside for fun. Because those buttons are heavenly for me. I really miss those and the status bar. Same applies to the basic with buttons, the blackone. Same nice buttons and status bar. But I am so used to the cloud as it is on the newer devices. I use goodreads all the time to look at books and compare with my goodreads friends. Often while inside the book. I also like reading the store blurb and or reviews. Or what else there is by that author. And if I need the next book, its just one click.

Just more convenient with wifi on for me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you have a PW3 and you do not have 5.12.4, keep the WiFi off forever or you end up with 5.12.4 and you may never be able to get rid of it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #214
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly I think the Aa menu of 5.12.4 and 5.12.5 is horrible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #215
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
Has someone come across this Sign on Time (seems like bracket) FW 5.12.5 add
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #216
idab
Banned
idab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you have a PW3 and you do not have 5.12.4, keep the WiFi off forever or you end up with 5.12.4 and you may never be able to get rid of it.
There is nothing wrong with 5.12.4

Much better than 5.12.3 in terms of battery life.

Prove its not with physical evidence.
idab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #217
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idab View Post
There is nothing wrong with 5.12.4

Much better than 5.12.3 in terms of battery life.

Prove its not with physical evidence.
Some who are running 5.12.4 have said there is a battery drain. I cannot say more as I don't have experience other then what I've read that 5.12.4 is a mess.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #218
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I haven't been reading nearly as much as normal the past few weeks and since updating, so I can't comment on battery drain or improvements. It's not something I pay much attention to in general unless it's extreme, so I wouldn't be a good judge of this regardless. I do agree this update is buggy and... well, I don't see the point of the menu change, I don't care for it.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #219
idab
Banned
idab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I haven't been reading nearly as much as normal the past few weeks and since updating, so I can't comment on battery drain or improvements. It's not something I pay much attention to in general unless it's extreme, so I wouldn't be a good judge of this regardless. I do agree this update is buggy and... well, I don't see the point of the menu change, I don't care for it.
Buggy how? Give an example. It's only a couple people on this forum with a problem with the update.

Everybody else (myself included) seem to be enjoying it

Also to the guy crying "pw3 is end of lifed"

It still works perfectly. Do you expect software engineers to write updates forever? It's a $80 device. That barely covers the hardware. C'mon now.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:51 PM   #220
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Buggy how? Give an example. It's only a couple people on this forum with a problem with the update.

It still works perfectly. Do you expect software engineers to write updates forever? It's a $80 device. That barely covers the hardware. C'mon now.
I had mentioned the issues I was having previously in the thread. It's a lag issue with closing the books I'm currently reading or trying to get back to the main menu. That has improved since a few restarts but wasn't an issue before. The menu is also slow to me, it keeps selecting new fonts when I try to scroll down - that's not a bug, but it's a personal dislike of the new design. And I didn't spend 80 on mine - I was too impatient to wait for a sale when it was first released
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #221
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

So your OK with Amazon no longer supporting Kindles that can run the latest firmware? Let's say you have a Kindle that gets a firmware that has something wrong with it. You wait for the the next firmware and it's been released with the fix. But because Amazon has decided that your Kindle (that's perfectly able to run this new firmware) is no longer getting it. You would not be happy. The PW3 cost more then $80 for most owners.

Kobo an do it with old Readers.Why can't Amazon?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #222
idab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So your OK with Amazon no longer supporting Kindles that can run the latest firmware? Let's say you have a Kindle that gets a firmware that has something wrong with it. You wait for the the next firmware and it's been released with the fix. But because Amazon has decided that your Kindle (that's perfectly able to run this new firmware) is no longer getting it. You would not be happy. The PW3 cost more then $80 for most owners.

Kobo an do it with old Readers.Why can't Amazon?

Good thing we have 5.12.4 which runs perfectly without bugs

No future updates are needed.

Want updates? Buy a newer Kindle. Writing updates costs money.

If there was a bug with 5.12.4 on the pw3 I'm sure amazon would patch it You're acting like they wouldn't.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #223
idab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I had mentioned the issues I was having previously in the thread. It's a lag issue with closing the books I'm currently reading or trying to get back to the main menu. That has improved since a few restarts but wasn't an issue before. The menu is also slow to me, it keeps selecting new fonts when I try to scroll down - that's not a bug, but it's a personal dislike of the new design. And I didn't spend 80 on mine - I was too impatient to wait for a sale when it was first released

How about you record this "book closing lag" , if it's real I'll PayPal you $10

It's not real though.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #224
idab
Banned

You clearly don't understand how much kernel tweaking would be required to get 5.12.5 running on the pw3

There aren't many people using the pw3 anymore, makes it harder to patch things with less bug reports. Glad they stopped sending updates, they would have only gone down in quality as time went on.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You clearly don't understand how much kernel tweaking would be required to get 5.12.5 running on the pw3

There aren't many people using the pw3 anymore, makes it harder to patch things with less bug reports. Glad they stopped sending updates, they would have only gone down in quality as time went on.
There are LOTS of people using a PW3. More so then the PW4 since the PW3 has been out a lot longer.

Why would kernel tweaking for the PW3 be that difficult? Besides, 5.12.5 may not need a kernel tweak. Also, the Voyage has 5.12.5 and it's also 7th gen hardware. So it may be similar enough that you don't need much changing to update the kernel.

While you don't like the PW3, lots do and it's perfectly good hardware. There's no reason 5.12.5 cannot run on it and if I'm wrong, Amazon should say why 5.12.5 is not available.

Please don't make such incorrect assumptions.